Sako A7 vs Tikka T3X

bivyhunter

I am in the market for a new 30-06. Was looking real hard at a new Tikka, but I found a deal where I can get a Sako A7 Roughtech for basically the same price as the Tikka. I actually like the feel of the added weight to the Sako. Both seem like good rifles for my purposes, but curious if anyone would go for the Tikka over the A7 for the same price?

I can only speak to the Tikka in 30-06 as that is my current elk gun but I can certainly vouch for the Tikka's accuracy, functionality, trigger, and ease of creating loads. I did upgrade the recoil pad on my gun to the sims limbsaver chamber pad; a simple swap out took any sting out of a light rig loaded heavy. The gun is a no brainer but I recognize Sako as the upper end parent company of Tikka and I would assume the A7's quality to surpass that of the T3 economy gun. Sounds like you have a good problem in front of you.

-DR

They are both great rifles. A few thoughts as an A7 owner. Magazines are stupid expensive for the A7, not so much for the Tikka. Aftermarket parts are limited, but increasing for the A7. There is a thriving market for aftermarket Tikka parts. Both rifles can shoot lights out with the proper loads.

Thanks fellas... I am leaning real hard toward the Sako. A few of the aftermarket options I would be looking for on the Tikka basically come standard on the A7.

I have the A7, the beauty of the gun is that it is ready to go out of the box and doesn't need any upgrades. It has great trigger, a good stock and all of the controls of a Sako 85.

The only negative I've found is that you can only seat bullets 0.050" over the saami OAL and still fit inside of the magazine. If you reload and like short rifling jumps with VLD bullets this might be an issue.

A7 here too. Love my 300wsm Tecomate. Yes those mags are stupid expensive. Very accurate. and the trigger is very nice as stated. I don't use any of the VLDs so have had no issues with my handloads.

I went with the A7 today. Just incase anyone is interested. Sportsmans Warehouse has them on sale for $799. That’s as good of a deal I’ve seen for these and I’ve been looking for a few years now. The sale doesn’t show on the website, but all stores have them on sale.

I went with the A7 today. Just incase anyone is interested. Sportsmans Warehouse has them on sale for $799. That’s as good of a deal I’ve seen for these and I’ve been looking for a few years now. The sale doesn’t show on the website, but all stores have them on sale.

You won't regret it mate they're great guns!

I have an A7 roughtech in 300wm, great trigger, butter smooth bolth, and haven't found a load yet that it doesn't shoot well. It loves the 200g ELDX, though. It's a little heavy but not too heavy, 7.8lbs with a 4-12x40 scope on it. hornady
I have a tikka t3 in 270wsm that I love equally, it's a pound lighter loaded, and equally accurate, but a little more fickle with response to loads.
Can't go wrong either way.

Glad to see the A7 get some love. I was really torn between the A7 and a Tikka as well. I feel they both would do the same job and be equally durable but the A7 just "felt" right and was so close in price. Mine is chambered in .300 Win Mag. I gotta say $799 is a hell of a price for this gun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back