Spending Money on Good Boots

You're ight. Work Boots are worn daily for long hours. And are built to do so. And very few guys who "live" in their boots are dropping what a pair of high end hunting boots cost.

The high end boot, clothes, truck, etc companies are selling an image as much as a need.

Dudes hunting whitetail in Kansas dont "need" a pair of kenetreks, or lowas.

The OP asked if they were necessary. Not if they are cool.

I'm going to guess you didn't read all the posts. The OP is from Montana and I assume he'll be doing similar hunting to what i'm doing. He wanted to know if the higher dollar boots were an advantage over cheaper boots. I explained I used to go through the cheaper boots every 1-2 years. The Meindl boots I bought are going on 12 years and are still in good shape. So, in the long run I saved a lot of money and had comfortable, waterproof boots instead of the cheap boots. I also said I wear the boots everyday and i'm in the mountains at least 250 days a year. I thought I answered his question and it has nothing to do with looking cool. I doubt anybody knows what I paid for the boots by just looking at them. Plus, I like being alone, so few see me anyway.

So, are they necessary? I think so.

I'm going to guess you didn't read all the posts. The OP is from Montana and I assume he'll be doing similar hunting to what i'm doing. He wanted to know if the higher dollar boots were an advantage over cheaper boots. I explained I used to go through the cheaper boots every 1-2 years. The Meindl boots I bought are going on 12 years and are still in good shape. So, in the long run I saved a lot of money and had comfortable, waterproof boots instead of the cheap boots. I also said I wear the boots everyday and i'm in the mountains at least 250 days a year. I thought I answered his question and it has nothing to do with looking cool. I doubt anybody knows what I paid for the boots by just looking at them. Plus, I like being alone, so few see me anyway.

So, are they necessary? I think so.

I actually wore meindls before my foot relaxed and went to a 14.

Apparently there is a nerve hit by saying no, you don't need high end.

Apparently there is a nerve hit by some people viewing higher end boots as a good value/functional purchase.

My apologies. I thought you were stating you would not buy $400 boots to wear for drywall, and since the conversation was revolving around hunting boots I wrongly assumed you were referencing the same.

Without knowing how the OP intends to hunt, it's rather presumptions of you to state he doesn't need them. Or anyone else other than "guides or FIN".

Opinions are subjective. My Zamberlans are perfectly comfortable to hunt all day in, flat or steep terrain. I don't know why you're so fixated on $400. If you shop sales, you'll never pay that. Even if you do, when you amortize the boots out over their life it likely isn't any more than buying cheaper boots. I'll get three years out of my Zamberlans, minimum, and maybe more. That's spending 60-75 days per year hunting in county that is as hard on boots as it gets.

I also wear Zamberlans for work. They're also on my feet for 10 hours a day.

Not sure what camo has to do with boots.

You seem intent on hyperbole. Carry on.

I was trying to walk softly. I know who sponsors Fin.

Barriers to entry.

I didn't know a life's story. I didn't need to.

There are guys who don't live in mtn states. Guys who never see snow. Guys who have never been at elevation. Guys who have never hunted elk.

I assume if someone is asking a question, they don't know the answer.

As for hyperbole.

$400 kenetrek/schemes/crispi
$200 pants(FL, Sitka, KUIU.
$150 shirt
$100 underlayment
$250 jacket
$300 coat
$300 in rain gear
$500 pack
$150 bino harness

$2000 was low.

Its not hyperbole. And it can be a barrier to entry if guys don't know that while nice, and comfy, it's not a "need".

I feel like I've now wasted oxygen pointing out the obvious.

And I own 2 pairs of Crispis.

Neither are worth what they charge for them.

Both are worth the $99 I paid because of some issue on the size 14 soles.

I want to thank Kenetrek for sponsoring Randy. They are a great company and promote public lands.

Obviously you do need high end.

Attachments

• 06544f981b3ae6da7af1e1941b084066.jpg
    06544f981b3ae6da7af1e1941b084066.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 10
Obviously you do need high end.
The OP never asked if he NEEDED high end.

