Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Savage 300 win mag

konasage

I am looking for a new-er-ish Savage in 300 win mag pref. with stainless and composite?? Also looking for some good info on trail cams. There are sooo many and I don't want to waste money on a turd. Thanks

Last edited:
Great choice on the gun. I have one that I use and love it. It is not for sale, but I am an FFL and can buy anything and ship it. That is not the reason for my post though. I did a lot of research when I bought a trail cam and ended up with the Bushnell Trophy Cam. It takes great pictures and is easy to program. It costs a little more than some others, but my opinion is it is the best one on the market. One thing I liked about it was that I could get a lockable metal box for it. I use two 4" lag bolts and screw the box to a tree, slide the camera in, put on the lid and lock it. Someone would need to pack in bolt cutters and a sawzall to get to the camera. This is my take on what you are looking for.

Thanks idaho, think I am going to start putting a camera on a wallow I hunt. Also looking at getting a treestand, any thoughts?

I have a Kimber 300 WSM and absolutely love it! My cousin has the Savage and won't shoot anything else...

I can't help you on the rifle, but I know a little about treestands. The best climbing stand I have used by far is a Summitt. It is the easiest to climb with and the most comfortable. Ladder stands all seem to be about the same, look for the one with the most comfortable seat. I have used ladder stands but they have a lot of disadvantages, can't get up high enough for me, heavy, and take at least two people to set up. I have not used a fixed stand in years, but I would look at the Summitt and some of the larger and lightweight ones. I hope that helps a little.

Back