Can we just put HuntTalk forums behind a login?

jpcoll01

Everyone is worried (some rightly so) about unit info being available through a simple google search and folks aren't really getting better about not posting identifying info so can @Big Fin or one of his admins just make it so you have to have a login to see the content of threads. Seems like a 10 minute change and none of the google links will go directly to a thread anymore and no new ones will be indexed or created. Shouldn't have much impact on users as folks can still create a login if they want, but should cut down on people who created a login JUST because they saw AZ Unit XX in a google search result. Just a thought.

We've considered this for the "Tags & Application" forum segment for the last year. Still not sure how it could best be done. We've talked to our tech company who runs the forum and it can work. It takes some work, more than 10 minutes. It will take a lot more maintenance by us. It will require help from forum members to keep it working as intended. And it will piss off some people.

I'm thinking that only Registered Members with "X" (like 100+) posts can see what is in that forum segment. But, I've not vetted if that accomplishes the desired outcome.

We touched on it again about a week ago as part of our planning and "to do" list items. Some folks have suggested we make a small fee for that forum segment, but I'm not in favor of that. I think we have other ways to accomplish the same result, just a function of how much more work load it adds to me, Matthew, and Mrs. Fin.

I talked to GOHUNT about how they handle this concern with their INSIDER platform. Since their product is behind a paywall, it's not as much of an issue for them.

I suspect we'll have a decision on this as part of our 2024 planning. I'll keep folks updated on what we decide.

I like that a lot of the discussion is open to anyone. Specifically, the threads related to regulations, access, bills, etc. Seems like lurkers and active members would benefit from being aware of this type of information seamlessly. A lot of BS gets thrown out though and this could help reduce that.

I do think if you hang around HT long enough you get a pretty good idea on who has a handle on the different states. I've reached out to some guys regarding ideas on specific units I'm thinking about burning points on and usually guys are pretty open to discussion. Usually an out of state hunt is a once every 3-10 year type hunt. Guys are willing to help if they feel you can help them with a unit or state they might be interested in hunting down the road. I've also provided information to guys that have reached out and it's led to them having success on a hunt through PM's. I pay for gohunt and have used it to put hunts together, but I'd say it's really generic information and is often times pretty inaccurate. I look at their write ups on Montana units I'm familiar with and find their descriptions are pretty contrary to my take on the unit.

I will say, if you cracked the code and created an environment where guys like Buzz, Oak, Antleradar, GH, Bambi, ect, ect would be more open to discussing unit specific info, i'd be paying for that information in a heartbeat lol.

I'm thinking that only Registered Members with "X" (like 100+) posts can see what is in that forum segment. But, I've not vetted if that accomplishes the desired outcome.

This could promote a lot more of the spammy type new user comments to reach the threshold for access to that section. I don't know how to counter that, but maybe something to consider.

Me either. A lot of people will likely post outside of that subsection and ask for unit specific help under a different subsection like 'elk' or 'deer'. May cut it down quite a bit, though.

Me either. A lot of people will likely post outside of that subsection and ask for unit specific help under a different subsection like 'elk' or 'deer'. May cut it down quite a bit, though.
If you go to the Elk forum and search just it for the word “Unit” in titles it is already rampant. I would guess deer is the same.

Plugging up just the application thread probably won’t accomplish much without significant cleaning and constant monitoring.

This could promote a lot more of the spammy type new user comments to reach the threshold for access to that section. I don't know how to counter that, but maybe something to consider.
I'd toast them if they were here to just build their post count. I've done that with a few who are trying to get to ten posts so they can start some BS post and then never come back.

That's where we would need a lot of member help. First, in helping us locate all the threads that should be behind such a door. And when people post stuff in the wrong place, help identifying those so we can move them. That is why I said this project will come with a ton of maintenance on our part and need help from forum members.

If you go to the Elk forum and search just it for the word “Unit” in titles it is already rampant. I would guess deer is the same.

Plugging up just the application thread probably won’t accomplish much without significant cleaning and constant monitoring.
Agreed. That is part of what we are assessing. But, if it was helpful to the contributing members of this forum, we're willing to consider that. It is already a ton of work to monitor. This will add to it. But, if the value is there, we'd consider how we find or reallocate resources to accomplish that.

Length of time since joining should probably play a part as well. It'd take me another 5 years to join the club as long as I only post about things I know about, which is very little.

That's where we would need a lot of member help. First, in helping us locate all the threads that should be behind such a door. And when people post stuff in the wrong place, help identifying those so we can move them. That is why I said this project will come with a ton of maintenance on our part and need help from forum members.

Agreed. That is part of what we are assessing. But, if it was helpful to the contributing members of this forum, we're willing to consider that. It is already a ton of work to monitor. This will add to it. But, if the value is there, we'd consider how we find or reallocate resources to accomplish that.
Can you name members as moderators with only the ability to move threads? So we can assist in cleaning and maintaining?

If a new user starts a thread and it’s moved they will no longer have access. In that case should it just be deleted until they meet qualifications?

I feel like a 100 post minimum to post a thread in the "Tags & Application" would be helpful as well as a minimum number of posts to read that forum, that said...
I do think if you hang around HT long enough you get a pretty good idea on who has a handle on the different states. I've reached out to some guys regarding ideas on specific units I'm thinking about burning points on and usually guys are pretty open to discussion. Usually an out of state hunt is a once every 3-10 year type hunt. Guys are willing to help if they feel you can help them with a unit or state they might be interested in hunting down the road. I've also provided information to guys that have reached out and it's led to them having success on a hunt through PM's. I pay for gohunt and have used it to put hunts together, but I'd say it's really generic information and is often times pretty inaccurate. I look at their write ups on Montana units I'm familiar with and find their descriptions are pretty contrary to my take on the unit.
this is accurate, I've answered plenty of people who have hit me up via PM, if you did your homework and ask good questions I'll help you out...
I agree that any advice from the internet is super questionable at best, gohunt and such is 90% worthless for how good a unit is, even talking to others who had the tag is not a given, units change, weather changes, better to do your own detective work...

Last edited:
I generally agree, but then I suggest you also consider a login guarded area for "Just pulled my tag, where to hunt unit X" type posts - something like "Unit Specific Advice Forum". Otherwise you will either flood "tags & applications" with post-draw unit related questions or you will still have some of the same "I don't want to help this person because of google masses" in the public general forums where these types of asks occur. Frankly, as a NR with limited time to visit the mountain west and more interest in making memories with my boy and putting meat in the freezer than hanging a trophy, I find good unit specific advice (where to camp, where to get gas, which landowner might allow trespass for a fee, which portions of the unit hold more animals late in season, etc) more valuable than tag strategy.

Length of time since joining should probably play a part as well. It'd take me another 5 years to join the club as long as I only post about things I know about, which is very little.
I'm in the same boat, not that it really matters. Odds are low I'd ever get to take advantage of that information anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back