Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Subsonic?

Djfan

Can someone please explain to me why this is a thing to some shooters? I just don't have enough info, and most of the google results are too technical.

thanks.

Wiki;

Subsonic ammunitions are ammunitions designed to operate at velocities below the speed of sound, which at standard conditions is 340.29 m/s (1,116.4 ft/s) or Mach 1. This avoids the supersonic shockwave or "crack" of a supersonic bullet, which, particularly for suppressed firearms, influences the loudness of the shot.[1][2][3]

Subsonic ammunition usually uses heavier bullets to retain as much energy as possible at the lower velocities. Some subsonic ammunition is used in non-suppressed firearms to gain the advantages of heavier bullet weights.

Wiki;

Subsonic ammunitions are ammunitions designed to operate at velocities below the speed of sound, which at standard conditions is 340.29 m/s (1,116.4 ft/s) or Mach 1. This avoids the supersonic shockwave or "crack" of a supersonic bullet, which, particularly for suppressed firearms, influences the loudness of the shot.[1][2][3]

Subsonic ammunition usually uses heavier bullets to retain as much energy as possible at the lower velocities. Some subsonic ammunition is used in non-suppressed firearms to gain the advantages of heavier bullet weights.
What is that advantage gained?

As most of these guys have mentioned, the primary benefit of subs is they are darn near silent through a suppressor. Supersonic rounds still have a loud crack as the projectile breaks the sound barrier.

Another, much more limited benefit of subsonics, is in some rimfire match applications. Projectiles tend to destabilize as they pass back through the sound barrier when going from supersonic to subsonic. Many match shooters prefer to stay below supersonic in order to avoid this destabilization at range.

I shoot 1050fps subs out of my 22s for squirrels.
No crack, I don't need earpro, and they don't scatter at the shot.
Shot a few out to 70 yards this year, but most shots are between 10 and 30.

Don't have any cans yet. Looking forward to getting one for the 22s

I know a guy who has a little shooting range set up in his garage in town. He shoots subsonic so as to not attract attention.

As the bullet passes downward through the sound of speed it gets bumped/upset and looses some accuracy. Staying subsonic prevents this. The local long distance 22 league guys almost all shoot subsonic ammo but not necessarily in suppressed rifles. I'm quite confident some people do not want their guns to make any noise. Kind of like farts that don't stink. Whatever floats your boat.

Subsonic doesn't necessarily have to do with power. You could have the same amount of energy but just go slower than the speed of sound. For instance, use a much heavier bullet. Subsonic is common for 300 BO, but you can also use light bullets if subsonic doesn't matter to you.

.458 socom subs with 500 grain bullets. Benefit: Hunt your neighbors place while he is home without him hearing a thing.

Back