Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sleep Systems- tent, bag, liners, pads?

As much as I want to drop a few Benjamin’s on a Hilleberg tent, that’s a lot of other equipment I could get being dropped on a tent. Are they worth it? Any other advice for alternatives that don’t break the bank?

I've used standard backpacking gear versus the name brand hunting gear very effectively. Of note, a Mountainsmith Morrison II tent I own held up through several Arctic blizzards with 30+ MPH sustained winds on the North Slope of the Brooks range recently. For this year, I picked up a Nemo Hornet 1P. Less than two pounds, and super solid looking tent so far. We'll see in August how she really does.

I’m officially Clydesdale sized, 6’3” 240ish. I have an older Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 that I love for size and comfort and hate when it gets cold. I’m looking hard at the BA Blackburn UL for a much warmer 800 fill 0 degree bag, my friend has one and loves it. That is unless I just decide to go all in on a Western Mountaineering Kodiak, that seems like the premier big dude option.
I'll check these out MT! Thanks!

.......................... I picked up a Nemo Hornet 1P. Less than two pounds, and super solid looking tent so far. We'll see in August how she really does.
Just heads up, there's a batch of Nemo Hornet that had leaks/permeating/water/condensation issue by the head.
I soon as I read that I waited for heavy rainstorm and left my tent out to get exposed to heavy rains and win in our backyard, and sure enough mine leaked.
NEMO CS replaced it with a complete new system after showing the video.
Tested the new tent for 2-3 days with constant heavy rain and wind, no leaks this time
Rain inside
Replacement

Just heads up, there's a batch of Nemo Hornet that had leaks/permeating/water/condensation issue by the head.
I soon as I read that I waited for heavy rainstorm and left my tent out to get exposed to heavy rains and win in our backyard, and sure enough mine leaked.
NEMO CS replaced it with a complete new system after showing the video.
Tested the new tent for 2-3 days with constant heavy rain and wind, no leaks this time
Rain inside
Replacement

Dang dude! Great SA on this. Been planning to test its waterproof integrity, but that just got bumped up on the to-do list. Thanks a ton!

Dang dude! Great SA on this. Been planning to test its waterproof integrity, but that just got bumped up on the to-do list. Thanks a ton!
I don't get the "SA" means:unsure:.... don't bother with spraying with garden hose technique..water bill will just go up:ROFLMAO:....that's not quality control style of testing. Get it as close as how Mother Nature does it.

for my hunting camp set up I have a sleeping bag that I have no idea what it is haha. Not the warmest but I crawl into it with my thin puffy on and its warm enough when it gets really cold out. Sleeping bad I got from my mother in law for christmas and it Works? Ill usually lay out a rug and a blow up mattress if im camping out of the truck. I have a rustic ridge two person tent that I really like. Have not had issues with condensation and it does well in wind. I like the idea of tarps cause of weight but I have a thing about creepy crawlies crawling up my poop shoot so Ill stick with something heavier for the extra security haha. I try to keep it simple. All that extra stuff is money down the toilet and more stuff to lose and then spend more money replacing. But I am upgrading one piece at a time to higher end american made stuff that will last a lifetime. I have this el cheapo coleman stove that ive had since 2010, been wanting a better one but the stupid thing wont die. I try not to bring a bunch of food that requires a stove but every so often its nice to have a hot meal on those cold nights. Plus i let me buddys carry all the tea's and coffees they "Need". I have learned the last few years to have a water filtration system of some sort cause its so easy to run out of water regardless of how big your water blater is or how much you bring in prior. Put myself in a bit of a pickle a few times cause of that.

Im thinking of investing in a high end sleeping bag soon since my bag is on its last legs. But I really need boots first, which is a freaking mortgage payment if i wanna get both now

I don't get the "SA" means:unsure:.... don't bother with spraying with garden hose technique..water bill will just go up:ROFLMAO:....that's not quality control style of testing. Get it as close as how Mother Nature does it.

Situational awareness. Got it pitched in a rainstorm and added some supplemental "lateral rain" from the hose. Did quite well, except that the footprint wanted to stick out beyond the edge of the tent body and channel water under it initially. Easy fix. She'll be getting a real deal op test in Alaska here pretty soon. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back