Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SD opener report.

T Bone

Just finished up with a very long day of bird hunting with my 12 year old. This is his first year hunting for himself.

In short, today was filled with cold, rain, snow, wind, mud, birds, GSP's, high brass 6's, high fives, numb fingers, hot chocolate, and lastly a skunk.

2 hour drive early this morning went fast with excited chatter from my 12 year old. Weather forecast to be 39 degrees, snow and rain all day, 15-20 mph winds. Brrr.

We arrived to the area prior to the 11 oclock mdt legal start time and we found plenty of birds. We geared up, and watched the clock tick. Finally we hit the field.

Immediately we were into birds. Bonnie my tried and true GSP locked up tight and Nathaniel circled and an area half the size of a football field erupted with ringnecks. I kid you not, the sky darkened with roosters. He flailed away with the pump 12 guage, but nothing fell out of the sky. He came out smiling.

We picked up singles and doubles in the belly high grass with the same results. Frustration was setting in on him. His hands were numb, his body soaked from head to toe. We went back to the truck and warmed up with sandwiches and hot chocolate. We changed out pants and gloves and went out to another spot.

We took Clyde, my younger GSP out of the box and headed out. He locked up. We circled. Out comes a trophy jack rabbit, dumb dog. We take another step and up comes a rooster at his feet, great dog!. The shotgun comes up and folds the bird up with his first shot! First bird down! We try to take a picture, but the camera is severely broken.

We continue on and he repeats on a sharptail grouse. He's all grins.

We continue and by golly, I'm even getting cold. We head back to the truck. We go to a new area. I pull out my shotgun and load it up. With two birds down, Nathaniel choosed to stay in the truck and keep warm. I head out with Bonnie for a quick hunt. Quick, because I'm freaking cold and wet.

Bonnie dog and I find birds, fold a few roosters up and get back to the truck.

Trip isn't over yet.

On the way out, a blitzing skunk runs under my tire and pops like an overripe cherry. Instantly we're overcome INSIDE from the skunk stink, as the defrosters were on and take air from the outside.

New Toyota Tundra is now skunk truck. I pulled into the garage getting home and the mud dripping off the truck stunk up the garage so bad I had to park it outside and pressure wash the garage out and while I was already cold and wet I scubbed the truck down. It cut down a lot of the stink, but it's still there.

Inside the truck it's not as potent, but definately noticeable. Hopefully it will fade quickly.

Overall, a very memorable trip. Wish the camera hadn't broke.

Awesome on the birds.........................bummer on the skunk.

But I must say the skunk part is funny.

What happened to either a sheep hunt or a new Tundra????;):D

Congrats to your boy on his first bird hunt. I think it took me a few boxes to get my first bird.

Frick that truck stinks. I pulled it back into the garage after washing it, and in the middle of the night had to get up and move it back outside. The whole house stinks now.

Any suggestions how to get the stink off?

Frick that truck stinks. I pulled it back into the garage after washing it, and in the middle of the night had to get up and move it back outside. The whole house stinks now.

Any suggestions how to get the stink off?

500 gallons of tomato juice?

Congratulations to your son. Mine are old now but I still look forward to outings with them.

"Any suggestions how to get the stink off."

Another new truck. But get a real one this time.::)

Reminds me of that Seinfeld show. The one with the stink in the car.:D

Way to go Dad! I am sure the youngen' will remember the hunt forever.

Keep up the good work.

He locked up. We circled. Out comes a trophy jack rabbit, dumb dog. We take another step and up comes a rooster at his feet, great dog!
Haha! That is funny. Gotta learn to trust the pup, eh? :D

My shorthair got blasted by a skunk from about 2ft away a couple years ago and he stunk for a month despite numerous baths in the hydrogen peroxide / baking soda concoction.

I'll trade you my Tundra too. It continually has a pleasant spoiled milk aroma from the "spillproof" cups my kids use. Spillproof... my arse.

Mouthwash is the answer.

I replaced the cabin air filter and it the old one was yellow with skunk juice. Then scrubbed everything in the filter box and as much plumbing as I could reach with mouthwash, followed by baking soda. Spent $10 worth of quarters at the car wash hosing down the underside.

It's very bearable now for this weekend's road trip to Idaho!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back