The Nuge Speaks ..... again.

SS bison aren't really in limbo in Montana, they are being bought and shot on game farms. I have no doubt that getting rid of game farms is going to be hard for you guys,just like getting rid of them in Texas would be.

Wild Bison are. I don't' consider game farmed Bison anything other than livestock. If your into shooting livestock go for it. But if and when we get wild free ranging Bison established, look out on the mutts. We'll attempt to do the same thing we did for elk and deer.

from the US national survey: Even NY has about 8 voices for wildlife compared to each 1 in Montana. When you cut out the wildlife watchers is when Texas surpases California, i.e. just hunter and/or fisher people.

(this helps put a perspective on our own view in our own state or region when we compare it to all the people's view in the US)

Table 50. Participation in Wildlife-Associated Recreation by State Residents Inside and Outside Their
Resident State: 2006
(Population 16 years old and older. Numbers in thousands)

United States, total . . . . 87,465
Alabama . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,417
Alaska. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 288
Arizona . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,233
Arkansas . . . . . . . . . . . .1,082
California . . . . . . . . . . . . 6,804
Colorado . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,735
Connecticut. . . . . . . . . . . 1,223
Delaware. . . . . . . . . . . . . 256
Florida . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4,626
Georgia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,415
Hawaii . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 227
Idaho. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 564
Illinois . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,886
Indiana . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,279
Iowa . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,306
Kansas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 979
Kentucky . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,667
Louisiana . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,106
Maine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 717
Maryland . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,549
Massachusetts . . . . . . . . . 1,931
Michigan . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3,651
Minnesota . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,480
Mississippi . . . . . . . . . . . . 896
Missouri . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,496
Montana . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 510
Nebraska. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 552
Nevada . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 530
New Hampshire . . . . . . . . . . 527
New Jersey . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,826
New Mexico. . . . . . . . . . . . 601
New York . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4,103
North Carolina . . . . . . . . . . 2,816
North Dakota . . . . . . . . . . . 232
Ohio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4,022
Oklahoma . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,372
Oregon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,531
Pennsylvania. . . . . . . . . . . . 4,165
Rhode Island . . . . . . . . . . . . 355
South Carolina . . . . . . . . . . .1,283
South Dakota . . . . . . . . . . . . 327
Tennessee . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,287
Texas. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5,481
Utah . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 764
Vermont . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 311
Virginia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,500
Washington. . . . . . . . . . . . . .2,315
West Virginia . . . . . . . . . . . . 735
Wisconsin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,217
Wyoming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 229

Interesting you claimed no game farms and no exotics in MT. I didn't realize Artic Wolves and Siberian Lynx were native. Pen raised whitetails. So shooting pen raised whitetails in MT with a camera is OK but shooting pen raised whitetails in TX with a gun is BAD.

http://www.tripledgamefarm.com/

I've never claimed there were no game farms in Montana. That would be number 8

I believe that animals like wolves, and Lynx aren't considered livestock. Are they hunting them? As far as livestock goes, and game farms, Exotics are illegal in Montana.

Whitetail deer are native here. You can ranch them.

So shooting pen raised whitetails in MT with a camera is OK but shooting pen raised whitetails in TX with a gun is BAD.

That would make number 9.
I don't like game farms. Period. They take habitat away from wild animals, and open the door for lots of bad things to take place.

Thats a whole other topic though.

Tom, if your happy with the way things are in Texas, then that's great. Far be it from me to tell Texas how to run things.

That should go both ways though.

SS never even hinted that i wanted to shoot livestock. Man you can spin it any way you want ,but the fact remains that Montana allows folks to shoot ''CRITTERS'' or what ever title you wish to give them on game farms, just like Texas. You dont have to like it but surely you can admit it, without some''ya but''.

Last edited:
SS never even hinted that i wanted to shot livestock. Man you can spin it any way you want ,but the fact remains that Montana allows folks to shoot ''CRITTERS'' or what ever title you wish to give them on game farms, just like Texas. You dont have to like it but surely you can admit it, without some''ya but''.

The point of all this BS, was to show that at least we're on the right track. We have done something about the privatization of our wildlife.

Texans and others are doing something too. Their perpetuating the continuation of more game farms by using them. More land will be high fenced, and therefore less habitat will be available to free ranging wildlife. If that's what they want then I have no bitch.

For the most part. Game farming in Montana, has declined significantly sense the banning of canned hunts for elk and deer in Montana. I have no statisticts where Buffalo are concerned. Ted Turner has a bunch though.

