Caribou Gear Tarp

Spending Money on Good Boots

But there are some necessary features, comfortable, sturdy, long-lasting, waterproof or resistant, good protection. And some nice features, warm in the winter, good gripping soles, good ankle support.
Absolutely. Good boots are worth paying for. No better investment for a hunter, IMO. What I was trying to say is what makes a good boot depends on how they are to be used. Fit, of course, is key too.

I really think all the Danner hate comes from their Chinese models. There are no good Danners in Cabela’s or Bass Pro. I would like to know how many people are actually disappointed in the performance of Danners that were made in USA. Those Chinese Pronghorns suck.

I was inspired to ask this question while reading the "Getting Started Hunting Fishing $$$" thread, but didn't want to hijack that conversation so I am starting a new thread.

There were a few in the other thread that said that would go used/cheap/borrowed on many items, but would not skimp on spending money on good boots. My question is what you look for in a good boot. I am so confused by the high dollar brands that I am paralyzed from spending the money on a pair. I have looked at some Kenetreks that are so stiff I can't imagine wearing them. Is that what you are going with and, if so, are they actually comfortable? Other boots look just like pairs that are $200 to $300 cheaper and I wonder just what I am getting that is worth all that extra money. Can you all help me out. What am I looking for? What am I missing out on with my cheap boots?

Thanks.
FamilyMan
I’ve recently decided that if I buy a high dollar boot it has to be all leather. Goretex wears out after about a year depending on how much you hike, in which case you can then waterproof the leather if you haven’t already Synthetic boots can be made water resistant but not waterproof. Also I’ve found that some companies (crispi) honor the warranty with a knockoff replacement. Which would make no difference to me except that the replacements I received did not fit the same and caused much blistering. I sold them.
Cheaper hiking boots only last about 100-200 miles max for me. So paying more for a boot that will last me several years is worth it. I put 200 miles on in less than a month in April alone.

I've got some Lowa Tibet's that will be for sale shortly.. make you a good deal.

Good advice so far. I waited and got a screaming deal on Zamberlans that I really like. Even at half price they were more than I've ever spent on boots, but worth it. First year with them and it's been a long time since I've avoided a rolled ankle, blisters and wet socks. That alone was worth the money. There's some things you can get away with on the cheap, I don't think boots are on that list.

Has anyone ever had a pair of goretex lined boots that actually were waterproof? I've had probably 2 dozen, still hoping.
Lol none that were even what I would call “water resistant”... meanwhile, I did butcher an elk in a creek and my socks were dry when I was done.... gotta love eVent.

I think it really depends on your hunting style. I would venture to guess than most people who wear Kentreks et al, don't really "need" them. Its not like antelope hunting, or even deer/elk hunting requires a mountaineering boot for the vast majority of the terrain encountered. YMMV

That said a good pair of boots that fit well and allow you to hike for days on end is worth a lot of weight on a hunt. There are tons of options out there in the $200-300 range. I would stay away from boots with multiple stitching panels, as its just another place for failure. Lowa and Asolo makes some great mid priced boots, watch for sales...

+1

I like my Crispi Guide GTX’s, but honestly they’re too stiff, too heavy and generally overkill for most western hunts.

You simply do not need 3 pound one piece rubber rand, genuine leather boots to walk around the lodgepole pines and sage brush when it’s 78 degrees in Mid Sept.

Posts online will have you convinced your not a hunter if you don’t have schnees, kenetrek, crispis or Lowas. Don’t buy the hype.

A lotta guys like the Salomons. Shoot I even had 2 pairs of Under Armours that lasted me 5 years. Lifetime warranty, lightweight, $150 and comfortable as hell with no break in.

Has anyone ever had a pair of goretex lined boots that actually were waterproof? I've had probably 2 dozen, still hoping.
Temporarily! I had a pair of crispi dakotas that were waterproof for the first 100 miles or so. Gore-Tex is definitely over rated. May as well save the weight and get all leather, waterproof it yourself. What do you wear up in Alaska?

What do you wear up in Alaska?

Wet boots, an deal with it, and pack 3x pairs of socks and waterproof the crap out of before I head out. Some days are better than others, but goretex seems to make it about 50-100miles tops. I had one pair fail the first day. Some are worse than others. Just wish there was a magic boot.

I really think all the Danner hate comes from their Chinese models. There are no good Danners in Cabela’s or Bass Pro. I would like to know how many people are actually disappointed in the performance of Danners that were made in USA. Those Chinese Pronghorns suck.
I hate their US models too.

It all depends on how you’ll use them and what your specific needs are. The best boot in the world isn’t worth squat if it doesn’t fit right, so take definitive brand recommendations with a grain of salt.

I was talking to @EYJONAS! about boots the other day, and it dawned on me how much more fun it is to try a bunch of high end optics than high end footwear. Alpha glass barely loses value and at worst is almost perfect instead of perfect. Boots lose about 80% of their value when you walk outside and at can ruin multiple days at a time. It’s the worst kind of retail guess-and-check until you figure out what works.

The trick with Gortex is to buy full leather boots and use a quality wax or silicon impregnation product. The Gortex then just becomes a safety net, it's called redundancy. I like regular old Kiwi wax with Mink oil. Don't forget to wax the tongues. A think coating of whatever your fond of and a hairdryer will help to get the wax, silicon or whatever deeper into the leather. I've never had a pair of boots that I've used Kiwi Mink Oil wax on that cracked or split. Trying to find the best dressing can be as hard as finding the best boots. :) I've also never found anything better than wool socks, I've tried almost every wiz-bang sock type available at one time or another. Wool gets moist from sweat or whatever and doesn't lose much of its insulation properties. I buy my boots big enough to wear two pairs of wool socks in the winter. Some Gortex boot manufacturers recommend against using silicon!!!!

