Shoot out in Sula Basin

There needs to be a major culture change in Montana...many havent left 1960 in regard to how they hunt.

Pretty tough to police our own ranks when lots of the rank and file, dont have a problem...with the problems.

Thats apparent from this situation...nearly all of them had no problem with what they did.

I agree that taking away opportunities for youth is a lousy idea, but OTOH, if less of this BS is the result of taking away easy youth opportunities...so be it.

If it were me, I'd take away the youth hunt, and I'd make sure every TV station, every newspaper, and every radio station knew exactly why. I'd print why the youth cow elk hunt was taken away on the cover of every regulation booklet, post it on the home page of the MTFWP website, and have it printed on posters in every sporting goods store in Montana. There'd be no "wondering" why the cow hunt is gone. Let that sit for a few years and try again. Same results, you're done for 10 years with youth hunts.

The culture would change is my guess.

Whats your solution?

I really don't know what the solution would be. It would seem that everyone from the state level down to the participants could learn something from all this. I'll admit,I know nothing about this hunt, or how its run, but I'll throw a couple of ideas out to ponder.

Reduce the number of people who can hunt an area on any given day.

Make the hunt draw only for qualified youth hunters.

How about a mandatory orientation? Ethics, safety, sportsmanship, and past years problems could be highlighted.

I don't think the majority of hunters would want to see this program go away. It sounds like it needs to be better managed. Any other ideas?

In the whole scheme of things, this was one incident involving a tiny percentage of hunters and elk in the state. It happened, it will happen again in the future. The nature of elk herds and the familial way of hunting in the state make these type of situations become a somewhat common occurrence. Always have, and always will, theirs no denying that. Hopefully everyone involved learned a lesson and has a higher head on themselves the next time that situation arises, because it will.

I really don't know what the solution would be. It would seem that everyone from the state level down to the participants could learn something from all this. I'll admit,I know nothing about this hunt, or how its run, but I'll throw a couple of ideas out to ponder.

Reduce the number of people who can hunt an area on any given day.

Make the hunt draw only for qualified youth hunters.

How about a mandatory orientation? Ethics, safety, sportsmanship, and past years problems could be highlighted.

I don't think the majority of hunters would want to see this program go away. It sounds like it needs to be better managed. Any other ideas?

I think a couple of those are good ideas and may help.

Shoot-straight, the law is and those that violate it must pay. We have no shortage of laws in this country, just to few that get truly enforced. This will quickly get off topic, but there used to be a time when a person actually did "hard time" and it was for the full duration. Back to wildlife, there is no shortage of examples were people commit a wildlife offense and the punishment is not sufficient. Recent threads on this site alone show this. Examples need to be made, string a few people up. If you actually believe you will have to answer for your crimes, you are less likely to commit them. Otherwise you wouldn't have so many repeat offenders. In this particular case, it is hard. It is not a crime to be stupid or unethical. One of two things are how I see it. Shut it down or show a strong presence. People are going to tow the line if they know, or at least feel they are being watched. The logistics may be tough to show a strong presence, but smoke and mirrors does wonders. Not all those cameras in a store are real. Do the same in the field; empty trucks on an overlook, reminder signs, bodies in key locations, and yes bring in extra personnel. Again, logistics. But what is the price we are paying right now. It looks like lost opportunities for me and my children, yours to.

Easy now!

These ran into the fence. They came down off the hill, hit the road, bailed off the road bank which is about 6 feet and hit the fence. Warden thought they broke their necks. No bullet holes.

Easy now!

These ran into the fence. They came down off the hill, hit the road, bailed off the road bank which is about 6 feet and hit the fence. Warden thought they broke their necks. No bullet holes.

Thought you tanny's didn't believe in baiting.

...your inflammatory post & pic jones...not the calves.;)

Busted

They were in the Sula Basin though.

Last edited:
THere is a similar issue withthe Hunt in the Grand Teton Park...

The park also will limit hunters to no more than seven cartridges a day and prohibit them from taking more than one shot at a herd of running elk.

The ammunition limit mirrors restrictions on the nearby elk refuge, which also holds an annual hunt to cull the herd. Limiting hunters to a single shot at a herd of running elk will reduce the potential for “wounding loss,” the park said in announcing the program.

“It’s a way to make a hunter slow down, focus on a single animal,” park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said.

Park senior biologist Steve Cain agreed.
“It is to encourage appropriate hunter behavior,” he said.

While shooting at herds instead of an individual animal is not common, he said, rangers have witnessed a hunter fire 20 rounds at running elk from a long distance.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back