Spending Money on Good Boots

Has anyone ever had a pair of goretex lined boots that actually were waterproof? I've had probably 2 dozen, still hoping.

Yes, the Meindl Perfekt boots I talked about are Goretex. They never leaked on me and still don't. I do treat the leather every 3 mo and i'm sure that helps.

1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Fit

Used boots have taken on the shape of owner's foot, which has low probability of being the same as your foot. If you find a brand that fits well, that brand will likely continue to fit because the last (mold) they build their boots around closely resembles your foot. Every manufacturer uses their own unique last.

If you use custom footbeds, and you probably should, test boot fit w footbeds in place.

I agree that full leather boots w goretex liners are the most waterproof solution, mostly because you can waterproof the leather. The fewer seams the better, in leather boots. A waterproof membrane liner is a fabric sock. Every step you take, every move you make, that fabric is flexing under the pressure of your weight, pack and gear included. That goretex wears out where it flexes, especially ball of foot to toe box, and leaks. I have mesh boots that started out waterproof, I wear those in dry conditions. If I don't need waterproof, I wear the no-longer-waterproof ones, which still have good tread and support. My full leather goretex boots only come out when it is wet, because the more miles on them, the sooner they will leak.

Boots are probably the most subjective piece of gear by far. The reality is that you won’t know how a boot truly performs for you until you have some mileage on them over rugged terrain. It could be an expensive boot or one less so, but I wouldn’t use expensive as the guiding principle to what you should buy, you may end up sorely disappointed, literally.

Elkduds...........I believe one of the reasons the Meindl Perfekt is so comfortable is the cork bed. It conforms to your foot and stays that way. When it gets worn out you can buy replacements.

These Danner East Ridges are still water proof even after the seams popped. I sewed them up with Spectra fishing like and wore through the threads again. Looking just like they do know I walked about 5mi down a river in December stepping in water up to my ankles repeatedly and never got my feet wet. That river is what popped the seems in the first place. The bed is all crushed granite that’s sharp and wet and it abraded all the stitching. They were a gift from my wife or I’d have chosen something all leather. I always get cactus needles through the nylon panels.

I’m not saying that only Danners are good or even that some other brands may not be better. I’m saying that the Chinese made Danners don’t hold a candle to the US made Danners. The US made Danners served my dad well before they even had lines made in China, and the US made Danners have served me well.
The next time you sew something like that up try waxed Dental floss. I've used it for many high strength repairs and never had one break. When you combine Loctite shoe glue with the dental floss it gets even more bulletproof.

I found a picture of them.
You must have found the white whale of Meindls, or you hunt in predominately dry terrain... I've had 6 pair of Meindls, 3 different version, all of them leak, one leaked the first day of a 10 day sheep hunt... it was wet as F the entire trip, we got over 3 inches of rain in a week... I wore a trash bag on my foot half the time. I treat my boots before I leave for a trip, every time... have tried god knows how many different types of waterproofer, none will last more than a day of hiking before its worn off. The silicon tends to last a little longer, but it still fails.

You must have found the white whale of Meindls, or you hunt in predominately dry terrain... I've had 6 pair of Meindls, 3 different version, all of them leak, one leaked the first day of a 10 day sheep hunt... it was wet as F the entire trip, we got over 3 inches of rain in a week... I wore a trash bag on my foot half the time. I treat my boots before I leave for a trip, every time... have tried god knows how many different types of waterproofer, none will last more than a day of hiking before its worn off. The silicon tends to last a little longer, but it still fails.

What model did you buy?

What model did you buy?
Perfect, Denali, Alaska Hunter. They're comfortable and last couple years until the tread is gone, but none were waterproof for very long. I currently am using Asolo, they are still waterproof, but only have a few fall hunts on them. I doubt they'll make it through shed season dry. I've had a bunch of other boots, including Lowa, danner, solomon and others. Waterproof is more of a suggestion with goretex, same goes with rain gear.

Glad you have had good luck with yours, I wear out a pair in a couple years, being continually wet is hard on the leather even with proper maintenance.

Has anyone ever had a pair of goretex lined boots that actually were waterproof? I've had probably 2 dozen, still hoping.
For how long? I've had several that were completely waterproof for a few years. My Scarpa Charmoz are like 5 years old and one is still water proof, the other is still highly water resistant.

We only live in a disposable society when we choose to buy disposable things.
I’ve found very few things are have actually been cheaper to buy the cheap item over and over than the well made item once.
I’m not one of those people of means. Maybe one day.

1. Sometimes it's very difficult to figure out what is durable and what isn't
2. Often it's not the product itself but the person... you hear people complain about how crappy the vacuum they bought was, but then you ask them if they've cleaned it and they look at you like a squirrel is crawling out of your pocket
3. Most people I know buy new things way before the old one wore out simply because they want the new model... hence why ebay exists.

Bottomline a cheap boot is often build in such a way to prohibit maintenance, you can't resole them or they have tons of mesh venting that you can't condition or repair, etc etc. It's not that they are poor quality they just aren't built to maintain. That being said there are definitely companies that use crappy thread or glue and their products just fall apart.

