Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spring Turkey with a 410?

Horn Seeker

Anyone? This will be my girls first year... I've got my first shotgun, a 410, that is cut to fit a small kid.... 3 inch mags with 2's or BB's or something? Close range? What do you think?

If not, I've got 20's and 12's too... but I'd like to use this cause it fits her so well, she's Little....

Thanks!

No, use 6's and make sure the shot is close, real close...Only way I'd do it with a 410! Not enough bb's in the 2's and BB's...

That and teach her only a head neck shot...

#7 or #6 hevi shot or other HD equivilent. Turkey loads kick, it's a fact of life. A .410 might help alleviate some of the kick but for not much more kick and alot more payload I would personally go the 20 ga. route even with a kid.

The .410 is capable of doing the job with a good head shot. As for the shot size I would pattern whatever keeps the most dense pattern. I would think that 6's would be the best but you never know till you send them down the barrel.

My daughter started with a 20 guage 1100 rem. seemed to take some of the sting out of the shot. Although I have rarely heard of anyone complaining about the sting when they were shooting at an animal.

You might start her with dove loads at the range. When it comes time to hunt let her use the real thing without saying anything. It's a dirty trick, but she won't notice when she's actually shooting a tom and it's better than having her miss because she got recoil shy. I really hate shooting turkey loads... Just a thought.

If you're talking about an old h&r singleshot or something similar, you are better off with the 20 ga. 1100. the stock design on the old singles was poor and will thump her more than the semi, which will promote flinching. Jim

What model 20? You can pick up a youth stock pretty cheap. Our Turkey gun is a 870 20 gauge with a Hastings Turkey choke, and we shoot 2 3/4" number 6 shot through it. Never needed special Turkey loads.

Have fun,
--Bill

My eldest and wife bought a little mid TN farm a few months ago....eat up with deer which she has named and Turkey. She has agreed that GrandPa can take my just turned 8 year old grandson turkl burd huntin! That was before she knew I had a pop up blind! He will hunt with a .410......I will back him up with my BPS 12ga.....don't want no wounded turkls running around!
At NWTF Banquet, won on Sponser draw....3rd pick...two nice more expensive guns but I picked a New England Firearms 20 ga for my Grandson.....doesn't quite fit him yet so we will stcik with .410 as I did til I was 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back