Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The Drought this year

buckykm1

With the drought in a lot of the western States this year, did it seem to effect where the Elk were, compared to normal years ?. I didn't see the Elk that i normally do, and just wondered if others had the same problem ?.

Kevin

no doubt it effected the deer this year around my place. the local creek is dry and we didn't see near as many animals this year

Seep springs in our area were dried up unlike in past years. No wallows in the bottoms like we usually see. Our fault for not scouting more....

Its dry here but the elk really didn't seem to mind in the area i was hunting. We have been in there the last few years and did not see a change in there patterns but its a local herd so who knows.

Here some reservoirs and wallows dried but for the most part it didn't affect them too much. I'm one of the worst elk hunters I know so not getting one is par for the course.

My concern is winter forage. Some of my range inventory work has a 25-50% reduction (depending on location) in standing forage. This may mean elk are going to push down into the hay meadows and cropland. You may see damage hunts in places where elk numbers are doing well.

Last year I couldnt get away from the elk and this year I didnt see a single one.

Probably because I actually had a tag this year, just saying

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back