Sausage making

Rat Fink

I love making sausage from my antelope. So what's step one for a good batch of bratwurst?
Killing a pronghorn of course. And it being my best one yet is just a bonus.

Attachments

• Antelope Buck.jpg
    Antelope Buck.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 354
Nice goat!

Care to share your recipe? For some reason antelope makes some really good processed foods. Its like the meat absorbs the flavor better than others.

Excellent pronghorn.

Share that recipe. I've got 10 pounds of chunk ready for the grinder.

What a great buck, love the shape and mass, looks like a taxidermy bill to me. Congrats!!

Thanks guys. I rough taped him at 14 inches last night, but being that I don't care about real scores it was just a way to compare him to my previous bucks.

Like Bambistew mentioned, for some reason antelope meat makes great sausage. I think it is the mild flavor that takes to the spices and smoke really well.

I use these recipes for much of my sausage http://www.eldonsausage.com/category-s/1953.htm
I add jalapenos and cheese to my brats, or just cheese and cure and then smoke them for a cheddarwurst. The summer sausage recipe is awesome as well.

Super nice buck, congrats! I like pronghorn meat almost too much to make sausage. I generally use deer. Either way, sausage is one of the links ;) to a happy life!

We don't eat a lot of sausage other than summer sausage. We generally have used brat mixes from Cabelas or Con Yeager with great results.

That is a great buck!

Nice buck!

Question for you guys who make sausage: Do you add any fat (beef, pork, bacon) to your mix of meat or do you just use the lean pronghorn/deer/elk venison without adding fat?

Nice buck!

Question for you guys who make sausage: Do you add any fat (beef, pork, bacon) to your mix of meat or do you just use the lean pronghorn/deer/elk venison without adding fat?
Depending on the type of sausage I might add some ground pork or beef to the grind. Jowel bacon works well for this. I like a bit of fat in my bigger sausages like summer sausage. However, in things like snack sticks (ie Slim Jims) I don't add any.

I typically add 15% pork fat and 15% pork shoulder to a batch of sausage. The only time I deviate from that mix is when I make Breakfast or Italian sausage, I add 30% pork fat to that.

Nice buck, Dustin!

I think I'll invite myself over for a bratwurst and a beer!

Congrats to you and the wifey! :)

We should plan a Duck hunt in early December in my new boat. It has a stove to cook on in it. Brats and cupped mallards would be a sweet combo.

As you can see I stay out of my wife's way when she has a knife and nuts in her hands.:eek:

Attachments

• Claire's Antelope Buck3.jpg
    Claire's Antelope Buck3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 189

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back