Saved by the Bull?

LandDiver

A couple scenereo's played out in front of me this past weekend that I'm curious to know what could be the reasoning for it. This is my first September, and I have started hunting last November so I am really new to hunting with a bow. I am not hunting for horns. Just looking to be successful.

Scenereo #1
Heard a bull bugle in the timber so we cut the distance and made sure we had the wind. Bugled and cow called a few times to make sure he was still coming, which he was. At 40 yards he was coming in on the trail I was expecting him to come in on. At 30 yards he would HAVE had an arrow through him. I could hear him breathing, almost like he was having a hard time breathing (that's what it sounded like to me). I could also hear him pissing non stop as he bugled his way closer to where I was set up at. He was walking on the edge of the timber and a meadow. From 40 yards away to 30 yards when I planned to squeeze the release there were pine trees in a row, and only at 30 yards did it open up and allow for broadside shot. Well during that 10 yards of pine trees another bull came up from the draw and pulled him back down with him. Almost like he said, "hey what are you doing? Let's go!" I was left excited, but puzzled as I would have never thought this would happen. Any idea's to what they were thinking?

Scenereo #2
After we woke from our afternoon nap almost 2000ft down from where we started we gathered our things to get ready for the evening. I once read Cory Jacobson write, "if somebody tell's you that you bugle to much you don't need that kind of negativity in your life." LOL! So we let one rip. A couple minutes later a bull responded. We usually nap in this meadow, just before we drop down into the timber and creek bottoms. Where the bull bugled from we knew immediately that he was coming in on the cow trail we walked in on. We got a little worried because not to long before that we filled up with water from the spring just above the trail where he was coming in on. Without a doubt the bull was coming. So I set up tucked in to some trees, but had every shot angle I needed. I had trees ranged at 20-60 all over the meadow. Especially where the trail comes out. He bugled and bugled, then stopped just short of showing himself. He barked, which to me said, "show yourself." So caller moved back deeper into the timber and bugled again, then moved around and cow called. He barked again. Then caller and bull had a conversation that I can only translate to the bull saying, "show yourself/where are you?" Then caller barked back and I thought he was saying, "no you show yourself!" LOL! This went on for almost 10 minutes, then the bull turned around and returned to the heard. What could we have done differently?

My first September has been a blast so far! Been seeing bulls, but nothing rutty just yet. I think it's very near though. Canyons aren't exploding with bugles, but man bugles get them to sound off every once in a while. Looking forward to getting back out soon. I don't care what elk presents me with a good shot, I'm taking it.

#1 it's hard to say without being there.
#2 I'd bet money he smelled where you had walked on the trail earlier. He was barking to warn the other elk in the area of the danger and simultaneously trying to locate you to plain his exit. They can smell your tracks at least 6hr later. Well they can smell mine anyway.

I've learned that with elk, the best laid plans almost never work and you really have no clue what they are thinking. They are wise and sometimes their actions have no rime or reason.

But I'd agree with elkmagnet on the assessment of what the bulls were thinking.

I just listened to a recent hunt the backcountry podcast with elknut. It seems like it may have some insight into what you experienced. Might be worth a listen, episode 93 I believe.

Last edited:
I would agree with elkmagnet. A bark from an elk is an alarm signal to other elk - either he smelled you or felt something wasn't just right and was warning other elk in the area. I have watched elk do this from a distance with predators several times.

1. Scenario. He saw that other bull and thought that's where the elk sounds were coming from. He went to join the party where the elk are, not where they were. You did nothing wrong.

2. Elk don't like to come into the open when called. Set up on their side of the meadow in the dark timber.

1. Scenario. He saw that other bull and thought that's where the elk sounds were coming from. He went to join the party where the elk are, not where they were. You did nothing wrong.

2. Elk don't like to come into the open when called. Set up on their side of the meadow in the dark timber.

This.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back