PEAX Equipment

South Nevada - Northern Arizona Hunting?

genesis273

It appears that I will be traveling to Las Vegas on an annual basis for work, which will be in early September. I only need to be there for 3 days, but can stay longer at my expense. My question is, are there any reasonable opportunities to do any hunting within 4-5 hours drive for non-residents (Arizona or Nevada)? I know that some states take years to draw, so I would start now working on preference points if I need to. However, if the odds are ridiculous, I'm not going to worry about it. With the time of year that I go, I'm assuming antelope would be my best bet. Again, if it requires years to obtain a permit, let me know.

An AZ antelope tag will be very hard to come by. Do you archery hunt? Early archery deer is OTC statewide-- with the exception of the Strip and the Kaibab. The season is the last week in august and the first two weeks of september. Also, lion season is open year round...

An AZ antelope tag will be very hard to come by. Do you archery hunt? Early archery deer is OTC statewide-- with the exception of the Strip and the Kaibab. The season is the last week in august and the first two weeks of september. Also, lion season is open year round...

Biscuit Hunter, Thanks for the information! I do archery hunt...alot! I'm definitely going to look into OTC archery deer. It'll be much different than what I'm use to, but that makes it much more interesting!

Genesis,

I'm sure you'd have a great time chasing velvet mulies. September is a beautiful time of the year in northern AZ. There is plenty of great public land hunting in the 4-5 hour drive that you mentioned. Spend some time on azgfd.gov. Look at the "Where to Hunt" section. It's a good place to start for unit specific info.

Also, read up on the draw system. If you're coming out every year, it might be worth your while to build points for antelope, and whatever else you might want to hunt. The license is the really expensive part of the point game, and you'll need that anyway to hunt on an OTC deer tag.

Good luck and good reading. Feel free to ask questions as they come up.

Last edited:
In NV, you can draw an archery deer tag every year or buy a leftover after the draw and you can draw a rifle pronghorn tag in about 5 years and less for archery. Plenty of opportunities in either state.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back