The addition of clothing is a red herring.

Carry on with your rant.

Of course, you are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was inspired to ask this question while reading the "Getting Started Hunting Fishing $$$" thread, but didn't want to hijack that conversation so I am starting a new thread.

There were a few in the other thread that said that would go used/cheap/borrowed on many items, but would not skimp on spending money on good boots. My question is what you look for in a good boot. I am so confused by the high dollar brands that I am paralyzed from spending the money on a pair. I have looked at some Kenetreks that are so stiff I can't imagine wearing them. Is that what you are going with and, if so, are they actually comfortable? Other boots look just like pairs that are $200 to $300 cheaper and I wonder just what I am getting that is worth all that extra money. Can you all help me out. What am I looking for? What am I missing out on with my cheap boots?

Perhaps re read the post.

I was inspired to ask this question while reading the "Getting Started Hunting Fishing $$$" thread, but didn't want to hijack that conversation so I am starting a new thread.

There were a few in the other thread that said that would go used/cheap/borrowed on many items, but would not skimp on spending money on good boots. My question is what you look for in a good boot. I am so confused by the high dollar brands that I am paralyzed from spending the money on a pair. I have looked at some Kenetreks that are so stiff I can't imagine wearing them. Is that what you are going with and, if so, are they actually comfortable? Other boots look just like pairs that are $200 to $300 cheaper and I wonder just what I am getting that is worth all that extra money. Can you all help me out. What am I looking for? What am I missing out on with my cheap boots?

Perhaps re read the post.
And no where in there does he use the word "NEED"

You are correct, this is a waste of oxygen.

Carry on.

And no where in there does he use the word "NEED"

You are correct, this is a waste of oxygen.

Carry on.

"Getting started hunting...."

"What am i missing....."

"Paralyzed".

Can't imagine where I got confused by someone in a "getting started" post, who is looking at expensive boots and wondering WTF.

You are correct. I said NEED.

And I stand by it.

If you are getting started in hunting, it's pretty safe assumption your NOT backpacking into the Brooks Range to hunt sheep.

Its a pretty safe assumption that a guy just getting started looking at what high end gear cost is wondering why.

His use of the word "Paralyzed" pretty much proves that.

If you are just "starting out", a pair of high end boots isn't necessary.

Im betting you didn't start in Zamberlins. I didnt start in Crispis.

In fact I hunted elk 20 years before I even owned "hunting boots"

All of us got by, until we figured it out.

And that's what he was asking and what I answered.

I actually wore meindls before my foot relaxed and went to a 14.

No, no nerve was hit. I just didn't want what I said twisted around. Do you need good boots? No, you can go barefoot if you're tough enough. I tried mocs for awhile to be in the spirit of the fur trade era. I like the Meindl's better. My size is 13 and I have a hard time finding boots that fit. I can imagine you at size 14 is way harder.

Im betting you didn't start in Zamberlins
I started in Danners until I realized they sucked and my feet were much happier in better boots. My out of pocket expenses with good boots are no higher than with shitty ones.

If you buy high end boots and they don't last you any longer than cheap boots. Then it doesn't make much sense to buy good boots.

That's not the case for me.

I started in Danners until I realized they sucked and my feet were much happier in better boots. My out of pocket expenses with good boots are no higher than with shitty ones.

So you didn't start in Zamberlins?

I started Nike basketball shoes.

You should not think about how many you are going to spend to buy good boots. You should better research first some brands and their boots and decide which one is better for you. Also, you should keep in mind where you are going to hunt. You must take into consideration weather conditions, type of landscape, time of year and other things. Read some reviews of the best boots for hunting. You can check link about the best elk hunting boots for example. As for me, I have two pairs: Irish Setter Men’s 880 for warm weather and Irish Setter Men’s 860 Elk Tracker with high insulation for cold days. Both pairs are waterproof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back