Still or spot/stalk....

Whoops, that was supposed to be deers!!! I guess I was thinking of something else.

There was quite a heated debate concerning patterning of muleys in the past. I think DS or Buzz might have an opinion on that.;)

Remember that well

Moosie:

Sitting does not come naturally to me so I have forced myself to learn how to sit still. I can accomplish this with much effort and only when accompanied by some intellectual problem to keep my mind occupied.

Most often I try to arrive at my chosen spot well before the sun comes up. I wait there for a couple hours until the sun is well into the sky. Eventually my toes get so cold that I have to get moving (good excuse huh). ;) Then I still hunt along some game trail with fresh sign. When I come to a likely looking spot, I will sit there for a hour or so and hope that something walks by.

I try to find natural vantage points where I can glass long distances and spend lots of time carefully studying the edges of woods or cover.

I stay in the field all day and walk back in the dark.

KC

Allow this older person to pass on a little valuable information to you younger, more energetic types. It only takes one time of sitting on a hill and watching three 28" plus bucks circle a group of hunters who are "sneaking" thru the bush, to convince you that it's better to sit and watch and let the bucks do the moving around as the less disciplined hunters move them around then it is to be a less disciplined hunter and spend days walking through the bush. I've watched very good hunters move deer at over 1/2 mile. When visability is less than 100 yards you can still hunt through half the deer in the state and miss every one of them. I would rather stay up high with a good pair of binoculars and a rifle that I have confidence in than to bust off thru the bush lookin. I get bored and do that sometime, but it's never successful.

:cool:

I got the biggest deer I ever shot sitting still and waiting in a good area during rut time. I got the second biggest deer by walking up to him and shooting him. The biggest turkey I ever got I stalked near and waited, the second biggest I sat and waited and called. I forgot the question, they say memory is the second thing to go, I forget the first.

Hey Danr55, Did you shoot any of those big 28+ ones you watched? Any pictures, it sounds awesome! :cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-06-2002 14:38: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back