Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sidearm gunlight

WIbiggame

Wondering everyone's thought on this. Currently have a M&P 10mm with a TLR-1 HL light on it. Trying to decide if I want to get the Razco holster that will accommodate the light or not?

Pros:
- light is attached to gun so will always have it when needed
- use a light for work
- can shoot with or without light equally well

Cons:
- Weight
- if I decide I dont want the light on hollester wont secure gun

Plan on getting the pack mounted holster so will be able put it on my belt if I ever carry it open when not hunting. Have a different EDC

I’d say the pros of having the light outweigh the con of the actual weight of the TLR, they aren’t that heavy. If you’re adding the considerable weight of the pistol already the light makes it that much sense.

From my experience the biggest pros to a weapon light on a pistol are:
  • You have a free hand for shooting support or whatever that other hand needs to do, generally increased accuracy compared to holding a flashlight.
  • Always have a light, yes.
  • Great for clearing dark areas, LEO type work when you know danger is highly likely.
Cons I found:
  • Many situations in the dark you are already holding a flashlight before need to unholster pistol. If things happen fast, that light on pistol is not going on. (but transition is easy if not immediate threat)
  • Some set ups with mounted lights can have increased malfunctions.
  • It becomes easy to point your weapon at someone or something you don't want to because you're using the light.
  • A little heavier and bulkier holster requirements
The deciding factor is where and for what purpose are you carrying?
If this is strictly for hunting/bear gun I personally would not put on a light unless you move around a lot in pitch dark nights.

Last edited:
I carry a 509 tactical with a tlr 8 and an trijicon rmr when I’m doing security at church and in the bedside table. It is great for those situations. I’m a big fan of the light with the laser included.

Love the TLR-1 as well.

I had to do a recovery in bear country in the dark and borrowed my buddy’s 44mag. I hated having to focus on shining a flashlight and gun in the same direction at the same time versus it being one unit. Also hated how my headlamp washed out the sights.

I’d give up firepower to have a weapon mounted light if I’m in that scenario again

I have the same light on my 10mm G40 that will go to AK with me. If things get sporty, there's no such thing as too much light. My daily has a light too.

I would echo the comment above about not using your weapon light for lighting anything other than things you intend to shoot.

Haven Defense makes excellent holsters for anything a person wants to carry, I have several of theirs and love them all.

Although I believe they can be used effectively, especially in a team environment, I am not a fan of strobes due to their propensity mask movement.

Keep it on there. No such thing as too many or too much light. If you've already got the holster set up just keep it on there.

I have a TLR-1 HL on my work gun, they're bright as hell and have excellent battery life. The added weight near the muzzle actually reduces recoil and muzzle flip improving accuracy on follow up shots. The light can be easily removed and used as an emergency flashlight if needed. You're already carrying a large frame 10mm, a few more ounces will hardly be noticeable.

Last edited:
I thought about it, but decided against it. I'd be able to see well enough to shoot. Besides if I'm woken up at 3am by a bear, I'm probably not going to remember to turn the light on. I'd be more focused on either scaring it away, or doing my best to turn it into swiss cheese.

I carry a 509 tactical with a tlr 8 and an trijicon rmr when I’m doing security at church ........ It is great for those situations.
Wait....

Does your church worship firearms?

Or

Is the congregation that dangerous?

Please send application post haste.

Haha, just a precaution. Haven’t ever needed to use it and hope I never have to. Better to be prepared and not need it.
Nope, I get it.

Is there a new member registration gift? 50 rounds of 9mm, 20 free hair ties for creedmoor shooters?

Kidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back