Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need some load development opinions

If you don't make any adjustment to your scope, does your POI return to zero upon your next outing? Have you checked your scope's mounting? Have you confirmed the scope itself is good?
If you're shooting off of a rest, make sure your sling studs are not coming in contact with the rest.

Check that your barrel is floating. I generally look for at least 3 $1 bills worth of clearance. If you have the factory bottom metal check that your action screw torque is no more than 35 in-lb.

The fact that you keep having groups drift left leads me to believe you have a scope issues
Correct. No scope adjustments, returns to zero.

Scope is a year old Leupold Vx3i CDS-ZL Duplex reticle

Last edited:
Just so I’m following - are you moving zero at all after you clean? The rifle zero is set, it shoots progressively left until you clean it, then it returns back to the zero?

If so, doesn’t sound like a scope issue.

Just so I’m following - are you moving zero at all after you clean? The rifle zero is set, it shoots progressively left until you clean it, then it returns back to the zero?

If so, doesn’t sound like a scope issue.

Correct, the scope hasn’t been adjusted for months at this point.

I only got about 10 shots through after the wipeout before my POI moved left again. The thing about it though is I wouldn’t even say it’s moving progressively left, at some point the point POI just moves 5 inches to the left (at 200) while shooting.

I ran a brush and hoppes before shooting yesterday, and that got me two shots dead center and touching before it put 4 bullets to the left.

Seems like the rifle is awfully sensitive to something. I took care to wait at least 5+ minutes yesterday between shots and only shot 6 in total. I think I’m going to take it out today, no cleaning, and take 1 or 2 shots only.

Last edited:
From what you describe this could be a heat issue. As you shoot, things heat up, metal expands, and something tightens up and affects accuracy. Once the accuracy starts to go let the gun sit for an hour to cool then shoot again to see if accuracy problems remain.

From what you describe this could be a heat issue. As you shoot, things heat up, metal expands, and something tightens up and affects accuracy. Once the accuracy starts to go let the gun sit for an hour to cool then shoot again to see if accuracy problems remain.
this - and copper fouling

This is still a new rifle and I doubt it is fully broken in. You will get more copper fouling even in a hand lapped barrel until the machining in the throat wears in.
I like this explanation on the Kreiger website. The fouling comes from vaporized copper condensing as it travels down the bore. Kreiger has the most draconian break-in regimen I've ever read.

This. It sounds like a contact issue. I highly doubt a brush and Hoppes is curing a several inch POI shift.

How do I address a contact issue that starts to show itself after a few shots or Should I just leave it be a roll with it?

How do I address a contact issue that starts to show itself after a few shots or Should I just leave it be a roll with it?
First confirm that’s what it is by allowing lots of cooling time. After you’ve confirmed it, then you can start sleuthing it out.

It also could simply be barrel heat. How light is that barrel?

First confirm that’s what it is by allowing lots of cooling time. After you’ve confirmed it, then you can start sleuthing it out.

It also could simply be barrel heat. How light is that barrel?
Smoke black or Blue Dykem. Any contact spots would be rubbed clean

Apply Blue Dykem to the action and barrel area and allow to dry. Put together and shoot, try to get the rifle to mis-behave like you described. Take it apart and look for areas that are missing the Dykem. That would determine if those areas are rubbing. Post pics so we can see them but you most likely will have to relieve those areas

Everyone here is saying clean your gun and yes, of course clean your shit. But also try a crimp. I’ve crimped both by screwing down my seating die a half turn or so and Lee FCD. I’ve had more consistency with the Lee FCD. Groups tightened and repeatable precision.

Also try adding a Limbsaver X-Ring on your barrel. It’s inexpensive, looks goofy, could tune you to impressive accuracy.

So same shooting session it hits dead nuts. Then starts to wander left. Then you clean and it comes back to center? Or are we talking multiple days?

So same shooting session it hits dead nuts. Then starts to wander left. Then you clean and it comes back to center? Or are we talking multiple days?

Same session shoots dead
Nuts then starts to wander.

Clean it and come back, sometimes don’t clean it, and come back days later and it’s back to being easily less than 1 inch…

Same session shoots dead
Nuts then starts to wander.

Clean it and come back, sometimes don’t clean it, and come back days later and it’s back to being easily less than 1 inch…
Try a different scope. Make a long shooting session to allow you to eliminate barrel heat during the same session.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back