Wife's first time

peterk1234

My wife Cathy has decided to hunt this year for the first time ever, at the ripe young age of 57. So we took her out this morning to try to find an antelope. The plan was to have my son in law be her guide, since he already tagged out, and I would go off on my own in the same area to try to find a buck.

Up at 3am. Into the truck by 4. Hiking in by 6. About a mile and half in they set up. I keep going. About two hours later they spot two antelope little over a mile away. They decided to make a stalk. They get to a grassy knoll at 500 yards, peek over it and notice the antelope had bedded down. Tried to make a move but the wind shifted as they closed in. They got within 300 yards.

What a great first hunt. She was a trooper. She carried her rifle, binos, tripod, extra clothes, food and water. We hiked almost seven miles total today. She is hooked..... and tired.

20231014_122741.jpg

My wife Cathy has decided to hunt this year for the first time ever, at the ripe young age of 57. So we took her out this morning to try to find an antelope. The plan was to have my son in law be her guide, since he already tagged out, and I would go off on my own in the same area to try to find a buck.

Up at 3am. Into the truck by 4. Hiking in by 6. About a mile and half in they set up. I keep going. About two hours later they spot two antelope little over a mile away. They decided to make a stalk. They get to a grassy knoll at 500 yards, peek over it and notice the antelope had bedded down. Tried to make a move but the wind shifted as they closed in. They got within 300 yards.

What a great first hunt. She was a trooper. She carried her rifle, binos, tripod, extra clothes, food and water. We hiked almost seven miles total today. She is hooked..... and tired.

View attachment 297125
Curious what your wife’s views on hunting were in the past and how they’ve evolved? Mine is fine with the idea, loves to come scout with me, but currently doesn’t have much interest to actually hunt (and absolutely hates waking up at the asscrack of dawn).

Curious what your wife’s views on hunting were in the past and how they’ve evolved? Mine is fine with the idea, loves to come scout with me, but currently doesn’t have much interest to actually hunt (and absolutely hates waking up at the asscrack of dawn).
Always supported it, loves the table fare. Just lacked the confidence. I used to only hunt with a bow. We started shooting rifles together about five years ago, and she really enjoys it. Got her a 6.5cm last year and she really got confident with it. At that point she was like, "I want to go hunting".

View attachment 297125
So are there any follow up posts to this one? Interested if there were more opportunities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back