Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Roofing Question

idnative1948

If any of you are in the biz or had it done lately.

Two layer tear off, replace with roughly 31-33 squares, 30yr architectural, 7-10K? Close, or not close? AND that is after I tear off the gutters, replace all facia and some bad soffits.

You have to ask the illegal guatamalins.. The illegal mexicans won't do it anymore.

In eastern Idaho we would be roughly $9500 as long as the roof pitch is not over a 7/12. Probably a little cheaper if it is a simple roof design. Shouldn't be anymore that this. You definatly want to have proof of current liability insurance, work comp, and a permit form the city you reside. A lot of fly-by-nights that will do it cheaper, but you know the old saying about that.

In eastern Idaho we would be roughly $9500 as long as the roof pitch is not over a 7/12. Probably a little cheaper if it is a simple roof design. Shouldn't be anymore that this. You definatly want to have proof of current liability insurance, work comp, and a permit form the city you reside. A lot of fly-by-nights that will do it cheaper, but you know the old saying about that.

THANKS! This is the kind of chit I need to know!
Where in eastern Idaho? I grew up over there (well at least for 27 years).

Last edited:
If your fascia and soffits are bad, there's a good chance you'll need to replace some roof sheathing as well. $4500 for the roofing and install, another $2000 for tear off and haul. Thats if your doing the work on the soffits and fascia.

I live in Pocatello. Got sucked in in 1998 when I came to ISU for school. I still think this is a wierd town but the area around us is 2nd to none for hunting and fishing opportunity! My degree is so usefull in this town that I am a general contractor and also own a siding, roofing, gutter company. Who new you needed a five year degree for this shizz:D

I live in Pocatello. Got sucked in in 1998 when I came to ISU for school. I still think this is a wierd town but the area around us is 2nd to none for hunting and fishing opportunity! My degree is so usefull in this town that I am a general contractor and also own a siding, roofing, gutter company. Who new you needed a five year degree for this shizz:D

Just down the road from Blackfoot....
And yes, some good hunting over your direction. We used to do the 2-deer area over by Soda Springs in the 60's.

If your fascia and soffits are bad, there's a good chance you'll need to replace some roof sheathing as well. $4500 for the roofing and install, another $2000 for tear off and haul. Thats if your doing the work on the soffits and fascia.

Doing soffits and facia myself. Reason for having to do facia/soffits is that the starter course is the old cedar shingle which over the years has acted like a sponge. At minimum will also be replacing the first row of boards (1" ship lap) all the way around. No sheating on this one as built in 50.

not sure what the rules are out there, but you might want to use fire and ice around the bottom of the roof line. also, use it in any valleys you may have.

hard to give a price. guessing the taxes and costs are way higher here. guessing around $7500.00 if you are tearing it off and cleaning it up? plus, need to know how many vents, stink pipes, etc.

I get $250 a sq for tear off and install.All materials included and dumpster.Thats below average for my area so I can get every roof I want.Just alot easy ways of making a buck,but still do a few each year.I'd say your fine on your figures.

16 years of roofing, and slowly progressing into commercial work. You guys can keep your emotional home owners.:D

33 square I would be around 8,250.00.

Material seems to be running around 110.00 per square.

If your hiring it out, find an owner operator. Piss on paper contractors that hire messicans to do their work.

16 years of roofing, and slowly progressing into commercial work. You guys can keep your emotional home owners.:D

33 square I would be around 8,250.00.

Material seems to be running around 110.00 per square.

If your hiring it out, find an owner operator. Piss on paper contractors that hire messicans to do their work.

JL
Very good point! I just don't want to get jacked in the azz. So you have some questions I should ask? I am tight with my money, but willing to pay for the job to be done right. Emotional home owners? Tell me about it. I used to do landscaping on the side (only made it two years because of, well you have been there).

My first question would be
"Are you on the job working with your guys".
"Do you use subs" (if so, cut him out and find his sub.:)

Do you have an Angies List out there?

Just checked, you do have an angies list. Thats a good place to look as you can not buy a good rating like you can the BBB.

No money up front. Any contractor that is worth 2 cents has a 30 day credit line of enough money in the bank to pay for the materials upfront, before getting a check from you.

Most roofs should take 1 to 2 days at most, ask them how long it will take.

Have their insurance agent send you a certificate of GL (general Liability) and workers comp.(dont take one from the contractor) this is the industry standard and is free from the agent.

If a roofer gets hurt and the owner doesnt have workers comp, your homeowners insurance will get sued.

Ill think more about it later, I have a misguided youth to straighten out about suppressors in another thread. :)

Thanks Jason. Sound like you are a stand-up guy. Printing off your questions so I don't sound like a complete shmuck when I call for another quote. Last one just delivered about ten minutes ago to the tune of $11,500.

I don't know many contractors that don't want some $$ up front.Too easy to get beat.I would expect to pay 1/2 down at least.Shouldn't be more then $8000 really for that many sq.,but depends on the roof.The rest of his questions I totally agree with

No money up front. Any contractor that is worth 2 cents has a 30 day credit line of enough money in the bank to pay for the materials upfront, before getting a check from you.

I always get money up front, and it has nothing to do with my ability to pay for materials before being paid myself. It IS all about getting a real commitment from the owner. Until he "has some skin in the game", too many things can go wrong, and guess who's left holding the bag?

I might also suggest that if a contractor needs to tap the line of credit to cover a $5k material expenditure, he may not be worth 2 cents. ;)

16 years in the roofing contractor game I have been beat out of 467.00 by another contractor. Zero money up front from homeowners and less than 20 signed contracts in those years. I average 120 roofs a year.

You guys need to pick better customers.

In Indiana it still is not the norm to ask for money up front from stable roofing companies. Actually if you do it here the chances are the HO will balk.

I guess I have it better here than I thought.

Everything Jason said about NO MONEY UPFRONT! Jason, what would it cost ID1948 to go with a Metal Roof? My wife hired a Contractor to remodel our Kitchen, she paid him as he asked and he walked after $23,000....no kitchen and if ya screw up with a Contractor your are truly screwed! There are few recourses other that spend big bucks on a Lawyer only to get a judgment on the old boy who files for Bankruptcy and is back on a job the next day! John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back