Caribou Gear

How's bow season going for you

stoep

Anecdotal, but 322 seems to have 5x the number of people in it this year compared to last, from opener until now. The elk are already stacked up on private land. Equal number midweek and weekends. Wondering if there's a trend where we are going to see a lot more pressure during bow season.

Anecdotal, but 322 seems to have 5x the number of people in it this year compared to last, from opener until now. The elk are already stacked up on private land. Equal number midweek and weekends. Wondering if there's a trend where we are going to see a lot more pressure during bow season.
I've noticed the same thing in some of my zones. Bounced around a few times until I found a quiet area to hunt. Unfortunately, the elk are quiet also (elk seen daily but not heard).

FWIW I’ve never seen so many out of state bird hunters with camps. Something has got to give.

So. Many. Hunters. I've never seen these areas so packed before. Tons of out of state plates too which is mind boggling. The cherry on top was the outfitter telling me to go elsewhere because all his clients were set up. I have half a mind to hunt my old spots just to not see another hunter for the rest of the season (no elk either but the quiet is nice).

So. Many. Hunters. I've never seen these areas so packed before. Tons of out of state plates too which is mind boggling. The cherry on top was the outfitter telling me to go elsewhere because all his clients were set up. I have half a mind to hunt my old spots just to not see another hunter for the rest of the season (no elk either but the quiet is nice).
Certainly interesting, we have either shifted hunter behavior (which is likely) or fwp is not being forthcoming with hunter numbers (equally as likely). Either way it sucks.

Busier than ever, no doubt. Need to look at hunting more desolate reaches of the state, I think…

or go get myself et by a grizzly bear near the park trying to find animals in their natural habitat… the bike riders dog walkers nature hikers and etc are the ones that kill me during hunting season…. They don’t realize the impact they have on these animals safest reaches… At least most of the hunters are trying to be one with the landscape…

Of course, some kids roll in on a wheeler and do the ol’ shut it off, call for 3 min and fire it back up n peel off. On a hillside littered with elk perfectly glassable from the road on the other side. I’d been there listening to elk talk intermittently from 2:30 til 7pm when they showed up, and the elk went dead quiet… just sat all day for it to be blown out while the elk are on the same hill as all of us. Anyone wanna go to grizzly heaven and chase elk with me? I run about 17mph…..

I am setting on a hill hoping this bull might be some small chance wander over to the Public. My hopes were dashed when some guys from PA started to bugle and cow call four hundred yards down the boundary. If I can tell you are not an elk, You are not going to call in a bull with cows a half mile across open ground.🤦‍♂️ DSCN4607.JPG

Last edited:
I am setting on a hill hoping this bull might be some small chance wander over to the Public. My hopes were dashed when some guys from PA started to bugle and cow call a four hundred yards down the boundary. If I can tell you are not an elk, You are not going to call in a bull with cows a half mile across open ground.🤦‍♂️ View attachment 292979
Awesome bull!

322 is always the most crowded unit in the state in my opinion. It gets worst every year. I live in the unit and usually go elsewhere. I don’t understand why people think it’s so great, other than all of the roads.

It’s the same here in R6, ppl everywhere. There were camps set up hunting antelope (archery) and upland, mostly displaced western Mt folk. While I sympathize, please do the right thing, stay home feed a carpetbagger to a bear.

I've noticed the same thing in some of my zones. Bounced around a few times until I found a quiet area to hunt. Unfortunately, the elk are quiet also (elk seen daily but not heard).
Curious if the harvest numbers/hunters in ftw are correct. 322 in 2022 showed 8436 hunters that harvested 2865 elk. That would be a 34% success rate at face value. Is that bad odds? Do you think 2023 was a lot worse?

322 is always the most crowded unit in the state in my opinion. It gets worst every year. I live in the unit and usually go elsewhere. I don’t understand why people think it’s so great, other than all of the roads.
Curious if the harvest numbers/hunters in ftw are correct. 322 in 2022 showed 8436 hunters that harvested 2865 elk. That would be a 34% success rate at face value. Is that bad odds? Do you think 2023 was a lot worse?

What's your basis for thinking it's the most crowded?

That’s a great success rate for a general tag but it was an exception due to a huge snow storm that stacked the elk up on winter range early. I haven’t seen the numbers for 2023 but I’d be very surprised if they were much over 20%. It’s not a bad unit to elk hunt and there are places to get into bulls without much pressure for sure.

That’s a great success rate for a general tag but it was an exception due to a huge snow storm that stacked the elk up on winter range early. I haven’t seen the numbers for 2023 but I’d be very surprised if they were much over 20%. It’s not a bad unit to elk hunt and there are places to get into bulls without much pressure for sure.
Thank you for the info! That would make alot of since (early winter migration).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back