Shoot out in Sula Basin

Age restriction is not going to reduce this type of crap. Short of a gene pool extermination, we simply have to endure the stupid parents...
Parents need hard fines and community service (speak at hunter ed courses) for all who broke the law! A 2 year ban on hunt / fish and a probation of 10 years. The law becomes the "parent" for these kids. They need to feel the sting.

Simply put:
youcantfixstupid.jpg

Age restriction is not going to reduce this type of crap. Short of a gene pool extermination, we simply have to endure the stupid parents...
Parents need hard fines and community service (speak at hunter ed courses) for all who broke the law! A 2 year ban on hunt / fish and a probation of 10 years. The law becomes the "parent" for these kids. They need to feel the sting.

Simply put:
youcantfixstupid.jpg

^^^^ THIS!!! Agree Sytes.

Simply put:
youcantfixstupid.jpg

.....:D:D

I'm very glad that my dad taught me the right way to hunt, and that I went through the hunter certification course when I was young. Heck, I even sat through it again when my wife was taking it.

“There were fewer than 10 adults and somewhere around 30 to 40 kids standing there in the parking area,” he said.

It appeared that all of the 12- to 15-year-old hunters were arme

...what could possibly go wrong?

We shouldn't be saying this is a problem with the "youth hunt." The same thing happens every year when the cows congregate except it is usually adults.

I think it was breaksrunner that said, "theres 2 things that will make people do things they normally wouldnt...money and elk".
Ain't that the truth. I'm not sure how to solve it except to stop the cow hunt.

Stuff like this is why so many folks fought against the apprentice hunter program. Imagine if the bill went through, and we roped 5 year olds into a shooting spree like this. Hunter Education matters.

http://ravallirepublic.com/news/local/article_e3215830-6208-11e3-8e15-0019bb2963f4.html

I've read the article. I fail to see how this has anything to do with "Apprentice" or "Mentored" hunting programs. Haven't the youths involved passed their required hunter safety requirements? Being between the ages of 12 and 15 yrs, I would have to assume so. It sounds like more of a parenting, and hunt management issue.

I suspect you are just using this article to rail on, and against the people who brought forth the legislation in your home state.

Look beyond your state boundaries, and you will see that several other states have mentored programs that are successful, and very safe.

Hunter Ed. is important and viable - however - after the course is complete it means absolutely nothing if parents/mentors/supervisors or whatever you want to call them don't show/lead by example.

I took a lot of classes/courses and passed with flying colors and never retained squat diddly.

This whole deal has nothing to do with age (be it 5 or 15). A fine is not stiff enough for this parents in my opinion.

I've read the article. I fail to see how this has anything to do with "Apprentice" or "Mentored" hunting programs. Haven't the youths involved passed their required hunter safety requirements? Being between the ages of 12 and 15 yrs, I would have to assume so. It sounds like more of a parenting, and hunt management issue.

I suspect you are just using this article to rail on, and against the people who brought forth the legislation in your home state.

Look beyond your state boundaries, and you will see that several other states have mentored programs that are successful, and very safe.

Cur, do you have elk in your state? Do any of those areas that have mentoring programs have open elk hunting for youth?

When you put elk in front of some people they lose all body functions and and do things that normally they wouldn't.

With the communication technology we have today, can you imagine how many dads, uncles and brothers would have showed up in that situation to cash in on an elk?

It's not the kids fault, but the parents or the mentors. This messed demonstrated that mentors are the problem. Adding a bunch of younger kids, that have never even been through hunters safety to the frey wouldn't have been a good thing. You would have more poor mentors teaching more un ethical behavior. Montana is not like other states.

Ben: "Hunter Education" does matter as you put it (it matters greatly), however in the end it comes down to the parents (mentors). All kids in Iowa must under go the hunter ed program in order to hunt. We still have guys shooting from roads and other illegal stuff.

I agree with Cur dog & Cowboy: When it comes down to it, the "people" that these kids hunt with set the examples of how they will hunt in the future. That's a sad fact. Unfortunately this world has so-called "idiots" that set bad examples. I only hope that enough responsible mentors are involved and set the correct example of how we should hunt (act).

Here in Iowa we have youth mentored hunts for pheasant, turkey & whitetail deer. I participate every year and teach the ethical situations. Sure there are going to be some bad apples & I'm not sure how that is going to be stopped (unfortunately). Hopefully never a situation as bad as the one in that article.

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
In order to carry or use a firearm in public, a youth under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a person having charge or custody of the child, or be under the supervision of a qualified firearms safety instructor or an adult 18 years of age or older who has been authorized by the youth’s parent or guardian, as per Montana law.

From the Montana regs, sounds mentored to me.

In order to carry or use a firearm in public, a youth under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a person having charge or custody of the child, or be under the supervision of a qualified firearms safety instructor or an adult 18 years of age or older who has been authorized by the youth’s parent or guardian, as per Montana law.

From the Montana regs, sounds mentored to me.

Sounds more like a Babysitter to me. A hunting mentor should be an Adult 21 or older who has passed a Hunters Ed. course,who has never been convicted of a game related crime. The mentor needs to understand that they are responsible for the actions of the Youth hunter.Some states even have written into their code that, fines and penalties received for a game violation committed in the presence of a minor are automatically doubled.

I would bet some were with their parents, does that count ?

Sure it counts if an afternoon of target practice is on the slate. If a Mentored/Youth hunt is on the Docket I would think that the State that issued the tag would have the right to make sure that the Mentor met some minimum requirements.

Does Montana Law say how many people each person over 18 can mentor at one time?

I reckon boy scout troop 5 with 20 youth hunters and a troop leader would be all good?

Bottom line, the antlerless youth hunt needs to just go away. The number of adults that shoot elk for their kids, dont watch their kids, dont properly educate/mentor isnt worth the pain in the ass this hunt has created since its inception.

I cant tell you how many times I heard, "well for the next 4 years looks like I have a cow tag" from adults...in reference to their kids ability to hunt cows.

I'd bet 50% or more of the youth cow harvest is shot by adults, I bet higher than that in some areas of the state.

Time to end the youth cow hunts I'm afraid...which really is too bad.

This is an ongoing problem and always will be. Why, we don't punish the offenders. Not just in the outdoors but in all walks of our society. Until we start to hold people accountable for their actions, truly hold them accountable, we will always have these types of issues. We have grown soft as a country and everybody knows it.

Buzz, do you really think the percentage of jackasses is that high? I don't think this is about kids, it's about dumb adults. I can't imagine taking my kid hunting somewhere I knew there'd be other hunters - especially mobs of them. In fact, it was November this year before he saw another hunting in the field while hunting.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back