PEAX Equipment

Rifle/Cartridge Considerations

Lumberjack

Like many I am sure, I have been lurking here for a while and have been overwhelmed with the knowledge (and civility :)) shared on this forum. I am planning my first pronghorn hunt and have been struggling with a rifle decision. I thought now may be a good time to come out of the shadows and pose my question to some folks with some real experience in this field. I have two rifles that should work, but they are very different. Please forgive me if I am splitting hairs.

Rifle #1 is a Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm Rem. Mag. It has a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x on it and has a Timney trigger in it. It is very accurate and I am comfortable shooting it out to 400 yards. Obviously a suitable chambering, if not overkill. Downside, it weighs just shy of a ton.

Rifle #2 is a Weatherby Vanguard in .30/06. It wears a 4.5-14x Burris Full Field II and also has a Timney trigger. It is in a Bell and Carlson M40 stock and is reasonably light. I have shot game with it out to 250 yards, but obviously the cartridge is capable of getting to the 400 yard mark (with me being the limiting factor, not the cartridge). I'm not as comfortable with this rifle beyond the 250 yard mark, but could work on it.

Some other information... I am planning on spending some time hiking in and getting off the roads. I am 45 years old and in reasonable shape.

So I guess my question boils down to this, would I be a fool for not taking the rifle with the better glass and that I am more comfortable with for longer shots? Is conventional wisdom that I am going to be hating life lugging around a super heavy rifle, possibly for days? All the while when I have a much lighter rifle that is also capable. If I fly to WY I will probably travel with only one.

I know this is basically personal preference. What I would like to hear is anyone's personal experience that led them to a "I'll never do that again..." type scenario. That, and if the answer is obvious just tell me :). It is not obvious to me right now.

Thanks in advance. -Lumberjack

I'd take the one that's easier to carry. It hasn't been very often I couldn't get within 300 yards of a pronghorn, and most have been closer than that.

I take at least 2, sometimes 3, rifles on every hunt. I have my main rifle, which I think your 7 mag is the better choice with the trigger and better glass. I would also bring the 30-06 as a back up incase you bump the scope on the 7 mag or something goes wrong. Murphy travels and always shows his ugly head at the most inopportune times. Having a second rifle has saved my butt a couple of times. Get a double case and bring them both together. Yes, the 7 mag will be heavy, but if it's the better shooter, then I think the choice is obvious. My personal opinion is to bring both of them, just in case.

Last edited:
Try to use your eyes and not your legs as much as possible. Pronghorn move around a lot, one minute none the next a herd. Get on a hill top and glass, you may not have as much lugging as you think.

I would use what I was most comfortable shooting because with that also comes confidence. But as suggested you may want to take both. You have time to condition yourself between now and then too.

Yep, what Cush said! Take both and if you fly either get an extra case for one of them or a double case that will hold both. I'd use the lighter of the two, but if you're more comfortable with the mag then carry it, as antelope aren't as hard a hunt as up in the mountains chasing elk.

I never seem to do as much hiking as glassing when I'm hunting antelope. I like to cover country via vehicle, hike up to, or out to, good glassing points and look over as many antelope as possible.

So, for me, weight really isn't that big of an issue when it comes to rifle selection.

If it were me, I would probably shoot the 7 RM. Its never a bad idea to have a back up rifle either.

I never seem to do as much hiking as glassing when I'm hunting antelope. I like to cover country via vehicle, hike up to, or out to, good glassing points and look over as many antelope as possible.

So, for me, weight really isn't that big of an issue when it comes to rifle selection.

If it were me, I would probably shoot the 7 RM. Its never a bad idea to have a back up rifle either.

Buzz, doesn't your wife use a 25-06 #1 on pronghorn?

I think it depends on the type of unit you will be hunting. If it's a good unit with a lot of public land on it, you'll probably be doing more driving and glassing from either the vehicle or vantage points close to the road. For this, the 7 would be just fine. If it's an area with tough access, you may be doing more hiking to get away from the roads where small pieces of public open up into larger areas. I'd prefer the 30-06 for a hunt like this.

On our hunt last year 3 of us shot 6 antelope. Farthest shot was 250 yards. Three were shot at around 150 yards, one was shot at 60 yards, and one was shot at 40 yards. In the area we were, it was not difficult at all to get within that 250 yard range. People shoot them with bows all the time, so your 30-06 will obviously do the trick.

I'd say take out whichever one you'd enjoy more. That's what it's all about.

30-06 w/ a good 165 grain bullet. You're going to be walking a lot more than shooting.

Unless you are old and broken down, or a girly man, a pound or two of weight should not be an issue. I will take accuracy and dependability over light weight ANY day. I don't care how light a rifle is to carry, it is useless if you don't feel comfortable making the shot with it.

The 7 mag is NOT overkill. There is no such thing as too dead and the bullets from your 7 mag will not tear anything up worse than any other caliber. If that gun is as accurate as it should be with that kind of glass on it, then do a lot of practicing out as far as you feel comfortable and go kill stuff. I shoot Hornady 139-grainers from my 7mag for deer and antelope and it does a great job. Stay in the rib cage and you will have a dead animal with minimal damage.

The 30-06 will do a good job also, but if you are more comfortable shooting the heavier rifle then go lift weights or something!:eek:

And, welcome to the site!

Wow, these are some really great insights, in particular on matching the rifle to the type of hunting I'm doing. A key take away is plan to take both. I can see where that could be critical a trip this far from home. Thanks for all of the replies, and by all means keep them coming. I value all of the experience you guys have!

Since I don't need a 25lb daypack when looking for lopes (as opposed to elk/mule deer), I use one of these. Rifle weight largely becomes irrelevant because your back doesn't seem to notice weight like your arms do. Hands are free to carry binos or a spotter/tri-pod. Works great.

Attachments

• H1-3.jpg
    H1-3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,508
Eberlestock H1 Mini-Me with a rifle scabbard by the same brand, BTW.

The pockets are big enough to get a knife, tags, water bottle etc. into. If I kill one, I just head back to the truck and get the cart or a bigger pack.

I agree with John to take both. I think the first day I would take the lighter rifle because you are likely to be doing a lot of hiking and exploring getting the feel for things. Then you can decide which rifle best suites the situation. It is possible you will find a dandy buck that may need the extra range and confidence you need to have for long shots. I promise when you are making a stalk you wont notice the extra weight. Good luck and have fun.

Hey, maybe you can use it for leverage to "justify" a new gun!

Both rifles will get the job done. I think it boils down to personal preference and which rifle you are more comfortable shooting. Weight is an obvious factor. As already mentioned, you may want to bring both in case you need a backup.

Switching the glass is an option. I am leaning against it right now. This is probably irrational, but I have the M700LR so dialed in right now I hate to jack with anything. I am shooting a 168gr VLD Hybrid out of it and it is just shooting crazy good. My last group was six shots into somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" at 100 yards. Roughly the size of a nickel. That is the reason I am leaning towards it being my number one gun on my pronghorn hunt. If something happens and I do end up having to extend my range that is the rifle I want in my hands. I also have more good chrono data on it making my drop chart more refined. The more I think about it, If I had to choose right now, I would take both, but the 7 mag would be "first string".

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back