Save my ass, please.

Bicycle shorts underneath your jeans helps with the rubbing. 17 miles is an easy day you’ll be fine

Wise man. Compression shorts almost as good. Panty hose tops have been successful per some but never tried that. A dab of vaseline on the brown eye each morning before saddle up is helpful. For me, 90% of pain is on knee joints on downhill grades.

I have done that one, and walking down hills helps the knees and silk long johns will help with the rest. Good luck, hope the wolves didn't cut the population down to much.

Did a similar trip for a high country buck a couple years ago. I rode often as a kid but it had been 30+ years since putting more than a couple minutes in the saddle. It wasn't as bad as I expected. As some have said, just move with the horse and keep your core tight. I found changing up my body position, even slightly, every mile or so helps. The outfitter's main horse wrangler who rode daily had something like this:

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Thi...ddle_Cushion_Seat_Saver/descpage-TLGCWSS.html

and he was a young fella.

Oh, and pro tip, cowboys wear tight britches for a reason...loosey goosey can be a real ball buster, so to speak. I wore my carhartts on the long ride in and out.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've done a number of 20+ mile days in the saddle, including one pull out of the Bob that was 28 miles. Being sore is a fact of life if you don't ride much, and some of it is completely dependent on the saddle and the horse. I've never done bike shorts, so I can't speak to whether they help or not.

Adjust your stirrups so when you stand up in them there is about 3-4 inches between your butt and the saddle. Taking your feet out of the stirrups periodically is good advice. Also, don't be afraid to get off and walk, particularly if there is a steep downhill.

Take some ibuprofen with you for the day after. Have a great trip.

when they find you a saddle find one that doesnt have the stitching padded seat deal, one good piece of leather with no seams will be better, also if a saddle has a drop plate rigging, not a big D ring right where the inside of your knees will be will save some pain,,,,,, google the types of rigging, full double with the d rings, and a flat plate plate that is lower, whatever good saddle they have ride the horse it fits,,, not the other way around,,,,

If your ride gets bumpy stand up a little , get your weight off the saddle until the horse goes back to a slow walk it will save your butt. If your knees get stiff and the terrain is easy pull your feet out of the sturips until they feel loose again. I have quarter horses but a gaited horse like a Tennessee Walker or a Foxtrotter is a much smoother ride ! Those kind of horses you can just sit on them and ride all day without doing much and still feel good at the end of the day. Ask your outfitter if he has a gaited horse you can ride.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back