1. Sometimes it's very difficult to figure out what is durable and what isn't
2. Often it's not the product itself but the person... you hear people complain about how crappy the vacuum they bought was, but then you ask them if they've cleaned it and they look at you like a squirrel is crawling out of your pocket
3. Most people I know buy new things way before the old one wore out simply because they want the new model... hence why ebay exists.

Bottomline a cheap boot is often build in such a way to prohibit maintenance, you can't resole them or they have tons of mesh venting that you can't condition or repair, etc etc. It's not that they are poor quality they just aren't built to maintain. That being said there are definitely companies that use crappy thread or glue and their products just fall apart.
I had the molded sole on one pair of Meindls separate a little from the leather. I wrote them an e-mail asking what to do about it and never got an answer. I finally glued it myself. They packed one pair so the uppers were squashed flat, my leg and ankle are round, those suckers really rubbed. I e-mailed Meindl asking what to do about it and never got an answer. I finally rolled a tube (almost solid) out of newspaper and laced my boots up around it and applied some heat and Mink oil and let it sit for a day, they were then round and didn't rub anymore. It seems as much as Meindls cost you'd expect to get an answer from customer service. I figured e-mailing customer service to complain about customer service was a waste of time.:) They make good boots but their customer service sucks.

The next time you sew something like that up try waxed Dental floss. I've used it for many high strength repairs and never had one break. When you combine Loctite shoe glue with the dental floss it gets even more bulletproof.

That may be better than Spectra, I don’t know with certainty. Spectra is highly abrasion resistant. Wet granite gravel/sand is extremely abrasive. I’ve probably been in that river bed for a total of 100-150mi while wearing that pair of boots, and I’d say that trip every year is 10%-20% of the total miles that get put on those boots. I don’t know how that compares to other high end boots. I’m just saying that I’ve put them through quite a bit and they’re still waterproof...in spite of looking the opposite. The post was in response someone asking if anyone else had any Gore-Tex lined boots that actually remained waterproof. Yes. I do. Maybe I got lucky. I haven’t taken good care of those boots.

I may give dental floss a try sometime. I’ve had pretty good luck stitching things up with 65lb PowerPro. My guess would be that it is both stronger and more abrasion resistant the original thread on most things. I did that particular repair quite sloppily. A better job may or may not have held longer.

Wet boots, an deal with it, and pack 3x pairs of socks and waterproof the crap out of before I head out. Some days are better than others, but goretex seems to make it about 50-100miles tops. I had one pair fail the first day. Some are worse than others. Just wish there was a magic boot.
I’ve recently decided in the last year that I should just pack an extra pair of socks. Kind of a bummer though. I thought that at least with an all leather boot that I could waterproof it and avoid wet feet.

Wet boots, an deal with it, and pack 3x pairs of socks and waterproof the crap out of before I head out. Some days are better than others, but goretex seems to make it about 50-100miles tops. I had one pair fail the first day. Some are worse than others. Just wish there was a magic boot.

I’m really surprised that Gore-Tex is only lasting you 50-100mi. I may have just gotten extremely lucky, but I can account for over 400mi on my boots, and when you add all the short hunts near home I would not be surprised to have near 1000mi total. I have really neglected them, only oiling them a handful of times since I got them, and yet, still no leaks.

I’m really surprised that Gore-Tex is only lasting you 50-100mi. I may have just gotten extremely lucky, but I can account for over 400mi on my boots, and when you add all the short hunts near home I would not be surprised to have near 1000mi total. I have really neglected them, only oiling them a handful of times since I got them, and yet, still no leaks.

Looks like we both got lucky. I got spoiled and never even think about wet feet. I use Simms G3 waders and get 10 years out of them with no leaks too.

Boots are wet here even if its dry. The ground/vegetation is almost always wet, unless you're in the rocks, your boots are wet all day, every day. Also the dew point is usually near the outside temp, and it takes a long time to dry chit out. Socks can take 2-3 days. I hunted in the west a lot, and there is no comparison. I came to accept the fact that wet boots are just the way it is a long time ago, and that goretex was just a bandaid. One thing I picked up a couple years ago that was a game changer where a pair of rubber overshoes. If I remember to bring them, I will have dry feet at the end of the day, but the traction sucks...

Boots are wet here even if its dry. The ground/vegetation is almost always wet, unless you're in the rocks, your boots are wet all day, every day. Also the dew point is usually near the outside temp, and it takes a long time to dry chit out. Socks can take 2-3 days. I hunted in the west a lot, and there is no comparison. I came to accept the fact that wet boots are just the way it is a long time ago, and that goretex was just a bandaid. One thing I picked up a couple years ago that was a game changer where a pair of rubber overshoes. If I remember to bring them, I will have dry feet at the end of the day, but the traction sucks...

If it’s that humid and wet I wonder how much of the moisture inside your boots is getting there in ways other than leaking. In high humidity your socks are almost saturated before you even sweat in them. If it’s raining or water is dripping from vegetation above your boot height, and you’re not wearing gators or waterproof pants, then a lot of moisture could come in from the top of the boot. Not only that, but in high humidity, once moisture is inside the boot, it won’t evaporate out. I’m not saying you aren’t getting leaks. I just wonder.

Walking the river as long as water doesn’t get above my boot tops my feet are always bone dry, but I’m not having water run down my legs into the tops of my boots.

Back