Shooting tripod or glassing tripod

williaada

Need some help deciding what to carry in on day trips. I have a primos tripod for shooting off of, and then I have a glassing tripod for binos or spotting scope. Should I carry both tripods or is my light weight shooting sticks and leave the primos back at camp?

I only carry the tripod for the spotter/binos, and have used it a few times to shoot off of. I have a V shaped attachment that came off of a shooting stick that attaches to the tripod.

I only carry the tripod for the spotter/binos, and have used it a few times to shoot off of. I have a V shaped attachment that came off of a shooting stick that attaches to the tripod.
That is what I do to. Though unusually just end up ditching the tripod and shoot off my pack. I’m still new to western hunting and after a day or two give up on glassing far ranges and find animals in cover like I do at home.

That is what I do to. Though unusually just end up ditching the tripod and shoot off my pack. I’m still new to western hunting and after a day or two give up on glassing far ranges and find animals in cover like I do at home.
You can buy the V-shaped attachment separately. I have this one, bought at Scheels.

I like the design because it still swivels even when cranked down tight into the mount.

Attachments

• 1696037480401.png
    1696037480401.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 5
You can buy the V-shaped attachment separately. I have this one, bought at Scheels.

I like the design because it still swivels even when cranked down tight into the mount.
I robbed a piece off of a ATV mount, put it on a quick release camera mount and I thought I was a genius; that was years ago. The one you use is even better! I’m gonna look at buying one.

I robbed a piece off of a ATV mount, put it on a quick release camera mount and I thought I was a genius; that was years ago. The one you use is even better! I’m gonna look at buying one.
Had to buy another quick release mount for it as well so I didn’t have to unscrew the one on my spotter when switching between them.

I guess depending on every situation I’d different, but I carry the bare minimum. I’d say glassing tripod if needed. Every time I’ve shot at an elk there’s not even enough time to think of a tripod, it’s just a scramble to find a rock, tree, pack, etc to get steady on.

I have taken to carrying my old Manfrotto lightweight tripod with a Y yoke on it.
My place is shortgrass prairie with PJ's .
Can't rest on rabbit brush unless you have a pack or jacket to throw down. Gotta keep it up out of the grass to see.
My tripod is set for me sitting, and I can be on it in seconds. Which is what time you have on the short grass at daylight.

I didn’t know where to start with my first tripod so I just picked one.
I’ve heard that ball tripods are troublesome for glassing because the mount flops loose when you open the knob. My experience w/ this model is the knob can be loosened a little bit so that I can move the mount with minor resistance and it doesn’t flop. I find that it works just fine because I glass horizontally. If you are a vertical glasser I would not recommend a ball mount.

I use the tripod for binos w/ an adapter, spotting scope, gun rest w/ camera screw mount, camera, and cellphone w/ adapter. I’ve shot 2 big game animals off it.

At the gun range I practice prone, off my pack, off the tripod, and off my trekking poles.

Now that I have a better idea of using a tripod, I’d like a quick releases. I’d also have 2 tripods: 1 talll model for glassing and shooting while standing, and a smaller ultralight tripod for backpacking.

Here is my revolver set up (bean bag rest)
EFCE5353-A339-4F04-BBCB-6635F11FAB7E.jpeg

Second the SRS rail. I went with a full length arca. My bipod has an arca adapter my tripod has an arca ball head and my bino and spotting scope have arca plates. Everything works together. No need for the primos.

I just went hunting with someone that attaches everything (spotter, binos, rifle) to the same tripod using a pic rail. Pretty slick.
This is what I do, everything mounts to a tripod, binos, spotter, camera deck, cellphone camera adapter, rifle

Either a rail that attaches directly to the spotter tripod. Or what I did - amazon a Y swivel yoke for shooting, attach it to a quick release plate for your spotter tripod. All in one now, cost $30.

I use a Leofoto tripod for glassing, both with bino's and spotters, and also shoot off of it, if the situation is correct. I attached an arca-rail to both of my hunting rifles. I have the Aziak equipment binocular attachment, which allows you to lock your binos into an arca-rail adapter.

I shot a buck in WY recently and that tripod made a very difficult shot much easier. I was on a steep incline and it allowed me to have a rock-solid rest. I've become much more proficient at setting it up to shoot off of, but, that being said, some situations you just don't have time. But it allows you the option if you do have time.

Also, glassing with binos, from a tripod, is the best thing ever, in my opinion.

To answer your question, my personal preference, is to have a single tripod that I can both glass and shoot from.

Back