PEAX Equipment

Road Hunting

Well i got news for you there are slobs everywhere i can't tell you how many times i've been a long ways from the nearest road only to come across candy wrappers Beer/soda cans water bottles ect.

I live right above a popular road-hunting road. Every day during rifle season, the hordes from Helena are driving up and down - a truck pulled over every quarter mile or so to glass the open stuff above. And here's the fact of the matter. Those road-hunters are often successful.

In country that is heavily roaded with heavy pressure road hunting can be effective. I'm certainly not condoning it as a method of hunting I appreciate or engage in. But I know quite a few obese and old locals who slay bulls and bucks year-in and year-out by simply putting in time behind the dashboard. When there are no large swaths of roadless areas for Elk to take cover in or when those areas are limited,as they are in the section of the Boulder Mountains where I live, elk simply spend hunting season on the run. Rotating between taking cover in the areas devoid of roads, and being pushed out of those areas by the heavy pressure that recognizes those areas as the only legit locations to get away from motorized use.

Basically, heavily roaded/heavily pressured country kind of sucks.

I understand that some folks are unable to hunt without use of a vehicle, and I'm fine with them doing what they need to to continue to enjoy doing what they love. I'm even ok with people who just like to hunt from a vehicle. Whatever floats your boat. The thing that really makes me mad is hiking my butt into a non-motorized or walk-in only area and having some yahoos come driving cross country "road hunting".

On my first ever solo hunt I had two guys, probably mid-30s, no orange, clearly physically capable of walking into the walk-in area, come driving cross-country along the top of the coulees I was hiking. They clearly saw I was there. As I closed in on the best cover, they raced up ahead of me, parked at the end and got out, rifles in hand, waiting for me to push deer to them. I walked to the top of the rim where they could see me, made it obvious I saw them, then dumped my pack and stretched out for a nap. They gave up and drove on after about 15 minutes, at which point I picked up my stuff, dove back down to the bottom and promptly filled my tag. I'm happy to help those who need it, but I refuse to bird dog for those who are lazy and completely disregard the rules.

im assuming your not referring to guys that are to old to hike or have medical issues. (Handicap permits) this is the only way I get to enjoy hunting with my father these days. And believe it bothers him way more then anyone else that he can't get into the mountains on foot.

Nope. I'm talking about able bodied people that don't have medical issues that can get out of their vehicles and hunt.

im assuming your not referring to guys that are to old to hike or have medical issues. (Handicap permits) this is the only way I get to enjoy hunting with my father these days. And believe it bothers him way more then anyone else that he can't get into the mountains on foot.
I can understand where the OP is coming from, but with all the injured servicemen returning from Afghanistan i bet some of them are road hunters which has been forced upon them by no fault of there own.
Cheers
Richard

I say get out and enjoy the hunt in whatever capacity you're able to whether your an 18 year old with multiple sclerosis or a 80 year old with arthritis and a hip replacement. If someone is limited to hunting near roads I see no reason it would affect all of the cam Haynes types of the world.

People can pee in bottles all they want its when they throw it out of the truck thats the problem.

You nailed it Elkmagnet. I have medical issues with bad knees and arthritis. I still manage to limp off the road, away from my UTV a quarter mile or so. I still manage to kill a critter now and again. I guess I ain't lucky, I have yet to see a big buck or Bull standing along the road, that I could get a legal shot at....you know, be off the road over the ditch. They don't seem to wait for me, I'm too old and slow.

Well i got news for you there are slobs everywhere i can't tell you how many times i've been a long ways from the nearest road only to come across candy wrappers Beer/soda cans water bottles ect.

This drives me absolutely nuts. Especially after Halloween here in Montana, guys fill up on fun size candy bars and leave a trail of wrappers on the logging roads they're walking.

Even better- getting dropped off on the tundra 150 miles from the nearest road, and finding baby wipes and Mountain House wrappers blown all over the hillside from where some idiot buried his garbage the year before and a bear or fox dug out. All they had to do was walk it 1/4 mile back up to the airstrip to put on the plane.

I can't comprehend what can go through a guys mind before make a decision like that.

The littering bothers me more than road hunting. That and the poaching.

Agreed. My point exactly, but it ties to people throwing pee bottles out of the window. And yes there are slobs everywhere. I pick garbage up in the mountains all of the time and not just along side the road. And I fully understand people that are not physically able to get out and hunt and road hunting is their only option. That I get and respect.

We, as hunters, promote that hunting is conservation. Many times us hunters are blasted by the media and non-hunters for what we do. The least we can do is not give them a reason to add to their cause. Pick up after yourself, don't poach, follow the laws and be respectful of your environment and the privilege we have to be able to hunt. There are many people that would take that privilege away if they could. Why give them a reason?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back