Last edited:
It all depends on how you’ll use them and what your specific needs are. The best boot in the world isn’t worth squat if it doesn’t fit right, so take definitive brand recommendations with a grain of salt.
That is what I really like about Meindl boots, the inner layer adapts and molds to your foot. You notice they lace a little tighter after a while, that is the give in the lining and a little from the give in the leather. After a year or so I can feel the inside of my Meindl boots and feel almost every bump, high and low spot on my foot.

Funny reading this. As I understand it, product's made in any country are required to be made to the maker's standard! Yet China doesn't have to? I'm not so sure of that unless the maker lowered the standard for their product made in China. As it is with a lot in the outdoor world, what is good and what you can afford are often two different things! My son got his girlfriend a pair of Danners for Valentine Day. I got my girl friend a box of chocolate! Most people suggesting equipment n these forums seem to be people of means. It seem's to me that the value for most of these people is directly related to cost. My boot's didn't cost anywhere near what a new pair of Danner run but, they don't hurt my feet and I get several years hunting out of them. Of course I get that much wear only if I save them just for hunting! Wear them like everyday foot wear and they wear out quicker. Worst wearing pair of boot's I ever had were Red Wings. Comfortable but didn't last worth squat. I think good boot's have replaceable sole's on them, or used to. Last time I checked on new sole's they were more than I'd paid for the boot's new. We live in a very disposable society!

I’ve had good luck with my 400g Danner Alsea. I’ve run them for a few hunting seasons and have been happy with the comfort, warmth, and they’re decently waterproof. That being said, I hunt much smaller eastern mountains, but I certainly don’t baby them. As I’ve gotten more serious in the last year I have been keeping an eye out for boot deals to jump on.

I’m leaning toward picking up some Schnees timberlines for an uninsulated option, as I don’t like a very stiff boot

Funny reading this. As I understand it, product's made in any country are required to be made to the maker's standard! Yet China doesn't have to? I'm not so sure of that unless the maker lowered the standard for their product made in China. As it is with a lot in the outdoor world, what is good and what you can afford are often two different things! My son got his girlfriend a pair of Danners for Valentine Day. I got my girl friend a box of chocolate! Most people suggesting equipment n these forums seem to be people of means. It seem's to me that the value for most of these people is directly related to cost. My boot's didn't cost anywhere near what a new pair of Danner run but, they don't hurt my feet and I get several years hunting out of them. Of course I get that much wear only if I save them just for hunting! Wear them like everyday foot wear and they wear out quicker. Worst wearing pair of boot's I ever had were Red Wings. Comfortable but didn't last worth squat. I think good boot's have replaceable sole's on them, or used to. Last time I checked on new sole's they were more than I'd paid for the boot's new. We live in a very disposable society!

The boots that Danner has made in China are meant to be a lower price point boot, and they are made to a lower standard. They suck. If you think a Chinese Vortex is equal to a Japanese Vortex you’re equally wrong.

Almost every time a someone here complains about Danner and actually says what boot they don’t like, it’s a Pronghorn.

We only live in a disposable society when we choose to buy disposable things.

I’ve found very few things are have actually been cheaper to buy the cheap item over and over than the well made item once.

I’m not one of those people of means. Maybe one day.

Last edited:
Agree with @SnowyMountaineer and @JLS tremendously. Question to anyone out there has anyone looked into the custom orthopedics for boots? Not full blown boots but some companies offer some custom foot beds or even some sleeves that form around your ankle and feet?

Boots are the single most important piece, if your feet ain't right your not right...... Not one boot works the same for one person as it does the other. I've been a Kenetrek guy a long time and was fairly disappointed in my last pair that barely made it through 2 seasons. I had a different pair for 9......
Asked them about it and there response was well you must of turn the intensity up. So I said well I'm buying something else and have been breaking in Zamberlan Baltoro Boots. So far pretty impressed as much as I can be with stiff pricks on my feet.

These Danner East Ridges are still water proof even after the seams popped. I sewed them up with Spectra fishing like and wore through the threads again. Looking just like they do know I walked about 5mi down a river in December stepping in water up to my ankles repeatedly and never got my feet wet. That river is what popped the seems in the first place. The bed is all crushed granite that’s sharp and wet and it abraded all the stitching. They were a gift from my wife or I’d have chosen something all leather. I always get cactus needles through the nylon panels.

I’m not saying that only Danners are good or even that some other brands may not be better. I’m saying that the Chinese made Danners don’t hold a candle to the US made Danners. The US made Danners served my dad well before they even had lines made in China, and the US made Danners have served me well.

Attachments

• 9097C8F3-4BD1-4FE0-9021-F625ACDC666F.jpeg
    9097C8F3-4BD1-4FE0-9021-F625ACDC666F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 2B7C6345-8612-46A1-8807-F6483E0F2CC7.jpeg
    2B7C6345-8612-46A1-8807-F6483E0F2CC7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 13C6E6F3-DC8F-4188-B8E0-547B65DE3878.jpeg
    13C6E6F3-DC8F-4188-B8E0-547B65DE3878.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars