Caribou Gear Tarp

Season 2 or Season 3 rifle? ELK

gonzo04

Just was wanting to know your guys experiences/thoughts with these seasons. 2 brothers and myself planning on going rifle this year have archery hunted in years past. Can't go archery hunting this year do to other commitments so we are planning a rifle hunt and just curious what season would be a better choice.

Honestly it can be a toss up... this year third season was crazy because it fell pretty late and it seemed like everyone blew their points to hunt it. I hunted second season got a good buck and saw very few hunters. My advice would be to pick the season that works well for your schedule and then hunt the habitat in that unit that holds the animals you are going after for those conditions.

I'd recommend either 1st season or 3rd season. The 2nd can get busy. The only problem with the 3rd is the Bulls will be alone and probably in some very difficult terrain or on private. Unless you get a big dump of snow. I remember hunting south in the Gunnison Basin 15 years ago when we got about 2-3 foot overnight and it was one of the best hunting trips in my life.

Its really weather dependent - I'm assuming your focusing on elk and not deer. I've been out when 2nd was better and vice versa. Id say generally that 3rd tends to be better but you just never know. I for the most part hunt the fourth season and again that is weather dependent. This past year was unusual - just not enough weather even to that point that the elk weren't migrating. I hunt Northwest Colorado btw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back