.300 RUM Barrel Life

RugerHawg413

Good Morning,
I know a guy that is looking to sell his .300 RUM with an aftermarket Carbon six barrel. He let me know that he has fired about 200 rounds through it. I was wondering with letting the barrel cool in between shots and cleaning the rifle thoroughly, how many rounds do you think that the barrel is good for? I am wondering if it is worth buying or not? Thanks!!

Good Morning,
I know a guy that is looking to sell his .300 RUM with an aftermarket Carbon six barrel. He let me know that he has fired about 200 rounds through it. I was wondering with letting the barrel cool in between shots and cleaning the rifle thoroughly, how many rounds do you think that the barrel is good for? I am wondering if it is worth buying or not? Thanks!!
A lifetime of hunting. mtmuley

Good Morning,

I have a friend that has right at 1200 rounds through his rum. We definitely know the end is near and he’s had to adjust his load but it still keeps shooting good

I have a friend that has right at 1200 rounds through his rum. We definitely know the end is near and he’s had to adjust his load but it still keeps shooting good
I don't reload right now, hopefully in the future. What ammo do you recommend for rum? Thank you!!

My guess is you are only going to find Barnes and hornady on the shelf anywhere. Grab a box of each and see what shoots the best
LOL! Your right, after looking some this morning, that is pretty much all I can find. To be completely honest, I have never used Barnes ammo before, but I am willing and wanting to give it a try. Thanks!

Exactly. There are only a few people I know that have toasted a rum barrel. Expensive to feed and thump on both ends really dials back the practice sessions with the rums
No need to practice with the RUM. Easy to do with a similar rifle that is easier on the wallet. Mine still holds MOA. Had to "chase the lands" a bit. mtmuley

A lifetime of hunting. mtmuley
Yes,

Just like all the hot rods. Everyone is worried about barrel life. If you are get a .22. There are hunting rifles and there are bench rifles. I have had a .28 Nosler for 5 years. it has about 90 rounds through it. Last year it shot exactly 2 rounds. Its a hunting rig.This year my .30 Nosler shot exactly 1 round. Had it for 10 years and it has less than 50 through it.

get what you like and don't worry about it. Besides who wants to shoot 1000 plus rounds through a RUM anyways.

Yes,

Just like all the hot rods. Everyone is worried about barrel life. If you are get a .22. There are hunting rifles and there are bench rifles. I have had a .28 Nosler for 5 years. it has about 90 rounds through it. Last year it shot exactly 2 rounds. Its a hunting rig.This year my .30 Nosler shot exactly 1 round. Had it for 10 years and it has less than 50 through it.

get what you like and don't worry about it. Besides who wants to shoot 1000 plus rounds through a RUM anyways.
Awesome! Agree! Thank you for the info!!

I've always heard 800-1200 rounds for a RUM. But it also depends on how hot they are loaded up. And like @belshawelk said, who wants to shoot that many rounds through a RUM anyway. The last time I shot mine was 5 years ago when I shot my bear. Not sure it's even seen the light of day since then. I should probably get it out and clean it just because.

Back