Scouting for goats in Montana

For you experienced mountain goat hunters, how much time do you put into scouting. I understand the long shot in drawing the tag first but if that was accomplished is it feasible to do several 3 day weekend trips before season. Any thoughts and replies are appreciated.

For you experienced mountain goat hunters, how much time do you put into scouting. I understand the long shot in drawing the tag first but if that was accomplished is it feasible to do several 3 day weekend trips before season. Any thoughts and replies are appreciated.
Totally feasible. Goats are usually pretty visible. Depending on which unit you draw will make a big difference in how much time you can spend looking at goat country and how much time you spend hiking into goat country.

Like @Gerald Martin posted, its totally feasible. I drew my first Montana Goat tag back in 1975 (Yeah, a long time ago). It was in a FS Wilderness Area near where one of my co-workers grew up. The Montana Goat seasons open early in September and run until the end of November. I have seen goats in August that are still shedding their previous years winter coat, and since much of a goat's trophy value is their long hair, so I waited until mid October to look for my goat. Short version of my hunt was that I found a Billy, didn't get a shot, got snowed out, and ate my tag.

In 1978 I drew another goat tag, this one about 100 miles from home. With that tag, I spent a couple of summer weekends taking my horses back in that unit scouting goats and fishing. That was also one of the Unlimited sheep units, so I bought a ram tag and went back into that unit in September looking for a ram and scouting goats. I purposely left my goat tag at home in September and early October so I wouldn't be tempted to shoot a goat with short hair. I saw goats on all of my scouting trips.

Then in mid November I finally put my goat tag in my pocket and went hunting. It was -5* F and 1-2' of snow when I started up the mountain. In pre-season it had taken me about an hour to climb that mountain. That day it took over 3 hours to climb it, but I did find a nice, old Billy.
k9AypEpl.jpg

I have applied for another Montana mountain goat tag every year since 1978 without drawing another tag. And every year the mountains have got higher and steeper.

Nice goat, unfortunately I got the bug a little later in life to go west not sure why I waited so long just hoping to get lucky once or twice before i cant make it up the mountain.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back