Still Confused with Wyoming Pref. Point System

uster19

So I am trying to understand the WY PP system. I have watched Randy's video and read other information but I still have a question.

If a unit requires 8 PP to have a good chance at drawing then I need to spend $30 x 8 = $240 on PP. Then I spend $286 on a tag for a total of $526. Or I can just skip that and have a decent shot and go for the Special tag for $526. Am I missing something here? Why would I do PP for a tough unit if I can just go with the Special tag and have a really good chance?

A lot of people do exactly what you are describing. You just have to look at the drawing odds and determine if it is worth paying the special fee to knock a few years of applying. I don't think most areas have an eight point difference between regular and special though. I have paid the special fee just so I could get a tag and a point several times.

You are mostly right. But with further research you will learn that many of the highly prized public land tags require just as many pref pts in the special draw. The special draw doesn't bypass the pref pts system.

The special draw improves your odds, but it will take some preference points even with special draw. Take unit 62 for example, the regular draw odds were 20% for 8 points and the special draw was 100% at 8 points. It just all depends on the year, but you more than likely you won't draw an 8 point unit without getting lucky in the random draw in regular or even special. You usually just get better odds with the special draw.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I need to decide if I want to start racking up PP.

You are confused because you are trying to use financial reason and it does not apply with hunting. :)

Just buy the points, by time you figure it out will be able to draw a decent tag. FYI you need preference points to draw on special tags also in many zones.

C

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back