Caribou Gear

Take Back Your Elk

True for right now, but it looks like others will be joining them in the near future (WY and MT).

New Mexico’s tag system is one of the best (if not the best) in the west. No need to mess with things when they are working so well.
Everyone can dream I guess

While I have shared my viewpoints, it is irrelevant what I or any other NR thinks about New Mexico fish and game laws.

They are resident decisions to make, the rest of us just respond accordingly.
Not necessarily irrelevant, as you can always become a landowner in New Mexico and pay taxes to NM and improve that NM land. Which is doing more for elk than those putting in for a draw with minimal dollars as a resident and doing nothing else.

I just don't see how a population of people can ever advocate for less options to hunt.

Currently they can:

1. Put in for the Public draw
2. They can buy and improve land for elk
3. They can buy a percentage of the tags.

Instead, some of these organizations would rather allow people one singular option. Get lucky in the draw...that is the only way you would get to hunt. The odds still aren't in your favor that way.

It is nice to have a larger percentage in the draw. The current format allows everyone to control their own hunting destiny past the draw... as options #2 and #3 allow for that

Last edited:
Not necessarily irrelevant, as you can always become a landowner in New Mexico and pay taxes to NM and improve that NM land. Which is doing more for elk than those putting in for a draw with minimal dollars as a resident and doing nothing else.

I just don't see how a population of people can ever advocate for less options to hunt.

Currently they can:

Instead, some of these organizations would rather allow people one singular option. Get lucky in the draw...that is the only way you would get to hunt. The odds still aren't in your favor that way.

It is nice to have a larger percentage in the draw. The current format allows everyone to control their own hunting destiny past the draw... as options #2 and #3 allow for that
Great other than blowing up the NAM.

1) Wildlife is a public resource and held in public trust. In the Unites States, wildlife is considered a public resource, independent of the land or water where wildlife may live. Government at various levels have a role in managing that resource on behalf of all citizens and to ensure the long-term sustainability of wildlife populations.
7) The democracy of hunting and fishing. In keeping with democratic principles, government allocates access to wildlife without regard for wealth, prestige, or land ownership

Currently they can:

The current system sure could use some better advocates. @hank4elk does a fantastic job talking about how the programs have benefitted wildlife on his property as well as everyday people who get to enjoy his work. The quote above just pisses people off and reignites their fire to actually eliminate the program. Solid work building more advocates against ya!

Last edited:
The current system sure could use some better advocates. @hank4elk does a fantastic job talking about how the programs have benefitted wildlife on his property as well as everyday people who get to enjoy his work. The quote above just pisses people off and reignites their fire to actually eliminate the program. Solid work building more advocates against ya!
The problem is for every good one there is 10 other idiots trying to figuring out away to work the system.

we can only hope Transferable land owner tags are going to go away the same way auction tags did in arizona

Great other than blowing up the NAM.

1) Wildlife is a public resource and held in public trust. In the Unites States, wildlife is considered a public resource, independent of the land or water where wildlife may live. Government at various levels have a role in managing that resource on behalf of all citizens and to ensure the long-term sustainability of wildlife populations.
7) The democracy of hunting and fishing. In keeping with democratic principles, government allocates access to wildlife without regard for wealth, prestige, or land ownership
Seems like most states don't follow number 7 very well. Governor tags, landowner tags seems wealth, prestige, and especially land ownership definitely open up more opportunity. Hell in my state a landowner dosen't even have to buy tags as long as they're hunting on their property.

Seems like most states don't follow number 7 very well. Governor tags, landowner tags seems wealth, prestige, and especially land ownership definitely open up more opportunity. Hell in my state a landowner dosen't even have to buy tags as long as they're hunting on their property.
Sounds like you have work to do.

You are splitting hairs. New Mexico issues far more transferable private landowner elk tags than all other western states combined. End of story. Who cares about this one instance and post about it? It is irrelevant.

We have maybe 3% or 4% of the all the elk tags in the west. And 65% or so of all the private transferable elk tags.

Splitting hairs? Using dishonesty to promote an agenda is splitting hairs? Dishonesty is irrelevant when it's used to promote something you agree with? This is a New Mexican issue, land owners vs non land owners, the majority of transferable tags pass through a New Mexican resident and after last weeks draw results I'll be sitting here patiently waiting for the SCR list to come out so I can hopefully help improve a resident landowners quality of life.

I still say that you need to evaluate the resident pool and see where those tags are going. There are loopholes and rules there that work against the "true residents" of New Mexico.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back