NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Rifle/Cartridge Considerations

I was thinking of bringing a .243 is that too light? These are small animals.

.243 Win with a well constructed bullet is a great round for pronghorn. It is not too light in the least. Welcome to the site and good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
.243 is a great antelope caliber, as well as the 25-06. I use them both, as the .243 Sako is light if I go for long walks, while the 25-06 is a Ruger heavy barrel that weighs a ton, but will reach out there and touch them pretty good.

Two or three extra pounds is not going to make or break you on a day long hunt. The ability to shoot one gun confidently an extra 200 yards over the other one is going to give you way more options to shoot. When that 82" antelope is bedded down in the wide open at 409 yards and you are out of cover, do you want to have to walk two miles out around to come in on the other side of him for a 275 yard shot or do you want to lay there and wait for him to stand up?

I shot a 243 with a bull barrel for years, Too young to realize that it was heavy, Damn, that gun was on target always.

308 win

I shot a 86 in B&C in New Mexico and my wife shot a 84 in B&C the next year in New Mexico
I have shot a 308 since the early 70s and have never hunted anything that it would not kill. Dead is dead and bullet placement is everything and it don't beat the crap out of me. I am a wossey hope I spelled that right. My wife shot her Antelope with a 243. A lot of people shoot big cal rifles well I enjoy watching the hair roll up when I shoot. I must say Antelope hunting is one of the most enjoyable hunts I have ever been on.

I say put the 7mm on your pack and take it. I shot a 7mm on my one and only antelope hunt and it served me well. Obviously you can kill a goat with a lot less gun, but the 7mm shooting the Berger will be nice in the wind. I thought I had seen wind hunting in west TX, but WY was a whole new level!

this year my antelope hunting will be done with my Browning 25-06 117 Hornady Interlock topped with my new ZEISS Conquest in 3-15X42. The scope is alittle heavy for my liking but will give it a try.That is if I do not find a scope I like better.

this year my antelope hunting will be done with my Browning 25-06 117 Hornady Interlock topped with my new ZEISS Conquest in 3-15X42. The scope is alittle heavy for my liking but will give it a try.That is if I do not find a scope I like better.

You'll like that round in your 25-06. That's the reload I'm using in my Ruger and it more than reaches out and gets the job done.

Sounds to me like you've got about 6 months to wring that '06 out to get as comfortable as you are with your 7 LRM. Take both rifles with and make the decision on what to carry when you get in your hunting area. Both rifles are more than adequate.

If you are looking at long hikes I would pay more attention to how your going to pack either rifle versus which one to carry. A rifle thrown oven your shoulder with a conventional sling makes for a long day. Someone has already showed you an Eberlestock type pack above - I personally use a kifaru gun bearer on my pack - there are others also.

For antelope I don't care how much my rifle weighs. I have a 338 lapua that I have shot several antelope with because I enjoy reaching out and touching them. The fiancé has a 308 with high end glass and a bull barrel. She doesn't like that it weighs 11 lbs but she and her little frame lug it around because she is comfortable shooting out to 600 yards with it. And she killed her antelope at over 500 last year. I would shoot whatever rifle your most comfortable with and not be afraid to carry a few more pounds. You will likely spend most of the day in the truck looking at goats before you end up chasing them. At least that is how many of Wyoming units work.

I have taken to heart the "how you carry it" theology and think I have a solution. I bought a Tenzing TZ-2220 day pack with a rifle/bow holder. I packed what I thought I would need in the field, including the heavy bull barreled rifle, and it carried very nice. I think it will be very comfortable even for long distances. I plan on doing some long hikes with that rig, but I think it is going to work well. Yet more good advice from guys!

Rifle weight has never crossed my mind when antelope hunting. Like others have said in Wyoming you put on alot of miles in the truck and alot of time on your glass. I have used rifles weighing as little as 6.5# and as heavy as 22#.

I use a fast twist 22-250 shooting 80Gr amax bullets with great success, but I live in the Red Desert and can run out and hunt after work depending on my tag. If I were traveling for an antelope hunt I wouldn't be using my 22-250, probably my 257 weatherby or 25-06, both are 10# plus.

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but I'm planning on my first pronghorn hunt this fall, and I'm going to be using my .270 and was wondering if the same 130 grain bullets I used for blacktail hunting would suffice? Also, has anyone used copper alloy bullets?

Your .270 will be fine. Just make sure and shoot them through the ribs and stay away from their shoulders or you'll have a mess just like with most any caliber.

Rifle weight has never crossed my mind when antelope hunting. Like others have said in Wyoming you put on alot of miles in the truck and alot of time on your glass. I have used rifles weighing as little as 6.5# and as heavy as 22#.

I use a fast twist 22-250 shooting 80Gr amax bullets with great success, but I live in the Red Desert and can run out and hunt after work depending on my tag. If I were traveling for an antelope hunt I wouldn't be using my 22-250, probably my 257 weatherby or 25-06, both are 10# plus.

I have done the light rifle thing and now, my rifles are all pretty heavy. Heavy rifles get tiresome to carry, but it is sure easier to get a solid shot with them.

bwcatripper, I have shot the Barnes TTSX (tipped triple shock X bullet) in my 7mm RM described earlier. It was an accurate bullet in that rifle and I plan to go back and experiment with them again. In general they are constructed to stay together so weight retention is generally around 100%. I know many people that load them actually go up one size in weight. I am interested in developing a load for wild pigs and the TTSX will probably be my starting point. I want something that will stay together and penetrate and I think it is a good candidate.

.22-250?

I realize this caliber may be on the light side, but how do those of you who have taken lopes feel about the .22-250 using Nosler Bonded Performance Bullets 22 Caliber 64 Grain Spitzer? :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back