Boykin spaniel pros and cons

brockel

I think the wife and I have finally decided on getting another dog. We want a smaller dog because it will go in the vehicle with us and the kids. Currently have a mini Australian Shepard that goes everywhere with us so it will need to get along with other dogs. The dog will be used for upland and waterfowl hunting but mostly a family dog. We were originally leaning towards a cocker spaniel just for the size but once you throw waterfowl in the cocker isn’t as suited as the Boykin. So let’s hear the pros and cons of the Boykin or should I be looking a different area for a small family/upland/waterfowl dog.

We've had 2 Springers and almost went with a full blooded Boykin until we found a half breed close to us. Ours is half Boykin, quarter lab, and quarter curr. It has been a great dog and if we had to choose just one of our dogs that would be the one. We haven't hunted waterfowl with it but ND upland game, rabbits, and it tracked deer... No complaints. It does it's job and doesn't get overly excited. It hangs around the house without a mess... If there were any complaints, it dogs a little more than the Springer and doesn't do as well in the cold as the Springer. Ours has shorter hair more like a lab, unlike most Boykins.

We've had 2 Springers and almost went with a full blooded Boykin until we found a half breed close to us. Ours is half Boykin, quarter lab, and quarter curr. It has been a great dog and if we had to choose just one of our dogs that would be the one. We haven't hunted waterfowl with it but ND upland game, rabbits, and it tracked deer... No complaints. It does it's job and doesn't get overly excited. It hangs around the house without a mess... If there were any complaints, it dogs a little more than the Springer and doesn't do as well in the cold as the Springer. Ours has shorter hair more like a lab, unlike most Boykins.

This is the half Boykin Christmas day.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705690280352.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705690280352.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 47
We always had American Water Spaniels growing up- not a Boykin but from what I understand they are very very similar (in looks and temperament).

They are fantastic dogs, I can’t say one bad word about them. Great hunters and great pets- like most spaniels, they are full of spirit and very intelligent.

One difference that may matter if you’re northern guy and/or hunt waterfowl- the AWS typically run a bit bigger and have a bit thicker coat. Other than that they are hard to tell apart.

Last edited:
We always had American Water Spaniels growing up- not a Boykin but from what I understand they are very very similar (in looks and temperament).

They are fantastic dogs, I can’t say one bad word about them. Great hunters and great pets- like most spaniels, they are full of spirit and very intelligent.
I believe the american water spaniel is more tolerant to cold and the boykin is more tolerant of heat. That is one difference. Very similar! I second spaniels. Even though I own brittanys and they are not officially spaniels any more, they are still close enough to me. Great pets and great hunters.

Boykins are our state dog...the breed was developed not too far from me. Hunted with them a bunch for quail and ducks. They dont like the cold, will need a vest if its below freezing, never worked them below zero as it never gets the cold here, heat doesnt bother them at all, great family dog!

One of my best buddies got one a little over a year ago. It is really an awesome dog. Super birdie. I was lucky enough to shoot her first pheasant over her. Unfortunately, I only winged it and she had to chase it down for a retrieve. She’s was only 8 months old at the time. I was very impressed with her. I also shot her first water retrieve duck. That was pretty special as well.

Only down side is they seem to require a fair bit of grooming. We spend plenty of time combing her out after every hunt or training. She also has to be groomed/trimmed well before hunts to cut down on burrs and hitchhikers.

We are on our 4th set of Boykins. We will never have another breed. We are hooked! The best flushing, swimming, family, happy dog we have found. The above posts of not cold tolerant are false in our experience. In fact the opposite is more true. We have had mostly females, 3 GirlKins and 1 Boykin (male) and honestly I wouldn’t hesitate to have more males than females going forward as the males seem to be more chill. (Slightly) They train easy and all have been voice, hand and collar trained. The best family dog you can find. They do follow their nose pretty seriously, so much that they focus and forget what’s around them and sometimes their commands 🙄 that’s why we always keep a E-collar on them or a leash when out walking or hunting out of the fenced yard. if your looking for a good cause to support and potentially find a great family/hunting dog the Boykin Spaniel Rescue would be a good start. A lot of people get a Boykin but don’t realize how much energy they have until after they have them home for awhile and end up turning them in. The cuteness of a Boykin puppy supersedes some peoples common sense and overshadows the need of the dogs for a good teacher/owner. Boykins/Girlkins have to be taught boundaries and be given a job. I could keep writing but I will stop gushing over these Little Brown dogs!😜😊

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • BC0B6C42-9A36-42CE-BAA0-586FE1764848.jpeg
    BC0B6C42-9A36-42CE-BAA0-586FE1764848.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 985A202A-E07D-4353-A153-D9568D37E74C.jpeg
    985A202A-E07D-4353-A153-D9568D37E74C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
A buddy of mine took an overseas job and asked if we’d take his Boykin while he was gone. Bolt assimilated into our family seamlessly and my kids fell in love with him. For all of the time we had him, there was never one issue with him being aggressive toward my kids or any sort of behavior problem. He loved to hunt and retrieved impeccably. He was absolutely the happiest little dog I had ever seen.

IMG_1781_Original.jpeg
IMG_1772_Original.jpeg
IMG_1748_Original.jpeg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back