SE Montana winter kill

I wouldn't really consider South Dakota a "general season" hunt though. Tags are area specific, and muley tags can be tough to get for NRs.

Wyoming has a few general areas (A, F, X) that can be hunted in November.

Idaho has a few general areas that can be hunted in November, but are basically the same as limited entry due to the logistics of getting in/out.

Into November, or actually through November? I think the hunt in Idaho you are referring to are now limited entry for NR.

Into November, or actually through November? I think the hunt in Idaho you are referring to are now limited entry for NR.

You could day hunt from your house and kill a rutted up mule deer in Idaho in late November with a general tag, using the hood of your pickup as a rest.

While my post wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list of all the November deer hunting options, just the ones I have done personally or have researched, the Idaho hunt I had in mind was the unlimited NR tags in the Frank.

I've hunted region X in Wyoming, mule deer runs through the 10th. Same in F. Much of Region A goes through 11/30.

I'm not arguing any particular point, was just pointing out that there are a few general area November hunts.

While my post wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list of all the November deer hunting options, just the ones I have done personally or have researched, the Idaho hunt I had in mind was the unlimited NR tags in the Frank.

I've hunted region X in Wyoming, mule deer runs through the 10th. Same in F. Much of Region A goes through 11/30.

I'm not arguing any particular point, was just pointing out that there are a few general area November hunts.

No worries, I don’t expect a bibliography :)

The Frank hunts are mostly, if not all limited entry now.

My question regarding into November vs through November was not meant to be flippant, and I apologize if it came across that way. There is a night and day difference between ending a mule deer rifle season on the 15th vs the 28th.

No worries, I don’t expect a bibliography :)

The Frank hunts are mostly, if not all limited entry now.

My question regarding into November vs through November was not meant to be flippant, and I apologize if it came across that way. There is a night and day difference between ending a mule deer rifle season on the 15th vs the 28th.

Ha! No problem, I didn't take it that way. I just didn't want my post to sound like I was championing nearly unlimited mule deer hunting during the rut, the merits of which I am not knowledgeable enough to argue for or against.

I see there is another bad storm going through from east of Billings down to Sheridan, WY that is to drop a lot more snow through the day all the way to ND! It sure sounds like the animals, especially antelope, are going to be lucky to survive this winter that just won't quit.

::
Low numbers in the snowcrest? I see 200-300 deer a day in there during rifle season. The snowcrest is one of the few areas that have actually improved in recent years. Conifer encroachment is definitely an issue in SW MT though.

I'm probably not that good at spotting deer.
Also don't spend much time looking at private land, but agree, see hundreds a day there.

Wow I wish I started hunting 20 years ago . I keep hearing how good it used to be and how many more deer used to be on the landscape . I must have been fooling myself because I thought the number of decent bucks and the tons of does I saw was good pretty good in SE MT . Now I am realizing how much better things could be and used to be . SE Montana must have been a hunters paradise 20-30 years ago .

I also agree that you know who and his podcast and videos have added to the equation out there . Not only did I see his crew of hunters I saw more in general last year then previously .

I really hope the population bounces back quickly .

Curious what your thought was? PM me if you want.

I spend a lot of time hunting on the Idaho/Montana border, and a lot of the guys hunting Idaho come through here and use our taxidermists. It is incredible how much better they manage that resource than we do.

We have guys on here that live on both the ND/WY border saying they're seeing the same thing.

I don't doubt that range conditions are a larger scale issue, but that doesn't change the fact that Montana is mismanaging the hell out of our deer. The same thing has been stated a hundred different ways in this thread though, so I'm not sure what I'm arguing.

It's a very frustrating situation, and this winter is going to really expose things. It sure seems worse than 2011 to me, especially in how wide spread the weather is.

.. but that doesn't change the fact that Montana is mismanaging the hell out of our deer.

It sure seems worse than 2011 to me, especially in how wide spread the weather is.

Truth. Way worse than 2010-11 winter. And it has clobbered the eastern Rocky Mtn Front as bad as anywhere also. Another place that has been destroyed by mismanagement and overhunting.

More facts to add, Mule deer are rutting full steam first week of November. Montana was in sad, sad shape long before this winter, and there will be nothing done, at all by MT FWP to let off some of the steam on these deer/antelope. And, people will still show up in full force to clobber anything legal.

It's almost surreal.

Attachments

• forcast.JPG
    forcast.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 312
I don't doubt that range conditions are a larger scale issue, but that doesn't change the fact that Montana is mismanaging the hell out of our deer. The same thing has been stated a hundred different ways in this thread though, so I'm not sure what I'm arguing.

I don’t disagree with you. I was pointing that out more to say the 60-70s are not achievable or sustainable in this day and age. However, in light of that, Art is entirely correct in that we shouldn’t be hunting like it’s still the 60-70s.

I think it would be entirely appropriate to make MTs deer season a four week season, ending no later than the end of October.

I don’t disagree with you. I was pointing that out more to say the 60-70s are not achievable or sustainable in this day and age. However, in light of that, Art is entirely correct in that we shouldn’t be hunting like it’s still the 60-70s.

I think it would be entirely appropriate to make MTs deer season a four week season, ending no later than the end of October.

This would work until its brought up at a FWP tentative meeting. The HT group is considerably different then the general hunter out there who wants to just kill a buck every year. In the Bitterroot there is a push every season setting year to return HD261 and HD270 to general tags.

Even mention shorter seasons in general units and 06 packin bubbas have a come apart.

I don't think current conditions are even close to as bad as say north of Winifred. South faces are still buried deep there. Im actually worried about the bighorn sheep with conditions like this, this late in the spring. Unreal

In the Bitterroot there is a push every season setting year to return HD261 and HD270 to general tags.
What a fricken disaster this would be. You would think people would look at the successes of LE areas and want more of the same. mtmuley

For me personally, limited entry areas is a step in the wrong direction. The solution is simple in my opinion - Stop general season hunting mule deer during the rut with high powered rifles!! October general seasons. Short range weapons or limited entry during the rut. Sell just as many or more tags. Problem solved.

Heck from the bucks I've seen in the back of locals trucks while in Montana they shoot the first buck that rolls by for the most part. I'm not so sure an early season will change much on that field. I do think much shorter seasons should be in place in Montana. That could help things along.

I'm kinda torn on if I draw about turning in my tag this year. The only reason I don't want to is I know it will go into another hand and that person may shoot a small deer instead of something more mature.

If I draw I'll be going . If I don't draw I'll be applying for a r4 cow tag and still go and have a good time . Can't kill them on the couch . Brown bear , I agree with you that having the season in October would do nothing or very little for saving 2-3 points they'd still get whacked . The ones it would save tho is some of the 22-25" bucks that get stupid around nov 10

Just another observation on this extended winter, areas still receiving these heavy snows are going to be hell on all upland game and turkeys as well. Grouse should be on the leks now but the hatch will be horrible if something don't give soon.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back