2023-2024 Chukar Adventures

Irrelevant

I finally got out this year. Been bogged down by kids sports, deer hunting, and trying to get all the pre-winter chores that I put off all summer finally done.

I failed both myself and my pup and didn't work on force fetching at all, it was the only goal I had, and I made almost zero progress, again, the "whole summer" mentality bit me in the ass.

This was a pretty fun start, we had a kid in our office we poached from another office to do some field work on a couple of projects. He's just out of college, and just started hunting a couple of years ago, but already has more under his belt than I do the last decade (in WA). We (I have one coworker than is as into Chukar as I am and in much better shape) were BS'n and made the comment that chukar are just so hard to hit... and he was like "why?" We embellish but generally describe why it's so hard and why the artist-formerly-known-as-JLS is incredible for his consistent limits. This cocky bugger replies, "I mean if I went more then a couple of shots without getting one I'd be surprised, I'm pretty good at trap."

We immediately invited him. I love the setup.

We picked a spot that was going to have some birds but not many, wouldn't have anything close to the truck, and if he invited all his buddies and we lost it, it wouldn't be much of a loss.

It's almost mean to describe how the hunt actually went. But needless to say, about 700ft off the valley floor we were both waiting for him, and when he finally got to us he said he needed to sit down for a while. But then proclaimed he was fine... as asked again at 1,500 ft. He said he left leg was cramping, but he was fine... At 2,000 ft he said both his legs were cramping and if we didn't mind he was going to go back to the truck. I gave him the keys and my buddy and I proceeded on a big, though almost entirely fruitless loop through some cliff bands only managing one bird. Though I blanked on the easiest shot I've had in a really long time. We get back to the truck 1.5 hr later and he's not there, we finally spot him 300 ft up still, sitting, "Wait, did he just slide on his butt?" Yes, he admitted both his legs effectively stopped working and he had to slide on his butt on the steep sections. At this point I felt quite guilty. I hope he's okay. He could hardly hobble out of my truck when I dropped him off.
1699316569817.png

1699316592889.png

I probably shouldn't tell him my daughter did this hunt without complaint at 11.

We embellish but generally describe why it's so hard and why the artist-formerly-known-as-JLS is incredible for his consistent limits. This cocky bugger replies, "I mean if I went more then a couple of shots without getting one I'd be surprised, I'm pretty good at trap."
I used to think I was a good shot on birds after competing in trap and shooting a lot of ducks, pheasants, and grouse. JLS and Finn had difficulty not laughing at my attempts of flinging lead at those little feathered missiles.

I hunted those bastards in Nevada, with regularity. The most frustrating bird hunt in North America, which makes it all that more rewarding when you finally get one or two. Never came close to a limit.

Looks like fun, well, a different type of fun.

I've shot a few chukar, but they came out of a cage and I did it in the name of bird dog training. Tasty buggers.

I'd like to give it a go on the real deal someday (I think).

Cool stuff, beautiful place neffa.

i saw my first chukar ever a couple weekends ago while moose hunting in Idaho. To hell with the moose :ROFLMAO: I'm taking my shotgun if we go this weekend.

I usually can't get excited about birds but damn, this looks like fun!
I also really appreciate the mega sandbag you hit the new guy with, he should have taken one look at your hunting partner's getup and realized it wasn't going to go well for him...

Can you imagine what a wild chukar thinks of seeing of their relatives....penned raised chukars planted in a wheat field?

No matter how high you climb, chukars are always cackling a few hundred vertical above you.

Killing a chukar and seeing it crumpled and crashing a few hundred vertical below you gets you the stink eye from your dog every time. I always feel for the dog. They must dream of sitting in a duck blind.

If you think chukar hunting is hard, wait til the ground freezes.

Can you imagine what a wild chukar thinks of seeing of their relatives....penned raised chukars planted in a wheat field?

No matter how high you climb, chukars are always cackling a few hundred vertical above you.

Killing a chukar and seeing it crumpled and crashing a few hundred vertical below you gets you the stink eye from your dog every time. I always feel for the dog. They must dream of sitting in a duck blind.

If you think chukar hunting is hard, wait til the ground freezes.
see my profile pic. I was wearing crampons. Frozen ground with a skiff of snow. I took them off once I crested over the ridge as the south sides were easy walking.

I love chukar hunting but my spots sound much easier than yours. I won’t say I’m a strong enough person to always do this, but if you restrain from shooting the first wild flushes on a point, the second waive of birds are very killable. However, I have watched the second waive try to knock my hat off while I hold an empty Benelli BUL.

This thread gets me excited for my hunt on Saturday. Hells Canyon with my son.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    989 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts