Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle caliber for elk?!

Epfd217

A short into is that I've never been elk hunting or any type of long distance shooting. I rifle hunt for deer at 100yds or less with my .30-30 once a year and bowhunt the rest of the time. I was invited by coworkers to go on a cow hunt on a private ranch in New Mexico. Needless to say I am ecstatic!!!!

One major concern raised by the group is my lack of experience with shooting at distances as they say their average shot is generally 150-200yds. I have shot plenty and I am more than confident I will be solid at 200yds.

I have 3 options available to me to begin some shooting practice with. A .308, a 30-06 or a 7mm Mag.

My reading has shown that all of them are solid choices, but some opinions from my group are that the .308 is undersized. Chuckhawks.com actually rated the .308 as more than adequate and quite versatile with the best recoil for performance.

My plan is to try all three and see which has the best glass and see which one I shoot best with.

Any opinions are very welcome!

Last edited:
I have 3 options available to me to begin some shooting practice with. A .308, a 30-06 or a 7mm Mag.

My reading has shown that all of them are solid choices, but some opinions from my group are that the .308 is undersized.

Sounds like you have some good friends to invite you on such a hunt.

Sounds like you have some friends who may have never hunted elk with a .308.

I've shot my last five rifle-killed bulls with a .308 using 180 grain bullets. Ranges were from 200-310 yards. It is my rifle of choice. Accurate beyond accurate, and for some reason I still cannot explain, seems to kill things deader than it should.

Any of the calibers you have mentioned are all good elk cartridges, especially at the ranges you mention. Choose which of those rifles fits you the best, has the smoothest trigger, and go with that one. If it is any of those three calibers, it will kill any elk you encounter.

Good luck. Hope it is a great hunt.

Caliber for elk is one of the most overthought and overanalzyed subjects for hunters, IMO. Anyone that thinks a .308 is undersized for elk is drunk. With today's bullet technology, "proper" caliber size for elk has really gone out the window.

Randy is spot on. Any one of those chamberings will kill an elk just fine. I agree wholeheartedly with the strategy of choosing the rifle you like best, regardless of the chambering. However, the 7 mag would really have to be something special for me to choose it over the .308 or the 06.

Any of them are more than adequate. I would choose between the 308 or 06. 7mm may punish you a little and make you start flinching. 150-200 yds, absolutely no reason to think you need a magnum cartridge.

All three are perfectly acceptable choices. Whichever delivers the best accuracy with the best bullet is the one I would be taking.

All you need is the confidence whatever you're shooting is accurate.

I've taken multiple elk and other critters bigger and smaller with all three of your options... that said my go to elk rifle is in .284 cal, only because I'm 100% confident in it... It hasn't let me down yet and with any luck it will take another bull next month.

I would pick the lightest one of the bunch, or the one you feel shoots the best or feels the best to you. Not all rifles shoulder the same for me, consequently I shoot them differently.

Been a couple years since I hunted elk, after seeing a few this week in CO, I have the itch to put one on the ground again.

Good luck on your hunt.

When I was 12 my Dad had a rifle made for me by our local gunsmith. 42 years later I am going on a cow hunt next week. I have killed many many elk in between, never lost one I shot at. It's a 25-06 which many say is too small. I've hunted Eastern OR, MT, WY and NV. Pick the rifle you're comfortable with, don't take shots you're not comfortable with and you'll be fine. Good luck and have FUN!!!

Pick the gun that YOU shoot the best. Not from a bench, but off hand.

Buy good ammo and go kill an elk.

Any one of those 3 will do the job just fine. My choice from those 3 would be the 30-06.
I use a 300 Win Mag. as my rifle of choice, and a 30-06 as a back up rifle.

good luck.

Kevin

It amazes me how many ill-informed people say that the .308 is not adequate for elk. The joy of a .308, is that because of the moderate velocity, the .308 will do well with average bullets. It is a great caliber and can be had in light rifles.