SS my point of all this BS, was to show that you shouldn't throw stones while living in a glass house. Montana and others are doing something too.Their perpetuating a decline in the NAM by allowing game farms and using them too. Allowing landowner to transfer tags, Auctioning tags,keeping me off Jose's land so outfitters can cash in with fat cats.

SS my point of all this BS, was to show that you shouldn't throw stones while living in a glass house. Montana and others are doing something too.Their perpetuating a decline in the NAM by allowing game farms and using them too. Allowing landowner to transfer tags, Auctioning tags,keeping me off Jose's land so outfitters can cash in with fat cats.

We can do better, no doubt. We are working on it. Is Texas? How about you? What are you doing besides trying to point out ant hills and how they are equally compared to moutains?

Trust me if you only knew what we, are working on..

We don't allow landowner transfer tags, There's very little auction type tags here. I think one in each of the big three, and then a deer, antelope, and elk. Not sure about the last part.

1, I have no idea what Texas is doing. 2, How about making sure that no one can hunt a big game animal in my home state, on a game farm now we have to get the same done with pen raised birds.Supporting a couple orgs that help secure habitat for wildlife, making my annual contributions to several western states wildlife dept.3 Feel free to call auction tags ,transferable tags,welfare for outfitters ant hills if you like ,but i would suggest that these''ant hills'' have kicked more oyo type guys to the curb than some Texan shooting circus animals.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to my weekend. It won't involve a corn-flinger, box blind, steer, fallow-deer, feral hog, hunting lease, woven wire fence, a strap on dildo, or a high-rack. It's easy to be jealous of what we have in Montana. :D I'll be whistling to the tune of Cat Scratch Fever thanking God I'm not stranded in Texas or any other state.

Spook, you were comparing game farms in Texas, and Montana. Thats where I said it was like a Mountain compared to a ant hill. The rest of your post makes no sense.

We don't have transferable tags.
Only a few auction tags.

SS the guy from Texas came on here and said something about high fences, and the feeding frenzy started. How can anyone jump the guy when we all live in states that are putting the screws to the oyo hunter.Crap man some of the loudest yells came from guys living in states pulling the same crap that they profess to hate most about Texas.I know i said it earlier but some of the stuff going on out west has done more to disenfranchise the average guy than anything going on in Texas,and to make it all the worst we are having the door shut on us and the door leads to our own house.

1.) Correct, MT hasn't sold all of it's tags yet. Let's see what happens at the end of the season though. Also, MT offers more tags than most western states except CO, IIRC. So, I'm not sure that you can use that as a barometer for wildlife management success or not.

2.) Again, you're looking at a product of the legislature where many hunters fought to kill this bill.

3.) A lot of MT sportsmen fought that native bill, and eventually we struck a deal to let it go through for some consideration from the sponsor. We got screwed on that. Also, remember that most of us who worked at the legislature had over 200 bills we were tracking and working on. Compared to the other bills, this one was not as high a priority. Hopefully in 2013, we'll have enough data to show what these licenses have done overall to the 17,000 NR draw for the deer/elk combo.

4.) FWP Ram sting was what it was. Some could argue that the Jury wasn't amenable to FWP, others would dispute. Show me any agency who gets it right 100% of the time.

5.) Bushman, etc hunting over food plots and crops isn't illegal. I'm not a fan of food plots, but I've shot plenty of whitetail in an alfalfa meadow. Those deer, however, have the opportunity to escape. Not so in a high fence.

6.) Hunting over crops is different than bait piles. Bait is designed to draw critters in with the specific intention of killing them. Ag land is just that, ag land. I've sat on the edge of a lot of fields and not had one deer within 20 acres of me. I'm sure that the same could be said of sitting over feeders, but again, the biggest difference is that the ag land isn't there to attract wildlife.

The difference with the things you present, and what we're talking about in regards to other states is this: MT sportsmen still fight to maintain high opportunity and conserved landscapes. MT sportsmen also refuse to be fed the scraps of leftover wildlife.

Thanks for the explanation. I think you are spot on.

We all vote and have a say in the federal issues, no matter what state the federal land is in and I plan on exercising that right even if its federal land in Montana, Wyoming or wherever. A resident buying a $50 tag and a non-resident buying a $1500 tag for the same animals makes it look like a resident free ride, eh?

A non-resident youth gets a lot of tags for $6 here and we have a lot of youth only public hunts and early seasons also. My hats off to anyone who introduces more youth to hunting.

Back