Shooting out a barrel?

Yep - people are always telling me how the .308 is the best LR prairie dog gun out there with 172 gr bullets. Velocity determines how much time the wind has to work on shoving the bullet to the side. Balliistic coefficient keeps velocity higher and lessens the effect of the wind due to bullet shape, weight, etc. Granted that a heavier bullet at the same velocity with same coefficient is going to drift less, but so is a faster bullet of same weight and coefficient.

Too many people believe that bullet weight and/or spitzer versus RN make all the difference in wind drift. That is just one factor.

Actually, bullet weight has nothing to do with wind drift. The two factors involved are speed and the ballistic cioefficient of the bullet.
I realize that. I also realize that the heavier bullets of the same shape will have a higher BC.

Using Federal's 223 ammo as a comparison, the 77gr Matchking (Blue Line) drifts less at all distances than a 55gr Ballistic Tip (Red Line). Even though the 55gr starts out 500fps faster. It also drops more all the way to 500yds, but drop is easier to compensate/correct for than windage.
windDriftCompareGraph.aspx

I realize this isn't a perfect apples to apples as they aren't the same shape, but does prove what I was referring to.

Yes correct Point thats why I always use heavier, better BC bullets, 140 amaxs in the 6.5x55 are dynamite at up to 550yds as are the 95 grn Targex in the .243 windage is so hard to dope, elevation is easy.

I have bought a couple of boxes of 65 and 70 grn projectiles for the .223 all the 75 gn amax were sold out:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back