7600 Makeover

That came out great. Always loved the way the 7600 carried...never saw one that would shoot nice tight groups or had a butter smooth trigger unfortunately.
My trigger leaves something to be desired as well however I have a 30-06 carbine that seems to group sub MOA with hand loads. Not blistering fast but I posted these groups earlier this morning in this old post...

Citristrip needs time to work, but the gunk in the checkering is real. I have found success using a soft brass brush to clean that out, but you can round off some of the points.

Looks awesome. Nice work on a classic woods gun!

Citristrip needs time to work, but the gunk in the checkering is real. I have found success using a soft brass brush to clean that out, but you can round off some of the points.

Looks awesome. Nice work on a classic woods gun!
I left it on for 4 or 5 hours at a time, but still found it took a lot of work to get the finish off. It did work, though, so I guess no real complaints.
I never had the guts to try a metal brush, but I did do a lot of rubbing with a stiff plastic brush, which was helpful. I think the most helpful advice I got was from @p_ham and that was to do several good washings of the area with mineral spirits, brushing after each. The last few stubborn bits, I cheated and used a straightened fish hook.

I have a 7600 in .30-06. It belonged to my father. It has a plastic butt plate and would like to put a recoil pad on it. What length of pull did you make that rifle?

I have a 7600 in .30-06. It belonged to my father. It has a plastic butt plate and would like to put a recoil pad on it. What length of pull did you make that rifle?
I made it 14.5"

I'm 6'4" and my upland shotgun is 15.5" which is perfect for that kind of shooting. I keep my waterfowl shotgun a little shorter than that because I tend to be wearing bulkier clothing when duck hunting. For this rifle, I wanted it to be long enough that my sight picture was pretty natural when mounting, but short enough to be able to work with different thicknesses of clothing, standing, sitting, etc. 14.5 was just a compromise.

I made it 14.5"

I'm 6'4" and my upland shotgun is 15.5" which is perfect for that kind of shooting. I keep my waterfowl shotgun a little shorter than that because I tend to be wearing bulkier clothing when duck hunting. For this rifle, I wanted it to be long enough that my sight picture was pretty natural when mounting, but short enough to be able to work with different thicknesses of clothing, standing, sitting, etc. 14.5 was just a compromise.
Assumed you were a taller dude. When i cut my stock for the recoil pad ill have to make it a zero change in LOP. Im short at 5'8".

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back