MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Starting the long term plan NOW!!

SFC B

If any of ya'll saw my "who am I" post you know that I am fairly new to hunting but am trying to make up for lost time. So far in 6 years I have done WTs, got an elk last year and did goose/upland hunt this year. Since I have started hunting I have always dreamed about a moose hunt. While my fanatasy is an AK/YUK in the wilderness I don't know if that is realistic for me as I don't have any family to go alone as labor..er ah...I am hunting partners :) and I have never been to AK yet. I am looking for thoughts on the best places to DIY considering tag availability and access along with $$$. I will retire from the military in a few years and am planning on this being my present to myself. While I would love to kill a monster, experience and meat are my main goals. I am just not a trophy guy. Thanks for any and all input.

SFC B,

I was lucky enough to do a moose hunt in my home state of MN while there was still a season. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately started looking into how I could do it again someday. Unfortunately moose is a pretty expensive proposition no matter how you look at it. Depending on where you are from, applying out west to do a hunt probably means a lot of money invested in preference points for a shot at possibly drawing a license someday, at which time you will still have an expensive tag to buy.

An Alaska hunt would be the ultimate, but I would look into NW Ontario for sure. You need to go through an outfitter, but you can do an unguided hunt. Just have them drop you off at a lake and start hunting. If you learn to call and are in a decent area, moose are not that hard to hunt so a guide is not needed. I think this would be a great trip, and probably cheaper than building points out west. It's what I'll have to look into if I ever want to do moose again. The other state I looked at was Idaho since it's a completely random draw. You won't be behind the game there, and could possibly draw your first year trying.

Good luck!

I am in the process of putting together a moose hunt. Most of the states that have moose hunts are long shots on a draw. If you don't have points you might want to start trying for Idaho. They have the best odds around. My research has led me to believe you can do an Alaska moose hunt for about $5000. Might be a little more or less. Depends on what type of hunt you are after. You can fing a guided moose hunt in Canada (not a yukon) for about the same. My plans are currently on hold as I might be moving to Alaska this May. If I do then the alaska moose hunt is the way I will go. It is a dream hunt of mine and I have decided to do it. I am simply putting money away every month until I can go. I still apply in most states but don't really think I will draw. If I do I will have money saved to take my wife on a nice vacation.

Last edited:
If you're not worried about antlers, you might want to look in to applying for cow tags.

Cow tags here in CO are still a WAAYY long shot and $$ (even having to front the money to get PPs is a bit much). I looked at the Ontario deal and it doesn't look like a bad option. Not too much $$ but would definitely be a guided hunt I think. This will probably be a one time thing so I will take my time.

I have decided to start an actual account and start squirelling away some$$. That is the only way I will make it happen. :)

At this point it would probably be from Ontario west so that I can drive and bring home all the meat, cape, etc.

$27 now :)

For my two cents worth. If I would just start now with no points go for a cow tag within the lower states this year. There are a lots of tags out there to be had. If you're just looking for that experience and the meat. It makes Great DIY hunt. Then put in for POINTS across the board this year and a bull tag later down the road. That's would be workable for this fall.

Last edited:
Apply for moose in Idaho. Lots of units in the mid teens to 25% draw odds. Tags are a little expensive at 2k+, but cheaper than an alaskan hunt.

I looked at the harvest stats for Idaho and they look pretty good....either way I still have to save up. Even a trip to Idaho and back plus tag would run me $$$.

I was lucky to start a long-term plan 15 years ago. Drew Wyoming moose in 2011, and New Hampshire in 2012. Took a small bull and a honker. Now got 15 points in Maine, and just applying for 5 best units there. Should draw that some day. The rules/odds have changed since my time. None of the existing lotteries are good values any more. If I were you, starting out on the ground floor, I'd just do a semi-guided in Ontario or NF, perhaps Alaska if you are determined.

I've been to Alaska seven times in 15 years, but I drew a "Once in a Lifetime" ND resident moose tag for 2013 and will be hunting in my own back yard for a change! No points system in ND, so 23 years of nonrefundable $3 fees and $20 for the license after successful draw (all total $89 and 23 years of waiting). Needless to say, no Alaska trip this fall for me (maybe AK next year)...

I've been to Alaska seven times in 15 years, but I drew a "Once in a Lifetime" ND resident moose tag for 2013 and will be hunting in my own back yard for a change! No points system in ND, so 23 years of nonrefundable $3 fees and $20 for the license after successful draw (all total $89 and 23 years of waiting). Needless to say, no Alaska trip this fall for me (maybe AK next year)...

What unit did you draw? I drew my ND moose in 2010 and a ND Elk in 2011. The moose hunt was probably one of the best memories I have hunting.

alwayshunting, You're a pretty lucky guy to pull back to back tags, will you buy me some powerball tickets if I sent you $. I drew in unit M-10, haven't drawn an elk or bighorn sheep tag in ND yet.

if you don't look at Idaho, your selling yourself short. some of/if not the very best trophy odds in the west. the price of the tag if you do draw is ridiculous and IDFG rapes people on it, but it's the price you pay to not have to mess around with preference points. you could draw the best moose tag in the state your first year applying. that's i think why our tag fees are so high for trophy species. the 100% random draw scares people off but it can work to your advantage. it's probably your cheapest route.

PS, if you draw, you will shoot a moose, don't worry about going home empty handed.

if you don't look at Idaho, your selling yourself short. some of/if not the very best trophy odds in the west. the price of the tag if you do draw is ridiculous and IDFG rapes people on it, but it's the price you pay to not have to mess around with preference points. you could draw the best moose tag in the state your first year applying. that's i think why our tag fees are so high for trophy species. the 100% random draw scares people off but it can work to your advantage. it's probably your cheapest route.

PS, if you draw, you will shoot a moose, don't worry about going home empty handed.

It would definitely be nice to be able to drive to the hunt. Getting "a" moose would be my main goal. I am not really a trophy guy (although I wouldn't let one walk :) ). Once I have the money for at least tags and travel that will be a sure consideration.

Back