Save my ass, please.

Ben Long

OK. I'm a week away from a wilderness pack hunt for elk. First day is something like 17 miles in the saddle. It's been years since I've ridden anything like that distance, and I remember is at as painful experience. Obviously, I don't have a lot of time to break in my riding muscles or toughen up my backside. Any advice from you experienced packers to make that ride in less painful?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Anti-Mon...RybXtGt7gdj8TOyteP71Lyn9bM67IUMgaAggBEALw_wcB

ff0e6e60-f4de-4281-987c-b303752d379c_1.0c944262ac447719b2da5c330efbd4c6.jpeg

More seriously, I might consider bike riding shorts under my pants.

I only use the heel toe express, so I suppose you could walk and save your keister. Or walk off and on.

Stretching helps - before during and after. Walk every now and then along the way. But the morning after you get there, they prob won't be able to pry you out of your sleeping bag with a crow bar. :)
Not too much sympathy tho. You booked it so you knew it was coming.....

Last edited:
Gotta admit, i just glanced at this and thought it was Ben "Lamb", not Long. I was going to to offer to pay and come along
so as I could snicker at his misery :hump:

I rode a horse for 2 hours in late July. First time in about 30 years. I was surprised that the effects were primarily to my knees; I was nearly crippled by the time I got off. Luckily I recovered with just 15-20 minutes of walking around, but I was left wondering why someone would willingly subject themselves to such. Surely there must be an easier way to get the same result, like maybe a baseball bat to the side of each knee?

Good luck. ;)

My question is HOW LONG have you known you were going on this trip. Then you can figure out the rest. Good luck.

Bicycle shorts underneath your jeans helps with the rubbing. 17 miles is an easy day you’ll be fine

HAHAHA these comments, majorly not useful but humorous!

Anywho, I don't have much to contribute but just thinking rationally, stretching and walking is probably going to be your best bet!

No expertise here, but some hard earned experience. Biggest issue will likely be your knees more than your rear end. Take the time to get the stirrups adjusted, and don’t be afraid to mess with the adjustment during the course of the ride. A notch or two can make a big difference. If possible, wear boots that will easily fit into the stirrups for the ride. Packers or even regular cowboy boots. Fighting the ride with hiking boots too big for the stirrups is miserable and can be dangerous. Get off and walk a bit along the way if your packer will allow. And last, vitamin I (ibuprofen). Lots of vitamin I.

Have a great trip.

All kidding aside it's interesting to watch how people ride. You will notice good riders are loose and almost become part of the horse/saddle as it moves. The guys who get sore are the ones who try to tense up while riding instead of just going with the saddle. I'd focus on trying to relax and move with the animal.

All kidding aside it's interesting to watch how people ride. You will notice good riders are loose and almost become part of the horse/saddle as it moves. The guys who get sore are the ones who try to tense up while riding instead of just going with the saddle. I'd focus on trying to relax and move with the animal.

Whiskey.

Gotta admit, i just glanced at this and thought it was Ben "Lamb", not Long. I was going to to offer to pay and come along
so as I could snicker at his misery :hump:

Me on a horse would be funnier than any Adam Sandler movie ever made. Luckily, it's Mr. Long who has to endure this misery and not I. :)

Should have asked 3 months ago and gotten some riding lessons....

After all that is part of getting in shape.

Don't adjust your stirrups too short. They should be long enough you can get some separation between your seat and the saddle but less than a fist's width.

Pre-emptive Gold Bond anti friction or Body glide on the inside of your knees and on your "Sit" bones will help the chafing.

As mentioned before, walk occasionally, stretch your hamestrings, and groin. Start on the stretches 2x a day (Today). That's the best cramming you can do...

Thanks fellers. I definitely left myself open to some jabs, but that's OK because there's some solid advice in there too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back