Tent vs tarp and sleeping bags

I’m looking at investing in a backcountry sleeping set up and wanted to get some opinions. Specifically, I’ve been looking at the Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2 P tent, but am now intrigued with their SkyAir ULT setup. By my calculation the SkyAir with all of the accessories (footprint, vestibule, and bug insert) would save me approx $200 and 3lbs over the tent setup. The tent would provide more room and be a little more comfortable I think. Downside to the ULT is it requiring trekking poles to set up, which seems like I’d have to set the whole thing up each evening and fully take down each morning if I’m going to be using the poles hiking.
As far as the sleeping bags go, also looking at the Stone Glacier and trying to decide between the 0 and the 15 degree options.

As of now, my backpack hunting is done in September with my bow. I would however like the flexibility with the gear to be able to stretch that into rifle season if weather is halfway decent. I have other sleeping options in rifle season when the weather gets real crappy and don’t really have an interest in tenting it when it’s -15 and snowing out.

Anyways, looking for others pros and cons of their setups. Is a 0 degree bag overkill? Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
I have a Kuiu Mountain Star 2p that is my favorite tent of all time, checks every box. My only complaint is the poles, I wanted something for nice weather that I could stick the poles in a side pocket. This drew me to the SG ULT as well, and like you I wanted to be able to leave it pitched and have my trekkers too.

I found out that the ULT is made by SlingFin for SG, and their version is called the Split Wing. It’s not really any cheaper than SG, and comes in red, but they seem to have it in stock almost all the time. But, I found out from SlingFin that Ruta Locura makes carbon poles specifically for the ULT/Split Wing that are adjustable and pack really small.

I have a couple quilts now, and I doubt I’ll go back to a mummy bag, they just work better for me.

IMG_1008.jpeg

This is the tarp, mesh insert, footprint, vestibule, stakes, and poles, .9kg or 1.98 pounds, and it will compress further from here.

I have a Kuiu Mountain Star 2p that is my favorite tent of all time, checks every box. My only complaint is the poles, I wanted something for nice weather that I could stick the poles in a side pocket. This drew me to the SG ULT as well, and like you I wanted to be able to leave it pitched and have my trekkers too.

I found out that the ULT is made by SlingFin for SG, and their version is called the Split Wing. It’s not really any cheaper than SG, and comes in red, but they seem to have it in stock almost all the time. But, I found out from SlingFin that Ruta Locura makes carbon poles specifically for the ULT/Split Wing that are adjustable and pack really small.

I have a couple quilts now, and I doubt I’ll go back to a mummy bag, they just work better for me.

View attachment 274611

This is the tarp, mesh insert, footprint, vestibule, stakes, and poles, .9kg or 1.98 pounds, and it will compress further from here.
How roomy is the SG ULT setup? Do you have plenty of room for one person plus some gear? Comfortable taking it in 3.5 or 4 season weather?

How roomy is the SG ULT setup? Do you have plenty of room for one person plus some gear? Comfortable taking it in 3.5 or 4 season weather?
It has plenty of room, I am really happy with the space. I'd take it out anytime I wasn't expecting to see any significant snow, which is where it fits into my tent collection.

My 2 cents is a pound or 2 more is worth it for sleeping bags, pads and tent. I skimp other places.

Back