Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tape at the end of barrel?

I use plastic wrap, the kind your wife puts over the bowl that she put leftovers in.
Been doing this for over 40 some odd years to stop rain, snow, or just plain humidity from causing moisture to make a shot from my flintlock to go somewhere it wasn't aimed for.
As stated earlier, the ball pushing itself down the bore displaces the air and the pressure destroys the plastic wrap well before the bullet reaches it. I do the same to my 30-06 during our rifle season.

I know of the electrical tape concept, but I'm uneasy about it giving a good seal.

I use plastic wrap, the kind your wife puts over the bowl that she put leftovers in.
Been doing this for over 40 some odd years to stop rain, snow, or just plain humidity from causing moisture to make a shot from my flintlock to go somewhere it wasn't aimed for.
As stated earlier, the ball pushing itself down the bore displaces the air and the pressure destroys the plastic wrap well before the bullet reaches it. I do the same to my 30-06 during our rifle season.

I know of the electrical tape concept, but I'm uneasy about it giving a good seal.
I've used both electrical tape and masking tape (wrapped tight). Never had an issue.

Reactions: Guy
I've used both electrical tape and masking tape (wrapped tight). Never had an issue.

If you remember the recent rainy day during the Pa flintlock season, I hunted in that rain all afternoon.
Admittedly, I not only had a cows knee protecting the lock, but the lock has been tuned/mated between pan and frizzen, as well as plastic wrap sealing the bore.
Admittedly, I may go a little overboard keeping my powder dry, even changing the priming powder every 1/2 hour or so when it's raining/snowing.... and only once many years ago did it fail to go bang before using the plastic wrap, which is the reason the afore mentioned precautions are used. Never had that problem again.

But....the electrical tape will work most of the time....I simply chose what I believe the better option.
Whatever works. Just adding an alternative to the thread....Never hurts to weigh the options.

I ise the little medical finger condoms and wrap a piece of tape to hold them on.
No littering as the force exiting the barrel obliterates the end of the finger condom.

You can get a lifetime supply for a few bucks.

Last edited:
I ise the lottle medical finger condoms and wrap a piec of tape to hold them on.
No littering as the force exiting the barrel obliterates the end of the finger condom.

Now that is an option worthy of consideration!
Faster, easier, definately providing a good seal.

I may have to head over to the drug store and check if they have a size to fit a flinter with one inch across the flats. Thank you

electrical tape on the end of a barrel is a great way to keep all sorts of stuff out but yeah rain and snow are most common. Just shoot with the tape on. It doesn't affect the shot.
I got a better way. Saran wrap and a rubber band. You can use the saran wrap multiple times, and extremely easy to change.

Definitely would tape a muzzy. Condensation is a pretty minor concern compared, with snow/rain/mud.
I used a flintlock for 20 years in Penna. I always used saran wrap and a rubber band over the muzzle. And you can reuse the saran wrap multiple times if it's reasonable big. The rubber band keeps it around the barrel and out of your line of sight. Simple & easy and BOOM! Then on the flash hole I wadded up a piece of saran wrap stock it to close off the flash hole and put the flint down on it. I primed when I say a deer coming near. The saran wrap fell out.

I’m a tape fan now. I was hesitant to tape so used Saran Wrap and elastic but it got torn in heavy bush.

I have a mental block with regards to this. Just can’t make myself do it so I just keep my muzzle off the ground.

I ise the little medical finger condoms and wrap a piece of tape to hold them on.

You can get a lifetime supply for a few bucks.
I used the finger cots but they kept getting ripped when I put my rifle in the scabbard while hunting off horseback. I always carry a roll of black electrical tape in my pack comes in handy a lot.

Man, you ever had to wear one of those things in an actual work setting? Talk about everyone looking at you funny. Been there done that unfortunately.

I keep everything simple. I carry my gun barrel down. I can shoulder it faster that way. No tape needed.
It's been several years since you posted this, but I just saw it...

On one of my antelope hunts years ago in eastern Montana I shot a buck which blew the tape off the muzzle of my riflle. I didn't re-tape it because I was done hunting and was just going to walk back to my truck to get my game carrier. The ground was wet from a recent snow storm which made that eastern Montana gumbo very slippery. Walking down the steep side of a draw, I slipped and sat down, causing the muzzle of my rifle to dig into the mud.

A minute or two of putting tape back on the muzzle of my rifle would have prevented a clogged barrel and an immediate cleaning job when I got back to camp.

Haha, didn't think of how humorous it sounded when I typed it originally, was just purely the practical (frugal) side of me, lol. I do use elec tape to secure the glove fingers to the muzzle, and have had the same couple of rolls for a few years. "100 uses out of one roll?!"

• Haha
Reactions: JAG
I use the tape but the string at end of barrel is interesting. I do have a difficult time gauging wind, now if i had a way to gauge slope angle in the field .

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back