Caribou Gear Tarp

Scarpas and Width

authentichunter

Does anyone know how I can adjust the width of Scarpa boots? Scarpa's "Fit & Sizing" guide state, "Boots will often give or can be modified in width terms but it is virtually impossible to modify the length of a boot." However, the guides does not offer any suggestion for how to adjust the width of boots. Any suggestions?

I don't speak for Scarpa (although I did work in an outdoor store for a while and fitted many backpacking boots including Scarpas), but I think they are talking about changing insoles, or even loosening or tightening the laces. Needless to say, the width adjustment from those changes would not be great, but it could make a little difference. We used to widen plastic ski boots with a heat gun, but that obviously would not work!

Forgot to mention, I wear Scarpas because they are built on a last that closely approximates my feet and they offer half sizes past 12 (I need a 46.5 EU size, roughly equivalent to a 12.5 US), but they do not fit well with insoles, so I just took them out. No insoles at all also equals a wider fit. My feet are not as warm as they would be with insoles, but not a problem most of the time where I live.

Thank you for the response. I will play around with some lacing and insole combinations. I love my Scarpas, but I have developed neuromas in both feet and having wider shoes seems to help. Hopefully some adjustments will give me a bit more room in the Scarpas.

I have done a couple of things with hiking boots to get a little more width for the 'ol bunion. Took a pair to a shoe repair shop and had them stretched across the instep a tad. Another pair I put on and stood in a pan of water and walking around in them until they were mostly dry.

Hope the adjustments work because the only sure fire way to fix the problem is to have a pair of custom boot made. Sounds fun and affordable, right?

Back