How young is too young to hunt.

In my opinion it depends on the kid and the circumstances they were raised in. I'm an old fart and was raised in a different time, but here's how it was for me...

Born in Alaska, Dad a lifelong outdoorsman and Mom a full blooded Inupiat Eskimo. Alaska was a big unsettled wilderness in the 60's. At 4 years old I started going hunting with my Dad for 1 week each fall in remote Alaska (as in Denali Highway remote, 300 miles form Anchorage with not much in between). I had a toy lever action .30-30 that I took along on those hunts; the rule was, treat it like a real rifle when we are out hunting. Roger that Dad.

Did that drill with the toy rifle for 2 years, that one week and many weekends each fall. Must have passed in my Dad's eyes, as a single shot Remington .22 was under the Christmas tree when I was 6. The next fall, I got to carry that unloaded when we were hunting; if we saw ptarmigan, I got to load up and try to get one. Got a few ptarmigan that fall, and a few snowshoe rabbits that winter. I cleaned and gutted the animals that I shot myself.

I would ask to go with my Dad every time he went to shoot a new rifle or pistol. After the rifle was sighted in, I would get to shoot a few rounds at the target from 50 to 75 yards (open sights) - loading the rifle myself, operating the safety, and shooting when ready. In my lifetime, I have never had someone load a firearm for me. By the time I was 9, I showed that I could keep the shots in the black part of the target (an 8 or 9 inch circle) with our Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine out to 100 yards; as a result I got to carry the .44 Magnum hunting moose and caribou starting the fall of my 9th year. We owned 12 or 13 firearms at the time, and at 9 years old I could tell you what caliber each one was, what ammo went with that firearm, where the safety was, and how to load and unload that firearm. A kid can grasp a lot if they are interested in something, and I was REALLY interested in hunting.

When I was 11 and carrying the .44 Magnum Carbine, we saw 2 caribou about 200 yards away across an open saddle. Dad shot one, but the limit was down to 1 caribou per hunter that year due to 2 bad winters. As we sat there for a moment, I asked him if I could shoot the other one. It's too far for your rifle, he said (200 yards open sights - we hadn't practiced that far with the .44). I said, "Can I use your rifle?" It was a Winchester Model 88 in .308 caliber with a 4x Weaver scope, sighted in at 250 yards, and I had shot it at the end of his sight-in sessions. He thought for a moment, then handed me the rifle. I laid my little backpack on the ground, jacked a shell in the chamber, and got the caribou in 2 shots.

As for understanding what killing means - we lived mostly on moose and caribou meat. When we got an animal, we would bring it home and hang it in the garage. Dad would put a 1/4" plywood sheet on top the dinner table, my Mom would call her sisters, and they would cut the moose/caribou up right on the table, a quarter at a time. By the time I was 6, I had my own little knife and Mom would give me pieces of the stew meat to cut into little chunks before wrapping in freezer paper. We never kept a set of antlers, but we kept all of the meat from every animal we shot.

I know that was a different time and environment, but some kids have the ability to absorb a lot if given the opportunity. I was given that opportunity, and took advantage of it as best I could.
Great share. Kids sometimes have to grow up faster than others. I was running tractors, driving trucks on roads and climbing silos at a pretty young age. We had an old ford 8n that I drove the hay wagon with when I was probably 9 or 10. Was never allowed to run the planter or drill, no matter my age lol. Was actually doing those things earlier than I was allowed to hunt big game by myself.

Depends on the kid/family, and I will err on the side of waiting with my own kids. My six year old enjoys flinging arrows and shooting bb’s at pop cans, and she’ll tag along in the woods sometimes. She also knows what death entails. If she told me tomorrow she wanted to kill animals, I could see getting her ready for small game over the next couple of years.

She’s in to gymnastics and swimming currently, which I am very happy about. I suspect the time we spend shooting and hunting now is more about quality time with dad than anything else. Perhaps it won’t ever go beyond that.

I started hunting when I was 7, and had no interest in killing an animal for another five years. By 13 I had hunters safety completed and I was given a single-shot 20 ga. for grouse and a loaner 30.30 for deer. I still remember my first wing shot grouse like it was yesterday. The adults didn’t believe I hit it until I held the bird up and showed them.

Things really took off after that. I built a longbow at 15 and by 16 I was driving hours from home by myself to bow hunt places I had pre-scouted with a plat book and USGS mail-order topo maps. I’m thankful my parents let me develop the desire on my own, and also let hunting be hard rather than spoon feed it to me.

I'm not a huge fan of Meateater, but I have to give them some credit for that article. Good points!

I have a 10 and 12 year old. In my home state there is no minimum age. We mostly hunt out west and not at home. They both have taken Hunters ED and are active out in the woods with me.

