PEAX Equipment

Selling Public LandHR 621 and 622: Do We All Agree that Jason Chaffetz is a Coward?

The Salem, Oregon newspaper weighs in with article...

In Oregon, the 70,300 acres comes in parcels from 19 counties managed by the Bureau of Land Management. The parcels range from 44,533 acres in Harney County to 1 acre in Marion County.

“I think this bill is basically a ‘test balloon,’ to get the effort and conversation moving,” said Jim Moore, professor and director of the Tom McCall Center for Policy Innovation at Pacific University. “The land referenced here is pretty scattershot and may or may not make sense. I’d watch for a more focused effort if we’re really talking about this happening.”

It's not clear whether President Trump's administration would support the bill. Trump has made statements opposing the sale of public lands and nominated Montana lawmaker Ryan Zinke, who also opposes the idea, to lead the Department of Interior.

And a by county list in Oregon.....

Harney — 44,533 acres

Klamath — 7,506

Lake — 4,140

Giliam — 3,200

Jefferson — 2,120

Lincoln — 1,932

Wasco — 1,880

Deschutes — 1,475

Josephine — 810

Sherman — 800

Crook — 640

Tillamook — 402

Linn — 399

Hood River — 240

Jackson — 174

Clatsop — 40

Lane County — 9

Yamhill — 7

Marion — 1

Total: 70,300

Here is a link, good article, they deserve a click for the rest of the information....

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2017/01/31/sale-oregon-public-land-proposed-new-bill/97300742/

I made the quick call to my local rep's office (Pearce - NM) and put up a Facebook request asking friends to also call and say they do not support the bill(s). 2 have already done so this morning!

I made the quick call to my local rep's office (Pearce - NM) and put up a Facebook request asking friends to also call and say they do not support the bill(s). 2 have already done so this morning!

That is how it gets stopped.

Help your friends out if they don't know who to call.

Look up their congressman by their Zip code and get the local phone number for them.

We have a script in here a couple pages back to have them use if they don't know what to say.

These calls have to be made by more than your hunting buddies. They need to be called by the Soccer Mom's on Facebook, the Crazy Uncle on Facebook, the Gearhead with ATVs and race cars on Facebook.

Has anybody been able to talk to somebody at Cory Gardner's offices? Three calls to the Denver and Fort Collins offices have yielded no fruit. I think actually talking to somebody is more productive than an email, so I would like to actually get in touch with somebody.

I haven't had much luck finding the maps for this bill to see the properties in question, but this sucks. In Washakie county, where my dad's families ranch is, there are 14,600 acres on the chopping block. That is some great pronghorn country that is potentially going to get sold off. In Johnson county there are 40,500 acres in this bill. That is great deer and antelope hunting, as well as some nice hidden away places to fish. Same with Sheridan (35,200 acres) and Park (27,300 acres). And that is just the areas I have a personal connection too in Wyoming, let alone places that I have been in Colorado. I have been able to get some non-hunter friends on the ball, and I will keep talking to them so we can light the fire.

Has anybody been able to talk to somebody at Cory Gardner's offices? Three calls to the Denver and Fort Collins offices have yielded no fruit. I think actually talking to somebody is more productive than an email, so I would like to actually get in touch with somebody.

Cory Gardner has purposely turned off his phones, he wants to pretend that people in Colorado support him, and that the only people calling him are "paid protesters". These guys are in denial.

If you really want to read up on the arrogance of GOP Senators (most of whom have turned off phones now), here is the link to the Denver CBS station story.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/01/30/cory-gardner-paid-protesters-colorado-senate/

It is really quite arrogant.

1. It is my understanding the Republican politicians (and those who own them) are in control;
2. They don't care about what non-Republican constituents have to say;
3. If they have reached the point where they no longer listen to their Republican constituents via phone and whatnot, then there is only one thing that can get their attention *and only Republicans can do it.*
4. So, if you are a Republican, or if you know a Republican, ask yourself, or them: Why haven't you done it?
5. You don't have to wait two years. Do it NOW. They will know NOW. They will listen NOW. It is the only thing that will work.
6. Any Republican who fails to do it supports PLT. Simple as that. There is no reason to not do it.

