Rifle caliber for elk?!

I agree w/ the 1500ft/lb guideline and that puts the 308 at a solid 350 yd elk weapon, shooting Federal 180 gr Partitions.

I appreciate all the opinions about the rifles. No need to make comments towards those who are inviting me on an amazing hunt opportunity.

I personally have very little hunting time with rifles as I love bowhunting so much. I would just as soon bring my bow on this trip, but when invited to a hunt camp you do as the hunters do. I plan to get as close as possible and show off my bowhunting skills to get closer than 100yds if I can. This hunt is in New Mexico in the winter so I have no idea how a late season hunt compares to the elk activity during the rut, but I can imagine its tough when the elk are in larger herds.

I plan to hit the range on monday with the 3 guns I mentioned to try them out. based on what I've read, I will not likely try the 7mm, but who knows.

Thanks again for the honesty and helpful opinions. Hopefully I'll have a neat story to share with all of you to repay all the stories I've read.

My Dad shot some pretty big moose in Alaska with a .308, the largest having an antler spread of 58". It was so big we couldn't tow the dressed-out carcass behind our 6-wheeled track rig, we had to cut off the hindquarters and put the in the cab with us. :)

One thought, if you're winter hunting it might be pretty tough to get within 100 yards. No reflection on your skills, but you will likely be sneaking up on a group of elk, and it's rare that at least 2-3 don't have their eyes on watch.

Good luck and have a great time!

Well, my inexperience may be showing there, but I'm truly hoping to close that distance as much as possible. Its not that I don't think I can make the 200yd shot, but I want to use my woodsmanship more than my marksmanship.

I'm getting more and more excited about this hunt and its still 3 months away!

Sounds like a great time and quite the invite from your friends. I too like to try to get as close to my target as I can. Shot this years bull elk at about 50 yards with my 270 win. Shooting a 140 grain Nosler Accubond. Like was stated earlier, late season elk often means larger herds in open sage flats or on south facing slopes where the snow isn't as deep. This usually means longer shots, but on occasion you can get a closer shot if you get a herd to come to you, if you can cut off their travel route. Practice as much as you can in the next couple months out to 300 yards and that 200 yard shot will be much easier when the opportunity arrives. Let us know what firearm you have decided to go with and what kind of groups you were able to get out to 200 and 300 yards.

I killed my biggest elk (344 Wyoming bull) with a .257 weatherby, I have killed elk with a 270 WSM, the .257 Weatherby, a 280 Remington and a 7 mm. I now only have two rifles. The .257 weatherby and a 300 WSM. The 300 WSM is my build for a bucket list moose Alaska hunt (next year health permitting) and the .257 Weatherby is my all around deer/lope gun. All of the guns you lusted will kill an elk. Its all about shot placement. The 257 on the Wyoming Bull was a complete pass through with a 115 barnes at about 3400 fps. I love that rifle because I am so comfortable shooting it. Best of luck.

No expert but for cow elk at the very moderate ranges noted, any of those and some lesser firepower on cow elk is fine. I am no kind of rifle shot but with a scope that dials up to 9x, the 200 yards is a chip shot for a steady hand on a rest or bipod.

Sounds like you are in for a real treat of a hunt. Try to not do what I seem to do which is drilling both shoulders and shattering bones--a lot of wasted meat.

I kill cow elk with a 270 wsm and never lack for firepower. They fall over. Leave the 300 win mag at home for cow elk hunts and have never regretted it.

Glad you opened this thread, do provide posts and pics of the shooting practices, thoughts on guns you are shooting, etc. Probably a valuable discussion to be had for many folks. The prep for any hunt can be a very enjoyable part of the full hunt.

Last edited:
338 to 25/35... they all kill elk

One day I shot a cow with my 338 win mag and she ran 300 yards before stopping to let me put another round in her... minutes after field dressing 3 more cows showed up and my 13 year old shot one with his 25-06 in she dropped dead in 30 yards.

I have spend the past 6 years hunting with the 338 win mag just because I want that much energy transferred on impact... shooting Fusion or Barnes bullets there is very little meat damage. That is my choice and I am comfortable shooting it. Main reason for a larger than normal caliber is Murphy's Law... I have seen a complete broadside shot turn into a shoulder hit within a second as the elk stepped to the side. In such a case I want the odds in my favor for a clean and swift kill.

As everyone says... shoot what is comfortable.

As a kid I hunted with a lever action 25/35 ... that little gun put a ton of elk meat on the table for my family since my great uncle bought it following WWII. Of course you didnt take shots over 100 yards with it but a well placed bullet was deadly.

All of the calibers mentioned will do a fine job ,accuracy is the key , just my opinion but shoot the heaviest caliber you can shoot accurately , and if the elk is still standing keep shooting til he is on the ground. Out of the 3 choices you mentioned go with the 7 mag. By the way I love my 300 WSM.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with any of the calibers you have in mind.
I personally use a 7mm mag for all my hunting.

I agree .338 win mag 225 Barnes drops them I dropped my first and only elk last year at 625 yards.

You can't go wrong with any of the calibers you have in mind.
I personally use a 7mm mag for all my hunting.

+1 on that. They all work. It's about knowing your gun and feeling comfortable with it.

Great calibers all, but I use a 7mm Rem Mag for everything because of the flat trajectory and the mid-range grain weight (175gr.). My teenage daughter has shot 2 elk at 150+ yards with her 7mm-08 with 140gr in the timbers of NW Montana...both went down after the first shot, and made me start thinking of the recoil I have to handle with the 7mm Mag.

Another vote for 308. I have a 300 WSM, a 270, and a 308, and I just flat ENJOY shooting the 308.

Also another vote for bullet choice. Hornady GMX, Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond are my choices.

I appreciate all the honest opinions shared here. Its one of the things that keeps me coming back to these forums.

I think I've settled on purchasing my own gun so that I can focus on getting myself sighted in on my own rifle and glass. MY wife actually suggested this after hearing me discuss the difficulties with borrowing someone elses gun.

My choice of rifle will the the Ruger American Rifle in .308Win. I've found many glowing reviews of the .308 as well as the Ruger. The ballistics on the .308 are solid for elk size game and smaller and will hold the effective energy to about 350yds. As a bowhunter by trade, I have no interest in shooting that far and intend to keep my shots under 250yds.

I'm still debating on the scope I plan to buy, but I'm looking at up to $200.00 for glass. I'm thinking about the Leopold VX1 in 4-12x40, I like a simple reticle with the least amount of clutter.

I'm going to try and document my efforts to get dialed in and develop as a rifle shooter leading up to my cow hunt.

And of course, because of the bloated selection of "entry-level" rifles, I may have changed my choice of rifle.

I've read some great things about the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Its a bit more than I was looking to pay, but the reviews say the Weatherby is a higher quality rifle that fits in the beginner category simply as a matter of price tag.

And of course, because of the bloated selection of "entry-level" rifles, I may have changed my choice of rifle.

I've read some great things about the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. Its a bit more than I was looking to pay, but the reviews say the Weatherby is a higher quality rifle that fits in the beginner category simply as a matter of price tag.
That would work too! If you like that rifle, also look at the Howa models. They are made on the same actions. However, if the extra cost cuts into your scope budget, I'd got with the cheaper Ruger American. Just a personal preference, but I'd look a a 3-9X40 vs a 4.5-14 for the scope. Generally better eye relief and eye box. IMO, 9X is more than adequate for big game.

Back