Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bugling during a rifle rut hunt?

220yotekiller

So my wife (270.Rose), drew a bull elk tag that we can hunt rut for, so the resident guide, packer, caller, and coach it has fallen on me to help her get within range. Should I take my bugle tube and use bugles more for locating before stalking in or should I stick with cow calls? I should add that I'm not that great at bugling but I can cow call with the best of them.

If it is a General season hunt with lots of road access, bulls can become wary of Bugles. I like to bugle after dark when they let their guard down. It will give me an idea of where to start in the morning. But I use cow calls almost exclusively when I do call.

My rifle rut hunts have not had a lot of calling because the elk were vocal. I could find them in openings in range of the rifle.

If it is a General season hunt with lots of road access, bulls can become wary of Bugles. I like to bugle after dark when they let their guard down. It will give me an idea of where to start in the morning. But I use cow calls almost exclusively when I do call.

My rifle rut hunts have not had a lot of calling because the elk were vocal. I could find them in openings in range of the rifle.
Thanks, this is the way I was leaning.

I got a hunt on the tail end of the rut. Im bringing a bugle tube but or cow calls only. Im not sure I’d even consider using it after the first gunshot though.

How much pressure does the area receive? How big of a unit for how many rut tags?
^^^ key question here. I would keep my ears on for bugles, but how much back-and-forth I would do with a bull would depend on hunting pressure and the circumstances of the day.

In Sask are OTC rifle opens September 15 so right in the rut. I have bugles one bull in after hearing him bugle and moving in close. A couple cow calls and a bugle he ripped one off and ran into 20 yards. But for the most part I never bugle. I feel like bugles just call in hunters and in a seaosn I usually only hear one bull bugle the whole time where I hunt. Now for draw unless it’s a lot of people drawn you can bugle away and bulls will respond great

With the heavy hunting pressure we get here during the general season, bulls are quiet, especially on public lands, and as such, I leave the bugle tube home and only cow call.

Are they still bugling in mid October? I have an Elk City B Tag...Oct. 10-24...Spent my whole life hunting Blacktails in Western Washington...

Are they still bugling in mid October? I have an Elk City B Tag...Oct. 10-24...Spent my whole life hunting Blacktails in Western Washington...
Only if they are really unpressured and there are second cycle cows. Most likely they are pulled off the cows in security cover far from roads and trails and deep in canyons. Find the place you would dread packing a bull out of and there is likely one bedded in there.

Only if they are really unpressured and there are second cycle cows. Most likely they are pulled off the cows in security cover far from roads and trails and deep in canyons. Find the place you would dread packing a bull out of and there is likely one bedded in there.
Love this input...thanks!!

Maybe? I know multiple bulls killed in units with less elk than where you’re going that bugling led to them getting shot the first couple days of the season. The most bugling I’ve ever heard in a day was somewhere around October 20th in a unit that was only open to spikes.

I do think if you are bugling in that country you probably have a better chance of calling in other hunters than you do elk

That's still the late rut here. Usually. They can bugle into Nov.
No not bugle back.
Use cow calls to cover and move in.
There is a bull out there. Or hunters calling.
Odds are it is a bull at 3am, not a hunter.

I always have both my bugle tube and cow calls. I usually start with the cow calls and use the bugle as needed. Sometimes they are quick to respond and sometimes they shut down. It depends on the pressure. But that is why I take both, you never know what will work that day.

Back