Caribou Gear Tarp

Converting 22-250 brass

Yeah, that happens over there. mtmuley
Some guy made a comment about taking a way too long a shot and was proud as hell that he hit the animal even though he never found it. My comment was something like " if you can't make the shot, don't take the shot". I guess they didn't like that on a long range forum.

Some guy made a comment about taking a way too long a shot and was proud as hell that he hit the animal even though he never found it. My comment was something like " if you can't make the shot, don't take the shot". I guess they didn't like that on a long range forum.
I got banned twice. Wolves and E-bikes. Pretty sure a dipshit that goes by FEENIX was the guy. Pretty funny. mtmuley

I just reformed some 6.5CM to 22-250. It was so easy I wonder if I did anything wrong? It fits the Hornady case checker perfectly and chambers and ejects my Ruger #1 like OEM brass.
Check the length. If it’s too long, you’ll crimp the case mouth onto the bullet when you chamber it and pressures will skyrocket.

The dents are called “lube dents”. You need to use less case lube. Some case lubes either dent or cause a stuck case when forming one cartridge to another. I’ve found that Imperial Die Wax has been the best for me. Too much will cause dents. Gotta get just enough.

Almost check a loaded round neck diameter and compare it to a SAAMI specs for minimum chamber neck diameter. If your case necks are too thick after necking down, you’ll have to ream or turn them to be safe.

6.5x47L might be better because it’s shorter and less likely to require trimming, but it may be equally difficult to find.

I get shortened case life due to cracked necks if I neck up or down and do not anneal after. YMMV.

Check the length. If it’s too long, you’ll crimp the case mouth onto the bullet when you chamber it and pressures will skyrocket.
Yep, they end up .040 over max.

The dents are called “lube dents”. You need to use less case lube. Some case lubes either dent or cause a stuck case when forming one cartridge to another. I’ve found that Imperial Die Wax has been the best for me. Too much will cause dents. Gotta get just enough.
I used the Imperial. It worked best. I would dip my fingers every 3-4 cases. If you can feel it, that's enough. No lube on the neck.

Almost check a loaded round neck diameter and compare it to a SAAMI specs for minimum chamber neck diameter. If your case necks are too thick after necking down, you’ll have to ream or turn them to be safe.

6.5x47L might be better because it’s shorter and less likely to require trimming, but it may be equally difficult to find.

I get shortened case life due to cracked necks if I neck up or down and do not anneal after. YMMV.
I've been looking into annealing for everything. So far loosing an occasional case to cracking is cheaper than an annealer.

Yep, they end up .040 over max.

I used the Imperial. It worked best. I would dip my fingers every 3-4 cases. If you can feel it, that's enough. No lube on the neck.

I've been looking into annealing for everything. So far loosing an occasional case to cracking is cheaper than an annealer.
The dents are from too much lube. Try even less if you’re getting dents. It’s crazy how little it takes.

I use a case in a socket with a low speed drill and a basic propane torch. I’ve read that you need MAP gas, but I had a propane torch, and it worked fine. Later I bought a MAP torch and found it too aggressive and difficult to control. I also tried a smaller propane torch with a self starter and it didn’t have the required output. The plain cheap Bernz-o-Matic has worked fine for me.

Necking from 8mm to 6.5mm I was getting 2-4 firings before loosing cases, and that’s not okay for me considering all the work that I put in forming them etc. Annealed I haven’t lost any yet, but I really expect 10+ reloads from good brass. I use mostly Lapua, Norma and RWS, so again, YMMV.

There were those 5-6 cases that were fairly dented at the very start. I haven't used any lube at all on the neck since and have had zero issues since.
I switched from acetylene to propane years ago for cutting torches. I may have some small gas welding tips I might try.

That looks like a headache. There is a pile of 22-250 ammo with hornady, win, rem, etc options barely over $1/round and cheaper for foreign stuff available according to ammoseek. That seems like a way easier path and shooting loaded ammo is more fun that forming stuff that wasn't designed to be 22-250.

I disagree. Forming your own brass then tailoring a load to fit your gun has a great sense of satisfaction. X times better than going to some bass ho and buying overpriced mass produced bullets.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back