Steve Pearce R-NM is anti-public lands...or public anything.
You will get the same thanks for your concern...blah blah,now FO letter I get weekly.

For the first time in my life, I have called and emailed both my representative and senator. Both happen to have that little "R" next to their name. I plan on calling every afternoon until the secretaries get sick of seeing my number pop up. Basically, this thread convinced a lurker to join the site and join the fight. Keep it up.

I love the little patchwork national forest in Missouri, and don't want to see the public lands out west shuttered and sold before I get a chance to chase an elk. Maybe next fall, vacation permitting.

For the first time in my life, I have called and emailed both my representative and senator. Both happen to have that little "R" next to their name. I plan on calling every afternoon until the secretaries get sick of seeing my number pop up. Basically, this thread convinced a lurker to join the site and join the fight. Keep it up.

I love the little patchwork national forest in Missouri, and don't want to see the public lands out west shuttered and sold before I get a chance to chase an elk. Maybe next fall, vacation permitting.

Rock it, R.K.!

Quick status update on locating and providing maps on the designated lands.

The report Chaffetz was using to identify lands is located here... https://chaffetz.house.gov/sites/chaffetz.house.gov/files/land disposal report.pdf

I have been in contact with the BLM offices in all of the states in which there are disposal lands but here is the rub, for the most part the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Most of the offices I have talked to have no idea this bill is/was out there and only know about the disposal lands in there region, meaning you have to contact multiple offices to get the lands for just one state.

Further there really isn't a specific list of lands held by the BLM and all of the GIS/ Land and typically each office is supposed to do it's own analysis to determine the lands. This is a response I got from the Pocatello office with the mapping files about their zone 4, i.e. disposal lands.

"IMPORTANT STUFF:
Please be aware that currently, the BLM Pocatello Field Office does not have any specific parcels (tracts) of land up for disposal. I believe the last BLM disposal within our field office was a land exchange (we provided some land in exchange for some nearby county land) for the Bannock County Landfill completed in 2010.

As mentioned previously, with the publication of the 2015 Sage-grouse RMP, any BLM-managed land (including zone 4 land) within priority, important, or general habitat should not be disposed of unless there is a net conservation benefit. To get a more accurate picture of Zone 4 land, you should definitely download the Sage-grouse habitat management zones dataset from Inside Idaho and use that.

Just because BLM-managed land is within Zone 4, does not mean that it is up for disposal (as mentioned, none currently) or that it ever will be. It only means that land within this zone has more potential to be disposed of IF it meets all the criteria outlined in the RMP page 79). "

My take away from this issue is that the process is incredibly opaque and there is a massive potential for shenanigans, most of the reports are vague with poor descriptions and bad maps. I don't think this is intentional just that these reports are designed for internal not public consumption. I have talked to some great/helpful people in the BLM, I think they are really trying to manage the lands effectively, but without easily accessible web or .pdf maps it would be extremely easy for a someone to get a parcel designated that would lock off access to public lands. I have already identified a couple of parcels in these reports.

It is my opinion that the LDS Church is working to become more powerful than the federal government. Do you want the church to own more land in the US then the public does? 70% of our national water supply comes from public lands. That's a lot of power by itself.

I've read some dumb chit on this forum but I give you kudos for this one elkmagnito. Do you also have the opinion that Mormon church building steeples are actually powerful intergalactic satellites that communicate with extraterrestrials? Everyone, call your Congressman and tell them about this Mormon takeover! The next time Mormon missionaries knock on my door I'm going to ask them to enlighten me on this government takeover plan. Seems to be quite apparent in rural Idaho, so thanks for enlightening us.

Seems outlandish knowing the good relationship between the two and believing in numerous coincidences.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Elkmagnito has been touched by His noodly appendage..

Attachments

• noodly.JPG
    noodly.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back