PEAX Equipment

SE Montana winter kill

I'm guaranteed to draw since the winter kill will probably be bad. wish i hadn't put in so soon.

Nothing unusual is it?

no, usually if a guy needs parts or a entire vehicle he can usually count on picking something up along the highway from Busby to Ashland. Rain or shine its the best and cheapest auto parts salvage yard.

I'm guaranteed to draw since the winter kill will probably be bad. wish i hadn't put in so soon.

Broaden your horizons, there are other places in the state to hunt deer.

Actually, it's not insane. That's just the weather and bad luck.

Insane is what will/won't happen as a result of FWP/hunters.

That’s true. I wonder if in the same way we call our representatives when we want change about something, if it would be effective at all to flood the local biologists with 100s of calls?

Though it sounds like Southeast Montana is taking the worst of it, I think the winterkill in a fair amount of Montana statewide will be pretty darn bad. Here in West central Montana, this is the longest winter I’ve experienced in 25 years of living here.

I remember the last big kill. I was absolutely amazed we use to fly in to billings and drive North to 600s. We where use to seeing hundreds if not 1000s of antelope every year. After the winter of I think 10/11 the next year we seriously didn't count 20 on our normal route. That was my first education on western winter kill. The deer hunt was tough as heck that fall let me tell you.

We dodge most of it in the baker areas. Were calling for 8”. We maybe got 2”

We got an easy 8". Last night was flat ugly and the national weather service is calling for another 3 to 4 inches by Thursday. I am more than ready for this winter to end.

Now the weather service has upgraded us to another 6 to 8 inches and a chance of snow until Tuesday. Winter isn't ending any time soon

Last edited:
My buddy was at his place in extreme SE MT(west of Camp Crook SD) this weekend and said he saw a bunch of dead deer on his place and watched another one die over the course of the weekend right by the house, just fade out in 3 days.

Last edited:
I doubt it’s going to matter what the snow totals were the cold weather is going to take its toll on the wildlife . There were a lot of dead animals before this week and we’ve had a rough start with no end in sight. Antelope have been hit the hardest for sure but the deer aren’t far behind. Time will tell but my guess is this winter will be worse than 2010-2011.

I also agree with Buzz on this that we are going to have to hit rock bottom before anything changes. So I am not trying to change anyone’s plans of hunting here and if mtfwp is going to issue tags by all means fill them. I will hopefully be in Colorado!

It will not hit “rock bottom” & MtFWP will not change anything for a couple reasons:

No shortage of hunters whose “hunt of a lifetime” or their “best buck” is what most rational folks would consider rock bottom.

There’s enough private land to allow game to prevent going completely extinct.

Yeah very true greenhorn. I honestly quit caring about eastern Montana after it got ”Newberged” last year. Jokes!! But in all honesty I live here and I don’t enjoy hunting here anymore. I have lived through the good the bad and the really bad. Would love to see some changes.

Brockel, please keep those stories and pictures of those poorly managed wildlife in nd to yourself. Nd sucks!:hump:

Back on the subject, glendive area keeps getting the shaft on moisture. Our storm of the century was an inch. Crazy how things can change in 80 miles.

There’s enough private land to allow game to prevent going completely extinct.

A lot of truth in this.

" I have lived through the good the bad and the really bad." timmy

The really bad may yet be in our future.

The best think to happen to Eastern Montana would be better mule deer hunting in western Montana. Region 7 FWP seams to be thinking like two guys running from a bear. I don't need to be faster than the bear, just one step faster than the other guy.

When and what lead to the demise of western mt. mule deer hunting? I never hunted western mt years ago. So was it ever really really good? Thanks

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back