My boy is itching to shoot and kill anything that moves and is in season. I have not let him yet as I feel he is not ready. My 12 year old daughter is much more reserved and hesitant to shoot anything besides steel spinner targets. She has no mercy for those and absolutely pummels them with the 22. If she wanted to step it up I feel she is ready. She understands the gravity of taking a life.

I’ve taken them on 6-7 western hunts when animals were harvested. Obeying the rules and filling the freezer is the priority on those hunts. I look forward to not being the only shooter.

As far as a 6 year old? Not for me, I can’t get behind it. As mentioned previously, they are simply emulating the parent and not making a decision on their own.

As far as a 6 year old? Not for me, I can’t get behind it. As mentioned previously, they are simply emulating the parent and not making a decision on their own.
Curious, do you think kids emulate their parents when fishing?

My kids been fishing since 3 and loves it, whether its catching or cleaning them. Hes been working on his knife skills because he wants to clean his own fish and cut his own food. I wouldnt force any activity on my kid, but certainly want to support them when they ask repeatedly to do something.

Curious, do you think kids emulate their parents when fishing?

My kids been fishing since 3 and loves it, whether its catching or cleaning them. Hes been working on his knife skills because he wants to clean his own fish and cut his own food. I wouldnt force any activity on my kid, but certainly want to support them when they ask repeatedly to do something.
IMO

Younger kids emulate what their parents do. They are more happy about winning our approval than the actual deed. They like what we like. Socialization is a major influence on how the kid turns out.

When they get in their pre teens they start to make decisions more off from what their personal beliefs are. To me that’s why some kids who are initially in to it fall away from it. They take up sports, dating, and couch potatoing.

My daughter started hunting at 7. Got her a cricket 22 for Christmas one year and a bow when she was 5. I think it all depends how mature the kid is. Getting her into 4h shooting sports helped her with maturity and the safety aspect.

Attachments

• 20201025_083918.jpg
    20201025_083918.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231118_085303.jpg
    20231118_085303.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230909_071624.jpg
    20230909_071624.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • imagejpeg_1(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(1).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210829_165649_HDR.jpg
    20210829_165649_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171216_175841.jpg
    20171216_175841.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I just saw a post from a popular hunting fb page here in VA with a 4yr old getting his first deer... Like, how?
My grandparents told me the neighboring landowners' grandson shot a nice 10 and had to have somebody come out with a hound to find it first gun season a couple weeks ago. Nice I thought glad he found it when I saw the pictures. Grandson appeared to be in his early 20's. Wasn't til a few days ago I saw another picture and put the pieces together. The first pic I saw was the dad, the shooter was 4 years old. Was after his bed time apparently when they found the deer and wasn't in the pictures when they first found him. A little extreme I think.

Last edited:
My grandparents told me the neighboring landowners' grandson shot a nice 10 and had to have somebody come out with a hound to find it first gun season a couple weeks ago. Nice I thought glad he found it when I saw the pictures. Grandson appeared to be in his early 20's. Wasn't til a few days ago I sw another picture and put the pieces together. The first pic I saw was the dad, the shooter was 4 years old. Was after his bed time apparently when they found the deer and wasn't in the pictures when they first found him. A little extreme I think.
And folks need to realize the 4 year old was likely chucking slugs in the 20-40 ft lb of recoil range. Maybe he was shooting a straight wall cartridge but that was just made legal for this year. I'd rather shoot my .338WM than my sisters youth 870 20ga slug gun.

And folks need to realize the 4 year old was likely chucking slugs in the 20-40 ft lb of recoil range. Maybe he was shooting a straight wall cartridge but that was just made legal for this year. I'd rather shoot my .338WM than my sisters youth 870 20ga slug gun.
Only thing I could figure is a muzzlelaoder loaded way down or a cross gun.

I don't care what age the new hunter is so long as:
  1. They carry their own weapon while hunting in a safe and confident manner.
  2. They can be trusted to keep the muzzle under control in a safe direction all of the time
  3. They are accurate with the weapon at common hunting distances, and can put themselves in a position that is most accurate for the shot presented.
  4. They can identify the legal sex, age and species of the game they pursue.
  5. They can safely load and unload the weapon without assistance.
  6. The weapon fits the hunter
  7. The hunter wants to hunt and kill the game pursued, and understands how to do that in regards to shot placement.
I'm happy to alter my pace, or help with field dressing, or retrieval. I want the new hunter to be comfortable with their weapon because they are going to ALSO have to spot game, hike, make decisions to shoot or pass, and I don't want them to slip up with their weapon control or depend on me to get it loaded/unloaded, on target or put safety on or off. That all needs to be second nature before going afield. Whether they are 8, 18, 28 or 80....

While our kid may be a prodigy who can shoot doubles in the dove field at 6 years old, that's not going to be the least common denominator when it comes to statewide regulations. Take that into account. I'd rather have a first time hunter be some one who has been chomping at the bit to pull the trigger for 5 years than someone who feels unsure or nervous.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back