I personally use the 7 mags. I have had great success with them and mine are seriously accurate. They don't kick any harder than a 30-06 as far as I am concerned and the bottom line is that the only time you notice recoil is on the bench.

Choose the rifle that fits you and then go with good ammo and you will be happy, happy, happy.

All I have ever used on Elk is a 270. Shot placement has given me way more advantage than a bigger caliber. The Barnes TSX/TTSX work the best for me. I have taken deer, elk, bear, and mountain goat with the same 140 grn TSX bullet out of the same 270. Any of the calibers in question can be sighted in to shoot pretty flat up to 200 yards so I wouldn't think that distance will have any bearing on caliber selection.

WOWZEER !!!! A cow elk that's too big for a 308 ??? :confused: What are these, Magadon Elk? Dude, if a 308 isn't big enough, you're going to want more gun, ALOT more than any of those 3 choices. Ask your buddies if they have a 375 Weatherby you can borrow !

Better yet, I'll volunteer to test this inadequacy theory with you. Just let me go ahead of you guys and I'll take a test shot 1st, and if this theory proves correct, then y'all open up with the Big Guns. 'K ?

Last edited:
I bought a sporterized arisaka in 6.5 jap a few years back. The guy selling it, it was his dad's rifle that he used for deer, elk, bear (brown and black), moose and caribou for over 50 years of big game hunting. I thought he was bs'ing me but then he showed me a picture of his dad with a bull moose holding the very same rifle. I think people other think caliber a lot. At the end of the day a well placed .243 bullet would outkill a poorly shot .375 HH anyday.

Shoot what is comfortable to you, my gun of choice in a model 70 extreme weather 7mm.

The first rifle I bought when I moved to Colorado was a 30-06. I killed elk, and deer, and antelope, and coyotes with it. When I was single for a few years, I loaded up on animal specific rifles more out of the want for more guns than anything else. A 30-06 is still my go to rifle and my .300 WIN MAG is a close second for if I'm expecting farther shots or in wind. I bought my wife and step daughter a .308 and they shoot it well. I would have no problem at all with them shooting an elk with it.

Confidence is key.. If there is any doubt in how accurate you shoot a particular gun it will show its ugly face while hunting. There for pic the gun your the most comfortable with. And leave no doubt that you can hit where your aiming. And don't forget to have fun doing it!

I can't speak for the 7mm Mag. I hunted elk about 20 years with a 30-06 and my dad always used a 30-06 and I am 100 percent confident in it as an elk cartridge. Ten years ago I got a mountain rlfle in 308 and worried about "powering down." Now, after killing several elk, pronghorn and deer with the 308, I am a believer. Hit 'em right, use a good bullet, and the rest is noise and fury. One other thing, IME elk hunting is not a long range game. It probably depends on where and how you hunt, but I've shot more elk inside 75 yards than outside 150.

Sounds like you have some good friends to invite you on such a hunt.

Sounds like you have some friends who may have never hunted elk with a .308.

I've shot my last five rifle-killed bulls with a .308 using 180 grain bullets. Ranges were from 200-310 yards. It is my rifle of choice. Accurate beyond accurate, and for some reason I still cannot explain, seems to kill things deader than it should.

Any of the calibers you have mentioned are all good elk cartridges, especially at the ranges you mention. Choose which of those rifles fits you the best, has the smoothest trigger, and go with that one. If it is any of those three calibers, it will kill any elk you encounter.

Good luck. Hope it is a great hunt.

Are you using the 7mm-08 this year for your elk?

I like to use 1500ft/lbs of energy as a start in deciding adequacy as an elk round. Of course good bullets, a gun you can shoot well, etc. I firmly believe you must be very comfortable with your gun, as the adrenaline rush in the field won't be a help and muscle memory should kick in when shoulder the gun and putting your finger on the trigger. Keep the yardage where the load and your experience are manageable.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back